Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia imposes fines up to $66K if citizens fly home from India during COVID-19 spike

Grim Reaper 6

Australia Health Minister Greg Hunt said in a statement on Saturday that the government is issuing a temporary pause on travelers from India if the person has been in India for 14 days. According to Australian Broadcasting Corporation, those that violate the ban could face up to a $66,000 fine (over $50,000 U.S.), five years in prison or both. 

"The Government does not make these decisions lightly," Hunt said in a statement. "However, it is critical the integrity of the Australian public health and quarantine systems is protected and the number of COVID-19 cases in quarantine facilities is reduced to a manageable level."

Australia imposes fines up to $66K if citizens fly home from India during COVID-19 spike (msn.com)

• Like 3

I can understand it, but hasn't that cat been let out of the bag, already? Have Covid  plane trips been invented yet? Bet inoculated volunteers would do it to bring their people home. Australians are pretty noble that way. Bonus 14 day paid vacation when they return home. With beer. Plane would need a good scrubbing though.

I'd do it if I could. It'd be fun. All those happy people. :)

Think of the P.R

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hankenhunter said:

I can understand it, but hasn't that cat been let out of the bag, already? Have Covid  plane trips been invented yet? Bet inoculated volunteers would do it to bring their people home. Australians are pretty noble that way. Bonus 14 day paid vacation when they return home. With beer. Plane would need a good scrubbing though.

I'd do it if I could. It'd be fun. All those happy people. :)

Think of the P.R

Man all I can think of is the dam fine for going there along with the possible prison sentence. I mean that is very harsh, but those who chose not to follow their Governments Instructions can only blames themselves!

• Like 2

We have quite a large contingent of cricketers in India ATM .... anyone wish to speculate on whether or not the government will give them special dispensation to return? 

(It will, because sportspeople are special). 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Man all I can think of is the dam fine for going there along with the possible prison sentence.

IMO, considering the actual mortality rate over the past year or so, this kind of governmental heavy handedness is an OUTRAGE.  The effective mortality rate, case fatality rate and other measurements  have been essentially static since the beginning of this pandemic.  This corona virus has behaved very much like all other viruses.  Yes, it is a novel virus but the data simply does not justify the degree of reaction by western governments.  One example of the overreaction is found in the media treatment of the mutated versions. They are different but no more deadly, as is usually the case with an evolving viral agent.  We hear the reporting with bated breath of the "contagiousness" being greater.  That's kind of how viruses have always rolled, ya know?  They perpetually adapt.

It is a nasty bit of nature's work but when it kills fewer than 3 million people globally and the government's reactions have caused millions to slip into starvation then it seems clear that something isn't rational about the response. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

We have quite a large contingent of cricketers in India ATM .... anyone wish to speculate on whether or not the government will give them special dispensation to return? 

(It will, because sportspeople are special). 

I can't accept not letting a citizen into their own country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, and then said:

IMO, considering the actual mortality rate over the past year or so, this kind of governmental heavy handedness is an OUTRAGE.  The effective mortality rate, case fatality rate and other measurements  have been essentially static since the beginning of this pandemic.  This corona virus has behaved very much like all other viruses.  Yes, it is a novel virus but the data simply does not justify the degree of reaction by western governments.  One example of the overreaction is found in the media treatment of the mutated versions. They are different but no more deadly, as is usually the case with an evolving viral agent.  We hear the reporting with bated breath of the "contagiousness" being greater.  That's kind of how viruses have always rolled, ya know?  They perpetually adapt.

It is a nasty bit of nature's work but when it kills fewer than 3 million people globally and the government's reactions have caused millions to slip into starvation then it seems clear that something isn't rational about the response. 

I dont disagree with you at all, but in the case of these Australians who violated the Governments pre-established policies' of not going to India I dont feel sorry them at all. While it seems that all the mutations to date, have apparently only increased the infectious nature of the Virus. That could change over night, and when a country has allowed the Virus to become the scourge it presently is in India, it also breads new Mutations. While all Viruses mutate as a response to insure their survival, the longer they are allowed spread unchecked the more frequent the mutations will occur.

