Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could warp drive actually become a reality ?

UM-Bot

Not gonna lie, it would be cool. Even if we go out there and just find some planet where there's nothing living but algae and micro-organisms, that would already be freaking spectacular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they develop warp drive on a 'galactic' level, is it theoretically possible to have smaller versions of the technology to use at home? The 10 minute drive to the liquor store is such a drag.

• Haha 3

What if you bumped into, say, a pencil eraser at that speed?
Or, does the warp sweep the lane you are in?

• Like 1

this is so funny, things we're now discovering about space travel ufos have been doing for thousands of years.lol...well better late than never

18 minutes ago, ufoguy said:

this is so funny, things we're now discovering about space travel ufos have been doing for thousands of years.lol...well better late than never

I doubt you've discovered the way out of your parents basement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Rlyeh said:

I doubt you've discovered the way out of your parents basement.

:tsu:... good one ..dont forget your milk and cookies on the table...u've earned it

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ufoguy said:

:tsu:... good one ..dont forget your milk and cookies on the table...u've earned it

Yah, he does not come in to talk about the subject matter. He comes in to talk about other posters, and typically, in a demeaning fashion. 
I wouldn't take it to heart  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First off, let us talk about the theoretical going beyond the speed of light.

If we were to travel at 10 times the speed of light, it would take us 10,000 years to travel across our own galaxy, and we have two trillion galaxies to go after that.
So we have two problems here, the first is obvious; excess speed will NOT solve our space exploration problems.
The second is, how safe would anyone feel traveling at 10C? You hit one piece of space debris over your 25 trillion mile journey (Proxima Centauri. 4.25. l/y's away) 
and you are smashed all over the galaxy. :unsure2: There has to be a better way!

I think that our only hope is to learn interdimensional travel. My opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

The idea of using warp drive to travel across large distances is not as far-fetched as it might seem.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/346372/could-warp-drive-actually-become-a-reality

We still dont know that much about gravity.

There is no gravity force in the Standard Model of particle physics because no gravity particle has ever been detected. Gravity at the quantum level and galactic level cannot be explained by General Relativity. Its a mess.

I propose that where we are going wrong is gravity is not a force, but the net sum of 3 forces. One moderate repulsive, one moderate attractive, and a weak attractive one. All together they cancel each other at when the distance between two objects is zero.

But as that distance gets wider the attractive one dies off ever so slightly slower than the two weak ones. Meaning that at the galactic scale we can notice the net sum of gravity being slighter stronger than General Relativity predicts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

If we were to travel at 10 times the speed of light, it would take us 10,000 years to travel across our own galaxy, and we have two trillion galaxies to go after that.
So we have two problems here, the first is obvious; excess speed will NOT solve our space exploration problems.
The second is, how safe would anyone feel traveling at 10C? You hit one piece of space debris over your 25 trillion mile journey (Proxima Centauri. 4.25. l/y's away) 
and you are smashed all over the galaxy. :unsure2: There has to be a better way!

The inter dimensional travel is one option, there is also the worm hole theory as well. But I like the idea of a warp drive... in my opinion 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

There is no gravity force in the Standard Model of particle physics because no gravity particle has ever been detected. Gravity at the quantum level and galactic level cannot be explained by General Relativity. Its a mess.

I propose that where we are going wrong is gravity is not a force, but the net sum of 3 forces. One moderate repulsive, one moderate attractive, and a weak attractive one. All together they cancel each other at when the distance between two objects is zero.

But as that distance gets wider the attractive one dies off ever so slightly slower than the two weak ones. Meaning that at the galactic scale we can notice the net sum of gravity being slighter stronger than General Relativity predicts.

An interesting idea - like the strong and weak nuclear forces that keep nuclei stable, neither exploding nor collapsing into miniature black holes.  These were hypothesised because they simply had to exist, and have since been verified by clever people playing with expensive machines.  

But - wouldn't your model now require three different (groups of?) force carrying particles?  So instead of just looking for one type of graviton we'd need a whole new approach to search for three hypothetical particles.  And - in so much as I understand physics - that would require even bigger, more expensive machines for clever people to play with.

Also you'd need a mathematical framework to hang your ideas on, or some kind of physical explanation of why one force is an inverse square but the other is an inverse 2.00001 or whatever numbers make your model fit the available data.  It's more-or-less at this point I would give up, and leave it to actually clever people to sort out.

Anyway, back to the OP...  didn't we have something very similar a few weeks ago?  

It was silly then and it's still silly now.  Of course that's just my opinion, based on a degree in Physics and 20 years teaching that sort of stuff, so no one takes me seriously.

Everyone KNOWS that the only way to manage space exploration is to freeze your explorers in some sort of stasis field (or a fridge) and send them off at whatever subluminal speed a solar sail can attain.  Then, when they reach their destination in three point two billion years, just have them flip back in time to five minutes after they left.  (Because by then I reckon we'll have cracked time travel.)  Et voila!  As far as they're concerned only five minutes have passed for them, but think how excited they'll be when they learn how many new Friday the 13th films there are to watch!

