Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police shoot and kill 16 year old girl

SeekTruth

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/news/all-systems-failed-her-attorney-for-family-of-makhia-bryant-calls-for-federal-investigation-into-her-death/530-68290467-319d-4ebb-a585-07efb113a97a

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The attorney representing the family of Ma’Khia Bryant spoke to reporters Wednesday morning, calling for a federal investigation into the fatal shooting of the 16-year-old girl.

Michelle Martin of The Martin Law Firm in Columbus said they will “investigate every agency that had a time and an opportunity to prevent Ma’Khia’s death.”

Martin went on to say, “all systems failed her.”

Its not an investigation I don't like, but the lack of taking responsibility in today's culture. 

She went after another girl with a knife, but..... It's the system that failed and should be blamed. She was fighting with a knife, but it's the cops fault he had to shoot her....

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Bullets did stop any further actions by the belligerent person. She clearly was out of control and not going to stop till someone went down. 

The knife continued past that girls upper body.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/news/all-systems-failed-her-attorney-for-family-of-makhia-bryant-calls-for-federal-investigation-into-her-death/530-68290467-319d-4ebb-a585-07efb113a97a

Its not an investigation I don't like, but the lack of taking responsibility in today's culture. 

She went after another girl with a knife, but..... It's the system that failed and should be blamed. She was fighting with a knife, but it's the cops fault he had to shoot her....

:rolleyes:

The parents failed her.  Because of them she was in the system and ended up in this position. 

12 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

What was she armed with - a potato peeler or a machete? - oh, just watched the body cam footage.

Four shots though - thats a bit enthusiastic when you don't know which ones which.

That blade was deadly.  If you deny that there is no way to discuss this honestly with you.  You have a bias and an agenda and whether you admit it or not, if that knife was that close to being lunged into YOU or someone YOU LOVE, I refuse to believe you'd still feel the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

The knife continued past that girls upper body.

Yes. Please read what I wrote. Further actions. As in after that swing, swinging again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

The parents failed her.  Because of them she was in the system and ended up in this position. 

I read that there's an investigation going to happen as to why she was still in foster care and why she wasn't with her parents. It does seem that some are trying to blame her actions on the cruelty of the foster care system. Which... I can see as possible. You are what you're raised to be. Usually.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Reread my comment about which gamble the officer should have taken. That's the exact opposite of judgment.

However I find the suggestion of five or more bullets to kill a child objectionable.

Would you be ok with 4?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

The bullets didn't stop the stabbing motion. That's a point you, and your buddy, haven't contradicted.

@spartan max2, I think I ought to introduce myself since we are evidently buddies.  So, without further adieu.... Hi. I’m SeekTruth.  When I’m not seeking truth, I enjoy a game of chess and glass of whiskey.

Anyhow, Golden Duck, as I’ve already explained to you, whether or not the bullet actually saved the girls life is not what’s important here. What is important is that the shots were fired in order to save the girl’s life. I also note that you are ignoring the obvious fact that the aggressor would have very likely attempted over and over to stab the victim. Cut this silliness out, please.

As your buddy started this thread with a reference to "arm chair critics" the position of "no opinion" is entirely reasonable to adopt.

Still pretending to not have an opinion, I see. I think I’m done with this lame duck.

Edited by SeekTruth
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SeekTruth said:

Still pretending to not have an opinion, I see. I think I’m done with this lame duck

It's in the subtitle to this thread sorry.  You use the phrase "armchair critics".  Niw you're demanding someone have am opinion. 

Hypocrite.

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, papageorge1 said:

So do you (or anyone here) know the likelihood that after being shot by a taser, she could have continued with the stabbing of someone?

Hey Papa. IDK if anyone answers you later on this, am just scanning through the thread now. Speaking as a retired cop, perhaps I can answer a bit of your wondering.

1. IDK he even carried a taser. (I never did, never wanted to).

2. That knife was up and inbound and the target was pinned against the vehicle. The stab was 2 seconds away if that long. This required a gunshot to halt and I am impressed he did it and hit nobody else despite the adrenalin rush and confusion of the scene at the moment for him. (they demanded we qualified at over 90% annually on my old dept because they said with the adrenalin rush you are gonna lose 90% accuracy on scene if it breaks as bad as it can).

3. Even if he did have a taser, the ones we had in our department took a few seconds to power up and you HAD TO yell "taser" a few times and more bs before you could shoot it and if it doesn't connect solid the first hit it fails and you have to get the dart and ... nah, I never wanted to carry one and in this case the girl being attacked would be stabbed a few times and dead probably.

