Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Child' appears on dark highway

Eldorado

Eerie dashcam footage of what is believed to be a young child standing in the middle of a Sydney highway at night has been shared to social media.

Mitch Kuhne was driving back to the Gold Coast along the Hume Highway near Bardia just before 8pm on Sunday when he claims to have spotted a small child standing on the road.

NZ Herald report

NSW Police have since told the Daily Mail that no child was found, despite officers searching the area until 3.45am on Monday.

60secs:

What was that?

Edited by Eldorado
  • Confused 2

Looked pretty two dimensional.  Hopefully it was a cut-out someone put up as a terrible and dangerous prank.

• Like 1

Watched it in slow motion. An argument can be made that it also popped into existence rather than coming from the left as a person would. It's coloration of one-color greyness (head and clothes the same color) is not normal for a person. 

Papameter Reading

Paranormal  40%     Normal  60%

Edited by papageorge1

Years ago I was driving, going round a corner there was a man in the road at 11.30pm ish.   It was only lucky I used the otherside of the road or I would of hit him.   Would of been my fault I should of been on the pavement driving my car clearly.   So when you think you see a child on the road, the heart has left the body.

It looks like a crumpled piece of plastic sheeting, which fortuitously assumed a shape vaguely like that of a child, especially due to its fleeting visibility. Probably blown onto the roadway, then off again. The uniform grey color seems to support this.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bison said:

It looks like a crumpled piece of plastic sheeting, which fortuitously assumed a shape vaguely like that of a child, especially due to its fleeting visibility. Probably blown onto the roadway, then off again. The uniform grey color seems to support this.

As shopping bag perhaps? If so then it might've flew out someone's window while they drove down the road that night.

• Like 2

I stilled a frame, looks like a garden gnome in shiny plastic not a child.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bison said:

The uniform grey color seems to support this.

Ghosts are translucent white, which approximates to grey, given a dark background.

Sooooo, a motorist sees a "child" in the roadway, but doesn't think to pull over, or try to render assistance??

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on this.  But I'm 100% positive that there will be gullible souls who will claim it's "paranormal" :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Sooooo, a motorist sees a "child" in the roadway, but doesn't think to pull over, or try to render assistance??

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on this.  But I'm 100% positive that there will be gullible souls who will claim it's "paranormal" :(

Hi Jodie

:st

jmccr8

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bison said:

I was going to say an old bin bag or similar- pareidolia, methinks. And I agree with Jodie-Lynne, anyone seeing a child on a highway like that would have pulled over.

Edit- I just read the article: Kuhne said he was unable to stop as he was towing a toy hauler and said it would have caused an accident. His mother, who was sitting in the passenger seat, immediately called Triple Zero and reported what they had seen. The call was reportedly placed at 7.41pm (AEST), according to the Daily Mail.

Edited by ted hughes

3 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

^^^^ This...  A driver who just drove past that and didn't slam on the brakes and pull over to investigate.. shouldn't be on the road.  I can't be bothered looking into it deeply, but it also looks rather faked - is it just me or does it looks like it fades evenly into existence over a few frames, rather than from the bottom upwards as it should, from modern headlights...?

Added:

Kuhne said he was unable to stop as he was towing a toy hauler and said it would have caused an accident.

Oh, I didn't know that towing something means you can't brake...:blink:  What a load, it just means you need to just brake firmly, rather than slammingly...  Anyone close enough to be an issue should ALSO be off the road. 

So in essence, Kuhne would rather a pedestrian be killed than stop.  Righto.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

Took a screenshot of it at the closest point, 
Enhanced the sharpness and contrast,
Enhanced the colours of it to make it stand out,

My judgement is that it is clearly not a child, and it doesn't seem to be moving in the video. But there is some sort of aura around the object that can be seen when colour enhanced that is in darkness in the original. Could be transparent material such as see-through sheeting or transparent carrier bag? 

I know it is not a very good enhancement but I just find it fascinating trying to see if I can find extra details in some of these "paranormal/ufo" videos and pictures by playing around with colours and saturation and sharpness levels in a photo editor. 
As Elon Musk once said... he was afraid of the dark until one day he realised the dark was exactly same as day time, but for the absence of protons in the visible wavelength. And that all he was scared off, was missing protons. 

Screenshot 2021-04-23 13.02.04.png

Screenshot 2021-04-23 13.02.04.jpg

• Like 1

It look like some king of trash with a pinch or Pareidolia

The best way to have closed the case, was to open the door fast when passing beside it... pow !

• Like 1

Why was he randomly filming a highway at night?

• Like 1

crumbled up old newspaper in a sharp of a penguin I say 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, GiganticManchild said:

Why was he randomly filming a highway at night?

Dashcams film continuously so there’s nothing suspicious about the fact that he was filming. It doesn’t look like a child to me though, it kind of looks fake but maybe that’s just a trick of the light. I think those that have said that it might be something translucent like a plastic bag might be correct as the cars headlights reflecting of its surface might account for its unnatural colour. It does seem to appear from nowhere but I suspect this could be explained by the frame rate of the dashcam.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

From the linked article:

Kuhne said he was unable to stop as he was towing a toy hauler and said it would have caused an accident. His mother, who was sitting in the passenger seat, immediately called Triple Zero and reported what they had seen. The call was reportedly placed at 7.41pm (AEST), according to the Daily Mail.

2 hours ago, ExoPaul said:

My judgement is that it is clearly not a child, and it doesn't seem to be moving in the video. But there is some sort of aura around the object that can be seen when colour enhanced that is in darkness in the original. Could be transparent material such as see-through sheeting or transparent carrier bag? 

I know it is not a very good enhancement but I just find it fascinating trying to see if I can find extra details in some of these "paranormal/ufo" videos and pictures by playing around with colours and saturation and sharpness levels in a photo editor. 
As Elon Musk once said... he was afraid of the dark until one day he realised the dark was exactly same as day time, but for the absence of protons in the visible wavelength. And that all he was scared off, was missing protons. 

Good effort on producing the blow-up. Who can tell what that is.

One thing I think we need to  consider it that the driver and his mother both immediately identified it as a child and they each would have somewhat different angle, perspective and lighting than the dashcam. Two people certain with naked eyes is a factor I consider in addition to the dashcam replay.

Kuhne said he was unable to stop as he was towing a toy hauler and said it would have caused an accident. His mother, who was sitting in the passenger seat, immediately called Triple Zero and reported what they had seen. The call was reportedly placed at 7.41pm (AEST), according to the Daily Mail.

Edited by papageorge1

1- the car does not jerk or swerve even slightly....

2- as others have said- you stop if you see a child on motorway- no excuses...full stop!

3- the police saying they found child and then claiming they didn't makes no sense. On many levels.

4- he claims to have seen the report in the Daily mail saying no child was found....how does this come about? ie how does the Daily Mail know to make an enquiry/story to begin with? The driver wouldnt have reported it as as far as they are concerned the child was found. The police wouldnt call the paper to report child on motorway, that was never found.....so what are the logical steps that followed from sighting to Daily mail story?

edit to add: I cant be bothered but if anyone can find this 'daily mail story' that would be interesting

Edited by quillius
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, ExoPaul said:

Skeleton ghost trolling people on the freeway.:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, quillius said:

1- the car does not jerk or swerve even slightly....

2- as others have said- you stop if you see a child on motorway- no excuses...full stop

I suppose there are exceptions but the fact the driver has zero reaction tells me it wasnt unusual to them it wasnt a ghost or real brat either would cause dome driver reaction.