Theory can be fun to ponder. The alcubierrie drive is quite old now though. 

Thing is we don't know how to even begin building a warp speed engine. If we discover whatever the hell exotic matter is maybe we could start an idea on how to build one. Until that time it's a pipe dream. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Twin said:

What if you bumped into, say, a pencil eraser at that speed?
Or, does the warp sweep the lane you are in?

That's a very interesting point, but I doubt we will ever find out for certain since according to the laws of Physics to my knowledge it is impossible as it is represented in Star Treck. However, according Einstein it is possible to bend or fold Space Time which would allow almost instantaneous travel from one location to another. But, the energy required to do so is far beyond mankinds grasp presently, however, as our knowledge increases our time the current obstacles that keep it out if reach may become obstacles no longer. Currently according to the Theory of Relativity it has been described are very very extreme forces of gravity that allow it to occur. In addition it has also been proven scientifically to actually occur.  

The basics of gravitational wave theory 

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/7/1/204/pdf

7 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Theory can be fun to ponder. The alcubierrie drive is quite old now though. 

Thing is we don't know how to even begin building a warp speed engine. If we discover whatever the hell exotic matter is maybe we could start an idea on how to build one. Until that time it's a pipe dream. 

It certainly is a pipe dream, however, the same thing could achieved by bending or folding Space Time. At least as it is discussed in Einsteins Theory of General Relativity. I understand we don't have the technology to do so yet, but I believe it is more likely than a Wrap Drive Engine will ever be.

Take Care.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

It certainly is a pipe dream, however, the same thing could achieved by bending or folding Space Time. At least as it is discussed in Einsteins Theory of General Relativity. I understand we don't have the technology to do so yet, but I believe it is more likely than a Wrap Drive Engine will ever be.

So in fact a Wrap Drive instead of a Warp Drive?  (Who'd have thought two letters could make such a difference?  Although I once read about a Bible misprint stating that children are the fruit of your lions...)  Given that black holes of millions of solar masses, rotating hundreds of times per second, are needed to produce a measurable effect on spacetime, I can't see us replicating nature in any useful way, ever.  

But could we circumvent nature, by e.g. spinning magnets at extremely high frequencies to somehow affect gravitational fields, or spacetime itself?   That's the basis of several 'proposals' I've seen, none of which offer any evidence that they achieve anything.  It really does appear that each force affects different things differently, only interacting with one aspect of its nature, e.g. charge, mass, strangeness, etc. 

But we can still imagine a future in which clever people have summarised everything knowable into a set of equations, like Maxwell's Equations only more difficult.  And then someone really clever spots a solution that nature hasn't bothered to try, and hey presto! - we discover that wobbling magnets in a Capsaicin Field at the resonant colour of God produces fleur-de-lys-shaped perturbations in complex timespace (not the same as spacetime) allowing cheese to slip through gaps in the reality of the fundament.  Then all we'd need to do is coat magnetic spaceships in the right sort of cheese, build a big enough Cap Field and off we go!  (Of course if we want to get back again we'd need to take cows with us, and some grass.  And probably a book about making cheese.  But I'm sure Elon Musk has already thought about all of that.)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, ufoguy said:

The inter dimensional travel is one option, there is also the worm hole theory as well. But I like the idea of a warp drive... in my opinion 

Sincerely, I always thought "warp drive" was a meaningless Star Trek term that had no scientific definition behind it. Surprise surprise. :-*

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

It is very hard sums to work out how fast (Relatively) you could travel within a Warp (folded space) Bubble. Theoretically it could be limitless and also Inertia would not exist (you carry the starting inertia with you) so no crushed bodies in the Ship itself. The Einstein-Rosen Bridges often theorised (Wormholes) may also be a logical conceit if Spacetime itself is a 3/4 Dimensional artifact. Often shown as a Ball-On-A-Rubber-Mat creating Gravity Wells this may be incorrect. If indeed massive mass exists WITHIN Spacetime rather than as a surface distortion then essentially all roads point to the central mass. This would mean that such bridges could not exist and going beyond the Event Horizon may simply be a one-way trip to oblivion.

The idea of travelling within a Warp Bubble would also eliminate any concerns around impacting with external bodies because they would be wrapped around the bubble.

Lots of interesting stuff raised around all of these questions and theories... enjoyable, but really makes my head hurt!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keithisco said:

The idea of travelling within a Warp Bubble would also eliminate any concerns around impacting with external bodies because they would be wrapped around the bubble.

Lots of interesting stuff raised around all of these questions and theories... enjoyable, but really makes my head hurt!!

Our heads do hurt, but it's a good hurt, Keithisco. Good up :yes:

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Take Care.

That's a where exotic matter comes into the equation.

It would widen and hold open a wormhole. But we don't know what exotic matter actually is. 

