Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Study explores inner life of AI with robot that ‘thinks’ out loud

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

“Hey Siri, can you find me a murderer for hire?”

Ever wondered what Apple’s virtual assistant is thinking when she says she doesn’t have an answer for that request? Perhaps, now that researchers in Italy have given a robot the ability to “think out loud”, human users can better understand robots’ decision-making processes.

“There is a link between inner speech and subconsciousness [in humans], so we wanted to investigate this link in a robot,” said the study’s lead author, Arianna Pipitone from the University of Palermo.

The researchers programmed a robot called Pepper, made by SoftBank Robotics, with the ability to vocalise its thought processes. This means the robot is no longer a “black box” and its underlying decision-making is more transparent to the user.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/apr/21/study-inner-life-ai-robot-thinks-out-loud

https://www.cell.com/iscience/fulltext/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Desertrat56
Posted (edited)

The robot siri is not thinking anything, it is programmed with an algorithm to determine what to search for in the vast database it has access for and when it can't find something that fits that string of words it is programmed to say "I don't know" or "I can't find anything on that"

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
22 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The robot siri is not thinking anything, it is programmed with an algorithm to determine what to search for in the vast database it has access for and when it can't find something that fits that string of words it is programmed to say "I don't know" or "I can't find anything on that"

Hi Desertrat

Alexa gets a little testy when you ask her about her love life.:lol:

jmccr8

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
2 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

Alexa gets a little testy when you ask her about her love life.:lol:

jmccr8

Probably a programmer did that for a joke.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Probably a programmer did that for a joke.

Hi Desertrat

Personally I have both Siri and Alexa living in the house for the last couple of years and have never spoken to either one of them but have observed others talking to them in various states of sobriety and get a laugh out of the snipish tone Alexa has used with them.:lol:

jmccr8

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

Personally I have both Siri and Alexa living in the house for the last couple of years and have never spoken to either one of them but have observed others talking to them in various states of sobriety and get a laugh out of the snipish tone Alexa has used with them.:lol:

jmccr8

My daughter has alexa in every room and I keep telling the kids they need to learn to be nice to Alexa because some day it will have control over everything in the house and probably keeps a databse of every time someone gets cranky and yells at it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

My daughter has alexa in every room and I keep telling the kids they need to learn to be nice to Alexa because some day it will have control over everything in the house and probably keeps a databse of every time someone gets cranky and yells at it.

So long as she doesn't burn my supper we are okay.:lol:

jmccr8

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.