Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

$15 minimum wage for federal contractors

Eldorado

President Biden plans to sign an executive order on Tuesday raising the minimum wage paid by federal contractors to $15 an hour, the latest in a set of ambitious pro-labor moves at the outset of his administration.

The new minimum is expected to take effect next year and is likely to affect hundreds of thousands of workers, according to a White House document. The current minimum is $10.95 under an order that President Barack Obama signed in 2014. Like that order, the new one will require that the new minimum wage rise with inflation.

NY Times

Now people that work for greedy government contractors will have to work harder as they cut staff by 1/3 in order to pay the same wages and keep their same profit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Now people that work for greedy government contractors will have to work harder as they cut staff by 1/3 in order to pay the same wages and keep their same profit.

Somehow I doubt that.  If anything it will be an excuse for contractors to pad their bids even more.  I mean is there such a thing as a government contractor that makes less than $15/hr right now to be affected?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Somehow I doubt that.  If anything it will be an excuse for contractors to pad their bids even more.  I mean is there such a thing as a government contractor that makes less than $15/hr right now to be affected?

For sure there is. I worked in a mil-spec shop in the 90’s and skilled people running complicated machinery made alright money but the guys doing the low level stuff like hauling palettes around and didn’t speak English made squat.

Can you imagine a shop like that in a state where the minimum wage is $8 suddenly raising up everyone making less than $15 up to it? That could easily be a third of the employees at a shop with sixty people working at it.  It would be lay-off city and the people laid off would be the least qualified, least educated, least shall we say privileged.

Edited by OverSword

• 1 month later...