Then there is the problem of direction. If we found a way to open a wormhole then we have to open both sides. So you have to have already traveled to where you want to go to put the other end of the wormhole there, or you would end up at some random spot in the universe stranded. 

It's best application would be a rudimentary time machine. 

If we could construct a wormhole, then if we placed one in a specific location on earth, and then took the other end and put it on a spaceship we could use time dilation to make it a time machine. Five years on a ship traveling at 99 percent the speed of light corresponds to roughly 36 years on Earth. So you could take the other end of the wormhole and use it to travel back to the first one placed on earth 36 years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

it's interesting that nothing travels faster than light...except the incredible imagination of Man.  

Isn't it just the nature of humanity though.  Get on the road, speed limit 70...everyone wants to drive eighty.  Speed limit 80 everyone wants to drive 90.  Speed limit 186,000mps...and everyone wants to travel at Warp speed...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

That's a where exotic matter comes into the equation.

It would widen and hold open a wormhole. But we don't know what exotic matter actually is. 

Then there is the problem of direction. If we found a way to open a wormhole then we have to open both sides. So you have to have already traveled to where you want to go to put the other end of the wormhole there, or you would end up at some random spot in the universe stranded. 

It's best application would be a rudimentary time machine. 

If we could construct a wormhole, then if we placed one in a specific location on earth, and then took the other end and put it on a spaceship we could use time dilation to make it a time machine. Five years on a ship traveling at 99 percent the speed of light corresponds to roughly 36 years on Earth. So you could take the other end of the wormhole and use it to travel back to the first one placed on earth 36 years ago.

I understand what you are talking about, and it does make sense to me. However, I also realize that at our present state of development scientificly we are only talking about theories, except for the fact that space time can be warped / folded. This has been proven and demonstrated as we both know, and most here do not understand the following subjects: 

1) Frame-dragging of space-time around rotating bodies

2) Gravitational redshift:

3) Gravitational waves:

All three of those subjects have the ability to warp space time, I believe in time man will gain the ability to fold space time. To me it is not if it will be achieved, it is when it will be achieved. I understand That I am unable prove that theory at this time. However, whether others are able to visualize it or not doesn't matter to me, nor will change my thoughts on the matter. :)

I noticed when I replied to your post that Jock feels your comments are funny. :unsure: I think he was looking out a window when he posted that laughing emoji, and space time allowed him to see his reflection as it was warped by gravity. So he laughed at the reflection he saw not even realizing it was his own. This caused him to hit the laughing emoji out of instinct without the ability to see that he was fooled by his own lack of understanding.:lol::P:tsu::yes: 

Take Care my friend, and gave a great day.:tu:

2 hours ago, joc said:

it's interesting that nothing travels faster than light...except the incredible imagination of Man.  

Isn't it just the nature of humanity though.  Get on the road, speed limit 70...everyone wants to drive eighty.  Speed limit 80 everyone wants to drive 90.  Speed limit 186,000mps...and everyone wants to travel at Warp speed...

Just because you are not able to visualize or understand something doesn't make trying to understand a fools errand. While that technology is beyond our reach now, doesn't mean it will be in man's future. In 1915, when Albert Einstein published his General Theory of Relativity, and explained that space and time were not separate concepts people were unable to understand his insight or ability to see that Space time were one and same thing. 

Then as celestial time on earth progresses Instead of Einsteins theories being replaced by new theories ( Which Scientist are constantly trying to do) they have found out that Einsteins Special and General theories of relativity so far have been proven to be correct.  While  Warp Drive may be forever beyond our capabilities Einsteins theorem about space time and its ability to be warped or folded can and has been proven and with that it can accomplish the same task as Warp drive, with use of gravity alone.

Which will allow travelers from Earth at some point in our future being able to travel vast distances without ever having achieved Light Speed or the effects of time dilation. So you beliefs will not effect progress, and as we have seen in the 100 years manhas achieve greater things than he was unable too in the last 10,000 years. 10,000 years ago as far as technology is concerned man was crawling, then around 1850s man stood up.

Then around 1915 man took his first steps, and now in 2021 man has started to very slowly jog. The advances made in the last 100 years will be doubled in the next 50 to 75 years. You see while you laugh,  I look forward, and space time is on my side!!:lol:

On 4/27/2021 at 5:33 AM, Cookie Monster said:

It's very funny that in one breath you say that Einsteins theories of Special and General relativity are a mess concerning how gravity is defined as a force. Then in the bolded above you quote Einsteins theory and Propse it's your own personal concept, all I can say is your a funny Cookie Monster, very very funny!:lol: 

My oh my!!:D

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

It's very funny that in one breath you say that Einsteins theories of Special and General relativity are a mess concerning how gravity is defined as a force. Then in the bolded above you quote Einsteins theory and Propse it's your own personal concept, all I can say is your a funny Cookie Monster, very very funny!:lol: 

My oh my!!:D

Einstein said nothing of the thing, what in Gods name are you on about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1