The main issue with the mutations is the fact that this virus could very easily mutate to the point where current vaccines are no longer effective. This is the real fear that Governments around the world are not openly talking about, and are extremely afraid to address in a transparent manner. They dont want to cause a panic in their countries or give their citizens another excuse not to get vaccinated. This is why I strongly oppose the Anti-Vaccination communities reason for not getting vaccinated. I dont think they want to hurt anyone by not getting vaccinated, but I also dont think they understand why getting vaccinated is so important.

This Virus is not like the Flu or other Viral infections that occur at different times of the year, it is in reality much more dangerous that those Viruses. Not because its more deadly, but because it mutates at a much faster rate than other viruses which like I said can mutate beyond the effectiveness of the current  vaccines, and if that happens the human race is up the river without a paddle. So with that said, I understand why Governments are reacting so strongly to this Pandemic and I cant say I disagree with them under the current circumstances at all. But, I do understand your point, and I can respect your opinion!:tu:

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

I can accept people being told “don’t go overseas” and them saying “**** you, I need to play a game” and then being told “don’t ****ing come back”. 
Especially now we are 16 months into a pandemic where the borders are closed, the government has gone out of it’s way to tell people to get home (especially out of countries like India).... 

Yeah, it’s bad that folks can’t come home. And it’s stupid we’re not using places like Christmas Island to isolate groups of returnees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I can accept people being told “don’t go overseas” and them saying “**** you, I need to play a game” and then being told “don’t ****ing come back”. 
Especially now we are 16 months into a pandemic where the borders are closed, the government has gone out of it’s way to tell people to get home (especially out of countries like India).... 

Yeah, it’s bad that folks can’t come home. And it’s stupid we’re not using places like Christmas Island to isolate groups of returnees.

Are most people getting vaccinated? Now, where I live, anyone over 16 can get it without an appointment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Edited by Manwon Lender

10 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I understand your point and I agree with you completely, the individuals involved knew what they were doing when they either the left the country and traveled to a location that was banned by your Government, or when they did not return in a timely manner. But like you said it's their own fault, and they now have to deal with the choices they have made.

Good post

19 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Are most people getting vaccinated? Now, where I live, anyone over 16 can get it without an appointment.

Jesus no, our elected dip****s screwed the pooch on that. Scotty from Marketing promised enough doses for the nation to be vaccinated by October. 
In fact, he promised nearly a seventh of the population will be vaccinated in the first month. 
And then reality turned up and we managed to not fully vaccinate a bunch of people in nursing homes, fail to vaccinate all our nurses working in COVID wards and then say we probably won’t have the nation of 20odd million people vaccinated by 2022. 

we’re still struggling to vaccinate anyone over 50. 
we’re supposed to be producing 100k+ vaccines a week. The actual number has quite a few less zeroes in it. 
So far we’ve tried laying blame on the shoulders of the European manufacturers not supplying enough vaccines, European nations stopping vaccines being shipped to Australia despite us paying for them, the Australian states “stockpiling them to make the Federal government look bad”, PNG having an outbreak, the States again and Scotty’s favourite “HEY LOOK OVER THERE!” 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Michelle said:

same here, walk ins are welcome.  anyone over 16. even when it was not that easily available, you could still go to a pharmacy that provides vaccinations, around 5pm, and ask if they have any leftovers,  people make apps,  vaccine gets prepared\ taken from freezer, then some people do not show up,  the vaccine can not be refrigerated again,  so they either throw it away, or vaccinate someone else instead, 

just need to have some social engineering skills so people that work there  will be willing to do you such favor. 

• Like 1

@Sir Wearer of Hats I agree.

I have complete compassion for citizens stuck overseas involuntarily and think that their return should be prioritised.

But anyone who chose to travel overseas (including cricketers to play in the IPL in India) made that choice knowing full well that the situation could change at any moment and that a return to Australia could be delayed. 

They chose to travel to a country where COVID could explode, and they should willingly accept the consequences and that they can’t just fly home. 

