Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China behind another hack as U.S. cybersecurity issues mount

Grim Reaper 6

China is behind a newly discovered series of hacks against key targets in the U.S. government, private companies and the country’s critical infrastructure, cybersecurity firm Mandiant said Wednesday. The campaign is the third distinct and severe cyberespionage operation against the U.S. made public in recent months, stressing an already strained cybersecurity workforce. The U.S. government accused Russia in January of hacking nine government agencies via SolarWinds, a Texas software company widely used by American businesses and government agencies. In March, Microsoft blamed China for starting a free-for-all where scores of different hackers broke into organizations around the world through the Microsoft Exchange email program.

China behind another hack as U.S. cybersecurity issues mount (msn.com)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, that's what China's hackers do, leave a calling card and a trail back home cause that's what hackers do... 

~

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Yeah, that's what China's hackers do, leave a calling card and a trail back home cause that's what hackers do... 

~

I am certain that isn't their intention, however, the Cyber Experts in the US are as good as any in the world. In addition it's a fact that no matter how good hackers are, they always leave their unique signature and bread crumbs that can be followed back home. The computer age has certainly made our lives better and much easier in many respects, however, for all the good the worldwide web has done for mankind, their are always those who will exploit that and use it in a negative way. Your welcome to your opinion that Chinese hackers were not involved, and that some other Foriegn Actor is just trying to pin it upon them. In Truth I am not qualified to say either way who is responsible, maybe you are if so that's cool!:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am certain that isn't their intention, however, the Cyber Experts in the US are as good as any in the world.

Really? That's why they can't stop the hackers from getting through the security systems and thwarting the "ebil" Chinese hackers from hacking the US government?

Those commie hackers are so good but they stoopid enough to leave a trail of data back to China?

A fail as good as Hollywood fail. 

I once asked someone who worked at film studios in the US, why are those cyber computer hi tech movie plots so stupid, I asked, his reply? 

The audience won't be able to understand it if it were not... 

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Really? That's why they can't stop the hackers from getting through the security systems and thwarting the "ebil" Chinese hackers from hacking the US government?

Those commie hackers are so good but they stoopid enough to leave a trail of data back to China?

A fail as good as Hollywood fail. 

I once asked someone who worked at film studios in the US, why are those cyber computer hi tech movie plots so stupid, I asked, his reply? 

The audience won't be able to understand it if it were not... 

~

I never called anyone commies, and I realize that when software and hardware is designed that mistakes are made. My comments are not based upon movies. That's why White hat hackers are paid large sums of money to exploit vulnerabilities in software and hardware programs. In reality I don't believe that any hardware or software programs are completely safe, and so when a hack occurs, it is always a less to learn from. But, I also don't agree with your opinion either that no one is better than Chinese hackers or that China doesn't intentionally hack other Governments to gather intelligence. The United States is also guilty of hacking foreign Countries, including China, the difference is China will not admit it has occurred, transparency isn't something they known for, but no country is innocent of these crimes.

So your welcome to your opinion, but it doesn't mean I must agree with it.:)

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

So your welcome to your opinion, but it doesn't mean I must agree with it.:)

The difference is, I'm not stating an opinion, I used to help out my pals when they have a crunch project to set up networking servers linking up to high level workstations at high commissions and embassies...

Cyber security isn't what folks outside of the trade thinks it is. 

Heck, Snowden and Assange thought they got to the core of how things are set up but all they saw was just the localised relay security runaround. 

~

• Like 4

Like i said , they need to declare this type of thing an act of war. I'm not saying they would run out and attack someone right away , but it opens the door. I get the feeling its only a matter of time before another war as it is. Is the U.S. constantly hacking China and Russia? If not maybe they should be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

The difference is, I'm not stating an opinion, I used to help out my pals when they have a crunch project to set up networking servers linking up to high level workstations at high commissions and embassies...

Cyber security isn't what folks outside of the trade thinks it is. 

Heck, Snowden and Assange thought they got to the core of how things are set up but all they saw was just the localised relay security runaround. 

