Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facebook allows advertisers to target children

Eldorado

Facebook is allowing businesses to advertise to children as young as 13 who express an interest in smoking, extreme weight loss and gambling for as little as $3, research by the lobby group Reset Australia has found.

The organisation, which is critical of digital platforms, set up a Facebook page and advertising account under the name “Ozzie news network” to see what ad options Facebook would provide through its Ads Manager platform.

While Facebook will not allow the advertising of alcohol and other age-inappropriate content to people under 18, it does not prevent advertisers from targeting children determined by Facebook’s profile to have an interest in alcohol, for advertising that might not appear explicitly to be about those topics.

MSN

• Sad 4

I am being serious here, El.....

If I could turn the World Wide Web off permanently, I would.  This brave new world of the internet has turned out to be a disaster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, acute said:

I am being serious here, El.....

If I could turn the World Wide Web off permanently, I would.  This brave new world of the internet has turned out to be a disaster.

On THIS ONE we agree, totally.  It is causing the dissolution of our culture and our civility.  It's the equivalent, IMO, of setting the worst of opposites in a position to be at each other's throats and the yelling and screaming gains no one anything except deepened resentments.  I'm as guilty as anyone and I admit it.  It's embarrassing to see human nature in all its raw energy, choosing hate as a default over civility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

@and then

You put it nicely, but another component is the prevalence of fake news and historical inaccuracies, right down to the finest detail.

Satirist Alan Coren used to go onto Wikipedia to correct his date of birth, but fans of his who had seen the previous DOB would change it back!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Coren

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, acute said:

You put it nicely, but another component is the prevalence of fake news and historical inaccuracies, right down to the finest detail.

Oswald shot Kennedy.  ;) 

See, nothings really changed.

Tik Toc challenges, Twitter, Information selling. And then there's government. The modern day vampire chronicles. One's sucking our money and one's sucking our sanity.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, and then said:

On THIS ONE we agree, totally.  It is causing the dissolution of our culture and our civility.  It's the equivalent, IMO, of setting the worst of opposites in a position to be at each other's throats and the yelling and screaming gains no one anything except deepened resentments.  I'm as guilty as anyone and I admit it.  It's embarrassing to see human nature in all its raw energy, choosing hate as a default over civility.

Only if you let it. You have free will. Teach your kids what to look out for. It's just a tool like any other, just more complicated. Just like a pocket knife, or a firearm. Both can kill. Do you hand it to your child without important safety instructions? What can happen if you misuse it? Same thing. They learn faster than you do,and the internet is here to stay.  Make sure they are learning the right way. Besides, the net is advancing mankind at an incredible pace. Besides what you've stated, the net has also been great for accountability. If you're a self serving jerk, the whole world knows it, if your a saint, same thing. You get the feedback that you created.  Nothing is lost on the net, and it never forgets. Every scrap of human knowledge at your fingertips. Knowledge is always good, it's what you do with it that defines you. This will resonate with many, but with angry people, not so much.

Love, and light to you, and then.

Edited by Hankenhunter

6 hours ago, acute said:

@and then

Satirist Alan Coren used to go onto Wikipedia to correct his date of birth, but fans of his who had seen the previous DOB would change it back!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Coren

Don't forget the historical accuracies that are also there. Books could be seen in the same light as the bolded. Or having a doctor tell you, you only have six months to live. Do you take it's/his word, or do you verify through other sources?

As for Alan's problems, that's something that needs correcting by Wiki, not total abandonment for a trifling thing like a birth date. Wiki just needs refining of it's programming so this doesn't happen anymore. 

Edited by Hankenhunter
Spelling

Facebook has a lot to answer for i'm proud to say i don't use it or twitter or any of the other platforms