So, taser is irrelevant in this scenario, IMO. Other comments i have seen on youtube and elsewhere about how he should have have just yelled at her or ordered her to drop it or  similar are simply empty for the same reason - lethal force was a second away from the girl being attacked. Only a bullet was gonna be fast enough. Further remarks about how he should have aimed at her hand, etc., is .... that's the difference between reality and Hollywood movies. Cops are just humans doing a sometimes hard job. He got her center of mass as we are trained thousands of times to do on courses annually over a career and in a moment like that it is 100% training and automatic and very little about aiming and thinking the "long division" way.

Hope this helps you understand the cop's point of view a bit easier, even if you do not agree with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Hey Papa. IDK if anyone answers you later on this, am just scanning through the thread now. Speaking as a retired cop, perhaps I can answer a bit of your wondering.

1. IDK he even carried a taser. (I never did, never wanted to).

2. That knife was up and inbound and the target was pinned against the vehicle. The stab was 2 seconds away if that long. This required a gunshot to halt and I am impressed he did it and hit nobody else despite the adrenalin rush and confusion of the scene at the moment for him. (they demanded we qualified at over 90% annually on my old dept because they said with the adrenalin rush you are gonna lose 90% accuracy on scene if it breaks as bad as it can).

3. Even if he did have a taser, the ones we had in our department took a few seconds to power up and you HAD TO yell "taser" a few times and more bs before you could shoot it and if it doesn't connect solid the first hit it fails and you have to get the dart and ... nah, I never wanted to carry one and in this case the girl being attacked would be stabbed a few times and dead probably.

So, taser is irrelevant in this scenario, IMO. Other comments i have seen on youtube and elsewhere about how he should have have just yelled at her or ordered her to drop it or  similar are simply empty for the same reason - lethal force was a second away from the girl being attacked. Only a bullet was gonna be fast enough. Further remarks about how he should have aimed at her hand, etc., is .... that's the difference between reality and Hollywood movies. Cops are just humans doing a sometimes hard job. He got her center of mass as we are trained thousands of times to do on courses annually over a career and in a moment like that it is 100% training and automatic and very little about aiming and thinking the "long division" way.

Hope this helps you understand the cop's point of view a bit easier, even if you do not agree with it.

Thank you that sounds like an informed reply.

Got to wonder if the deceased wasn’t black and the officer wasn’t white we would be having this on our front pages. Media has their hands dirty in race stirring.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Media has their hands dirty

We do not have media anymore in this country, it is massive propaganda at extreme work these days for some reason, but, that is for another topic I will probably ignore if it arises. However, despite coverage being extremely slanted, still, a girl died and a cop has to live with his decision for life, now, and the root cause of the entire thing probably has nothing to do with either of them, and that is sad all around.

Peace. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, and then said:

That blade was deadly. 

Knives are deadly. Indeed, at close range they may kill as quickly and as certainly as a gun.  True story.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 9:59 PM, SeekTruth said:

I'm going to zero in on this, because this gets to the heart of the matter.  Yes, I agree. However, any attempt on part of the officer to achieve that end would have put the victim at significant risk of death. Therefore, I think the officer chose the best option available to him.

Yes he did, more options would be great don't you think?

On 4/30/2021 at 9:59 PM, SeekTruth said:

How would you feel if your daughter were stabbed to death because a taser didn't do the trick, knowing that deadly force would have almost certainly saved her life?

I'd.be upset with the person who said the taser was fit for duty.

How would you feel if you watched your daughter die when a taser could have saved her life?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Yes he did, more options would be great don't you think?

I'd.be upset with the person who said the taser was fit for duty.

How would you feel if you watched your daughter die when a taser could have saved her life?

I really don't think you are looking at this clearly and realistically.  There was no other option.  A taser would not have been a feasible alternative.   Instead of blaming the police officer for shooting, how about the girl not bringing a knife out and attacking the girls outside. How about blaming her parents for raising her to not be so aggressive? How about blaming the parents for being poor parents so that their 2 daughters were in foster care?  How about putting the blame where it belongs, not deflecting it?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I really don't think you are looking at this clearly and realistically.  There was no other option.  A taser would not have been a feasible alternative.   Instead of blaming the police officer for shooting, how about the girl not bringing a knife out and attacking the girls outside. How about blaming her parents for raising her to not be so aggressive? How about blaming the parents for being poor parents so that their 2 daughters were in foster care?  How about putting the blame where it belongs, not deflecting it?

I simply don't agree. I've said numerous times that the officer acted upon his training. Ive not said he is actually at fault. I've said he seems to have had limited options and I see no good reason why a taser would not have sufficed in this situation. I've heard plenty of opinions but they are just that. Opinions. Not convincing IMHO. 

This is a good opportunity to better training to provide more options. The best solution would have been if everyone lived. That would be something to strive for IMHO.