This is also the overwhelming consensus from anyone I have spoken to about it. We all did our bit and sacrificed a lot to be able to be in the position that we are now, so we shouldn’t jeopardise that for anyone who voluntarily chose to travel overseas and now regrets the decision.

My dad was lucky enough to get an exemption to travel to Europe after our first lockdowns, to help family, knowing that he may get stuck over there. And guess what? He did. 
He planned to return to Australia in November last year, but is now hoping for a potential return in September this year.

The difference being that he knowingly made the decision and accepted that his return would be at the mercy of a number of different factors. 

Cricketer Michael Slater saying that Prime Minister Scott Morrison has blood on his hands for not allowing Aussies home from India may be true in regards to citizens involuntarily stuck there, but the cricketers who chose to travel there knowing the risks are responsible for their own blood IMHO.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Timothy said:

@Sir Wearer of Hats I agree.

I have complete compassion for citizens stuck overseas involuntarily and think that their return should be prioritised.

But anyone who chose to travel overseas (including cricketers to play in the IPL in India) made that choice knowing full well that the situation could change at any moment and that a return to Australia could be delayed. 

They chose to travel to a country where COVID could explode, and they should willingly accept the consequences and that they can’t just fly home. 

This is also the overwhelming consensus from anyone I have spoken to about it. We all did our bit and sacrificed a lot to be able to be in the position that we are now, so we shouldn’t jeopardise that for anyone who voluntarily chose to travel overseas and now regrets the decision.

My dad was lucky enough to get an exemption to travel to Europe after our first lockdowns, to help family, knowing that he may get stuck over there. And guess what? He did. 
He planned to return to Australia in November last year, but is now hoping for a potential return in September this year.

The difference being that he knowingly made the decision and accepted that his return would be at the mercy of a number of different factors. 

Cricketer Michael Slater saying that Prime Minister Scott Morrison has blood on his hands for not allowing Aussies home from India may be true in regards to citizens involuntarily stuck there, but the cricketers who chose to travel there knowing the risks are responsible for their own blood IMHO.

Anyone who can't see your point of view has their eyes closed. As far as those people who chose to not follow instructions and dud their own thing they are self centered and inreality don't care how their decision could have serious effects upon others. So the blood they are talking about is on their own hands, and the repercussions are on their heads. You reap what you sow, and everyone is responsible for the actions they take, and no one else should have to suffer because of another's foolish behavior.

JIMO

• Like 2

Is Australia still making travelers quarantine for 2 weeks?

15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Um, there not letting anyone in the country to my knowledge. I mean even their own people are facing jail time or a Hugh fine if they return, so I don't think Foriegners would be welcome at all.

JIMO

15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yes, unless they are traveling from a ‘green zone’ or in an exemption category.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-international-travellers#quarantine-for-incoming-travellers

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Yes. Some people *ahem*celebrities are allowed to quarantine “at home” while everyone else is stuck in COVID breeding factories also known as quarantine hotels. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Um, there not letting anyone in the country to my knowledge. I mean even their own people are facing jail time or a Hugh fine if they return, so I don't think Foriegners would be welcome at all.

JIMO

Only fines for travel from India. We are still doing dribbles of repatriation flights for everyone else and have a tourism bubble with New Zealand. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Only fines for travel from India. We are still doing dribbles of repatriation flights for everyone else and have a tourism bubble with New Zealand. 

Thanks for clearing that up.

32 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The fines apply to everyone.  They were enacted in the Biosecurity Act more than 12 months ago.  But, noone has suffered these sanctions.  This is the first time they have prohibited citizens coming into the country.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1

As of the 15th, we’ll have six flights to Australia from India, one heading to Brisbane, one to Sydney and one to Melbourne and three to a specially repurposed facility. 
All people on the flights will be straight to hotel COVID incubators.

I predict that on roughly the 17th we will have heard of “at least one” Cricketer not being in hotel quarantine and instead “promising to quarantine at home” because we are a nation of double ****ing standards. 

• Like 1