Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bertrand Russel

Desertrat56

Good stuff. Other in mind: Joseph Campbell 

• Like 1

Those are all very good guidelines.

John

• Like 2

Those 'Ten Commandments' are brilliant. Thanks for posting them :tsu:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great guy Bertrand. Very wise 

I doubt the OP would have posted them if it was known that the above are also personal philosophies that lead to his atheism and critical views of paranormal claims 

Bertrand Russell's teapot illustrates those "commandments" quite well in fact.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I doubt the OP would have posted them if it was known that the above are also personal philosophies that lead to his atheism and critical views of paranormal claims

That is irrelevant as the 'commandments' stand alone as good advice for many people in many situations. How they affected Russell is personal to him and in no way alters their validity.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Great guy Bertrand. Very wise 

Bertrand Russell's teapot illustrates those "commandments" quite well in fact.

Hi Psyche

Desertrat is an atheist so I doubt she would have any reservations.

jmccr8

• Thanks 1

@psyche101 It doesn't even matter whether Bertrand Russel was or I am an atheist.  There is no reason for you to compare his list of commandments as what led him to becoming an atheist.   That list is useful whether you need a deity to guide your not and has nothing to do with anyone's belief in any deity.  You seem to protest a bit too much, are you experiencing a loss of faith?  I only ask because there is no other logical reason that you would bring it up in this thread.

• Like 3

Life is a fool's paradise, the more foolish and self-indulgent the happier. Life is like the morning dew that appears for a moment, moist and glistening and then sun fades it away. Don't ever let anyone dissuade you from happiness to follow their Gods of logic and reason. In the brief time we have on earth it is better to be a happy fool than a miserable scholar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

That is irrelevant as the 'commandments' stand alone as good advice for many people in many situations. How they affected Russell is personal to him and in no way alters their validity.

Why Russell proposed them is very valid. 

Do you have any respect for the person that proposed those guidelines? If so, shouldn't his views be considered? 

11 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

Desertrat is an atheist so I doubt she would have any reservations.

jmccr8

She also has some extremely wild beliefs that I would say are very much the opposite of where Russell was going with this. 

12 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

@psyche101 It doesn't even matter whether Bertrand Russel was or I am an atheist.  There is no reason for you to compare his list of commandments as what led him to becoming an atheist.   That list is useful whether you need a deity to guide your not and has nothing to do with anyone's belief in any deity.  You seem to protest a bit too much, are you experiencing a loss of faith?  I only ask because there is no other logical reason that you would bring it up in this thread.

Due to your past snipes at myself and my country, and then leaving the discussion had left me with very little respect for your views.

What I do know of your posting is that you do believe in extremely wild claims like remote viewing, and I just saw you undermining medicine for homeopathy. 

Considering your views and unwillingness to discuss them beyond your personal conclusions also indicate to me that you misuse the  "commandments" to support wild ideas that Russell would not approve of. To me, your application is somewhat insulting knowing your usage and application, and who originally put them together.

Like the people who say how evil technology and science is whilst on the internet with their computer. 

You have had plenty of opportunities to get to know me, but decided to insult me at every opportunity. No I'm not losing faith. Did that like ten or fifteen years ago. One of the best moves I ever made. I treat posters how they treat me, that's all. Check your mirror.

Edited by psyche101