And again. She was a foster child. Which set of parents are you referring to exactly?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

If there are not better options, maybe we should work on developing them.  I won't say that technology can solve everything, but there might be some progress in the next decade or two.  We might not get to "phasers on stun" , but we may get better. 

I read the article,  but I am unclear, tell me if I missed something.  The person shot could be the one who called 911 about older kids threatening to assault her?  Was it her knife or did she take it from one of the alleged assaulters? 

I have a friend who is an ICE captain.  His advice to me if I ever find myself in an active shooter situation and the police arrive is have Nothing in my hand, no firearm no cell phone, nothing.  Anybody with a weapon will be considered a target in that situation.  I think I know good advice when I hear it. 

A 16 year old kid may not have the judgement. or have heard that advice.  If she was in fear of her life, she might not have trusted to drop her protection. A fatal mistake, but a complicated one unless there was information I missed.  If this person was defending person, family , and home against attack, were they standing their ground?  If the attackers had threatened to kill her, would she be capable of instantly switch gears, suppress adrenalin reaction of fighting for life and drop the knife trusting the police would save her in time?

I think about my friends good advice and I wonder if  I were in fear for my family and stood alone as sole protector with a weapon, would I drop my  firearm quickly enough when the police arrived? If someone was screaming in my face that they were going to mess me up, would I even notice the police arrival quickly enough? 

If I were killed, it would be tragic for me, and a quick choice from very limited options for the police officer.   Better options need to be available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I simply don't agree. I've said numerous times that the officer acted upon his training. Ive not said he is actually at fault. I've said he seems to have had limited options and I see no good reason why a taser would not have sufficed in this situation. I've heard plenty of opinions but they are just that. Opinions. Not convincing IMHO. 

This is a good opportunity to better training to provide more options. The best solution would have been if everyone lived. That would be something to strive for IMHO.

And again. She was a foster child. Which set of parents are you referring to exactly?

I just don't understand what training for other options you possibly think there are ?

The main problem is the officer got there an only had a few seconds to act. It was happing as they arrived.

If they got there sooner there could of been alot more options. But with the only few seconds they had I don't see how any other training would of made any difference.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

The stab was 2 seconds away if that long. This required a gunshot to halt and I am impressed he did it and hit nobody else despite the adrenalin rush and confusion of the scene at the moment for him.

Considering that he pulled the trigger less than 10 seconds after stepping out of the vehicle, I thought it was nothing short of amazing.  It's a tragedy that this child died as she did but that officer only officiated over the end of a train of circumstances he had no control over.  He did his job.  Frankly, those who demonize people for not being perfect, should try a day in their shoes.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/2/2021 at 10:17 PM, spartan max2 said:

I just don't understand what training for other options you possibly think there are ?

The ones being discussed like the defund the police being used to introduce negotiation, better work and integration of tasers, possibly rubber bullets. Non lethal approach.

Everything can be improved upon.

On 5/2/2021 at 10:17 PM, spartan max2 said:

The main problem is the officer got there an only had a few seconds to act. It was happing as they arrived.

If they got there sooner there could of been alot more options. But with the only few seconds they had I don't see how any other training would of made any difference.

That's why a telephone operator might have made a difference here.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:48 PM, and then said:

Considering that he pulled the trigger less than 10 seconds after stepping out of the vehicle, I thought it was nothing short of amazing.  It's a tragedy that this child died as she did but that officer only officiated over the end of a train of circumstances he had no control over.  He did his job.  Frankly, those who demonize people for not being perfect, should try a day in their shoes.

Are you reading the posts? 

Who has demonised the officer? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

.Everything can be improved upon.

I think what needed improving in this situation was what happened in the 16 years of the young ladies life BEFORE she was shot. 

What led her to be so violent, and reckless, and angry, that she felt she needed to ACTUALLY murder another person.

Fix that and the officer wouldn't have been needed at all.

I think its lame to blame the officers put into No Win situations, when the people they are dealing with are highly troubled, and have no cumpuntions about hurting other people. 

Fix the actual issue... The teenager with the knife.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I think what needed improving in this situation was what happened in the 16 years of the young ladies life BEFORE she was shot. 

What led her to be so violent, and reckless, and angry, that she felt she needed to ACTUALLY murder another person.

What was the fight actually about?

8 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Fix that and the officer wouldn't have been needed at all.

I think its lame to blame the officers put into No Win situations, when the people they are dealing with are highly troubled, and have no cumpuntions about hurting other people. 

Fix the actual issue... The teenager with the knife.

AT made the same comments.

I haven't seen anyone actually blame the officer. It's not like Floyd or Wright. 

• Thanks 1