~

Like .I said I am not an expert in that field of study, however, I read voraciously and when a subject interests me I jump upon it. However, this subject doesn't really interest me, and my computer knowledge is limited to some basic programming skills that are most likely out date. To me Cyber Security it simple, my only concern is protecting my data. To do that I have a 256 bit encryption program that has encrypted my hard drive, but not is my hard drive encrypted, the program all scans all incoming data. If any malicious spyware, or other forms malicious attack occurs this program will first warn me of the threat, it will also destroy it. But, the best part is it will also send a message back to the source and trust me however was sending the crap out will not like what happens next. 

.A good friend of mine use to work for MIT, his position was a Computer Engineer and a Programer. In his spare time he would design encryption projects for Corporations and the Government. Well to make a long story short, he designed and built an encryption program for servers, Router, and computer hard drives that is unique because of the way it encrypts, and in the way it responds to an attack. Well he went from rags to very rich over night, and he sent me a thumb drive that had the program on it, all I had to do is load it. Now about every 6 months it automatically update like my MAC does. 

It must be pretty cool to have the knowledge you and friend have.

• Like 3

China's been stealing **** through cyberattacks for years now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

A nice catch 22 you got there.

"It can't be China because China wouldn't get caught." Argument makes it so you can always deny any hacking  by China.

"China wouldn't get caught, so if they do get caught it can't possibly be them"

:whistle:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

China's been stealing **** through cyberattacks for years now. 

You are thinking that the US are not doing the same ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

I imagine the US government does for military spying purposes.

But not private companies for intellectual property.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

@third_eye @spartan max2  They  certainly are Jon, every government is using the internet to gather information and to hack the systems of other governments. One of the worst and most malicious malware programs ever built was developed by the NSA, its called Stuxnet. This little cute fellow was a worm that could be preprogrammed to literally access and destroy hardware of any kind. Back around 2010 it was used to destroy Irans Nuclear refineries, it attacked and destroyed 1/5 of Irans Centrifuges, and when .i say destroyed I mean permanently. It is believed that the programs development started in 2005. But the crazy thing about this worm is that it could to used to destroy any infrastructure that is connected to a network or the internet. Even if the systems are protected by encryption they still are not safe. The program was designed to self destruct in 2012, however, some how someone got their hands on it before it did and updated it with new features. Since then it has been used a number of times, while it isn't exactly the same as the original there are still a few clones, running  around destroying hardware.

Here is link where you can read about it.

https://www.wired.com/2014/11/countdown-to-zero-day-stuxnet/

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

@third_eye @spartan max2  They  certainly are Jon, every government is using the internet to gather information and to hack the systems of other governments. One of the worst and most malicious malware programs ever built was developed by the NSA, its called Stuxnet. This little cute fellow was a worm that could be preprogrammed to literally access and destroy hardware of any kind. Back around 2010 it was used to destroy Irans Nuclear refineries, it attacked and destroyed 1/5 of Irans Centrifuges, and when .i say destroyed I mean permanently. It is believed that the programs development started in 2005. But the crazy thing about this worm is that it could to used to destroy any infrastructure that is connected to a network or the internet. Even if the systems are protected by encryption they still are not safe. The program was designed to self destruct in 2012, however, some how someone got their hands on it before it did and updated it with new features. Since then it has been used a number of times, while it isn't exactly the same as the original there are still a few clones, running  around destroying hardware.

Here is link where you can read about it.

https://www.wired.com/2014/11/countdown-to-zero-day-stuxnet/

There is no argument that the US spies, sabotages for military purposes and on military targets.

What I was saying, is that unlike China, the US and most other nations governments are not hacking private businesses to steal their intellectual property for economics.

Atleast that I have seen. All the accusations towards US and hacking have been around spying and military applications.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

There is no argument that the US spies, sabotages for military purposes and on military targets.

What I was saying, is that unlike China, the US and most other nations governments are not hacking private businesses to steal their intellectual property for economics.

Atleast that I have seen. All the accusations towards US and hacking have been around spying and military applications.

I think that if you will steal secrets from a government, you will also steal from anyone who has something you want or need. A spy is a spy So while we don't hear about it certainly doesn't mean they are not involved in it.

JIMO 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I think that if you will steal secrets from a government, you will also steal from anyone who has something you want or need. A spy is a spy So while we don't hear about it certainly doesn't mean they are not involved in it.

JIMO 

No. China steals IPs so that they can make a domestic company to replace the foreign companies.

This is what intellectual theft is about. Economics. 

Most western nations are not doing that. Our spying is about military applications. 

1 in 5 companies say China stole their IP within the last year.

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/28/1-in-5-companies-say-china-stole-their-ip-within-the-last-year-cnbc.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16191038677273&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnbc.com%2F2019%2F02%2F28%2F1-in-5-companies-say-china-stole-their-ip-within-the-last-year-cnbc.html

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

No. China steals IPs so that they can make a domestic company to replace the foreign companies.

Most western nations are not doing that. Our spying is about military applications. 

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/28/1-in-5-companies-say-china-stole-their-ip-within-the-last-year-cnbc.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16191038677273&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnbc.com%2F2019%2F02%2F28%2F1-in-5-companies-say-china-stole-their-ip-within-the-last-year-cnbc.html

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Well I will say this, I am not disregarding your what you say. But, I certainly don't have the trust you do in the Intelligence branches of our government. 

• Like 2

• The topic was locked

Thread cleaned. Folks, leave off with the personal commentary. Discuss the topic, not each other.

• Like 2

• The topic was unlocked
6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Sorry, but this is not about "patriotism"

This is about facts and how it is twisted to suit the US propaganda machine trying to keep itself 'great' again... 

~

Like I said we don't agree on all subjects, but whether it is patriotism or not you would still defend your beliefs in China to anyone from any country and I have seen you do it. For myself, I try to stay neutral in these conversations because it serves no purpose to do otherwise. It's my Spiritual beliefs in Buddhism that guides me in this direction, for me it makes no sense to become angery and to argue about something I can never change. Words can be used as weapons once they have been released If harm was intended it has been done and it can never be taken back.

8 minutes ago, rashore said:

Thread cleaned. Folks, leave off with the personal commentary. Discuss the topic, not each other.

Is it okay that one person gets out of hand any time a thread critical of China is posted.  I seriously think it's done in an attempt to get the threads locked. :yes:

Edited by OverSword

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Is it okay that one person gets out of hand any time a thread critical of China is posted.  I seriously think it's done in an attempt to get the threads locked. :yes:

Well, as usual, if folks are posting in rule-breaking behaviors, please report the thread for mods to check out.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

Well, as usual, if folks are posting in rule-breaking behaviors, please report the thread for mods to check out.

I know that most of us are guilty of that here and there (usually for comic effect) so I apologize for my part in that. 

• Like 1

Just curious, is all of the activity sponsored by governments?   Certainly the average citizen is bombarded by scams and  efforts to get usable information or install ransomware of gain entry into accounts.  There is a lot of money to be made doing these activities.  Probably more and with less risk than the drug trade.

Are there freelancers that are just as talented as government employees?  Is there a market for information that can be exploited with the freelancer hoping to survive after payout? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Like I said we don't agree on all subjects, but whether it is patriotism or not you would still defend your beliefs in China to anyone from any country and I have seen you do it.

This is not about beliefs. You don't see the facts and the blatant disregard for the facts because you are oiling the propaganda machine too. 

~

For myself, I try to stay neutral in these conversations because it serves no purpose to do otherwise.

Trying means you are no longer actually neutral... 

~

It's my Spiritual beliefs in Buddhism that guides me in this direction, for me it makes no sense to become angery and to argue about something I can never change.

Leave Buddha out of this. 

~

Words can be used as weapons once they have been released If harm was intended it has been done and it can never be taken back.

The entire premise of this thread is using words to pave the road to target a specific racial profile as a demonized bogeyman for political leverage. Just because it's the American way doesn't makes it an okay way. 

~

• Like 1