Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New £200m royal yacht named after Prince Philip to be 'commissioned within weeks'

Still Waters

A new royal yacht is to be commissioned by the government and named after Prince Philip, according to reports.

It would be a successor to HMY Britannia, which was decommissioned in 1997.

The Duke of Edinburgh was Lord High Admiral from 2011 until his death earlier this year, and served in the Royal Navy during the Second World War.

https://news.sky.com/story/new-royal-yacht-named-after-prince-philip-to-be-commissioned-within-weeks-costing-as-much-as-200m-12292880

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• The title was changed to New £200m royal yacht named after Prince Philip to be 'commissioned within weeks'

So, so many topics being started that just leave me jawdropped. I have no words. :hmm:

• Like 2

I bet people in the uk who are struggling with poverty are happy with this announcement!

• Like 6

Absolutely Brilliant News, The Royal Yacht Britannia more than paid for itself over the years. it would go around the world conducting, trade missions, host business dinners and entertain foreign dignitaries. It gives a safe and secure envrionment for those events. - it costs millions when foreign dignitaries visit in policing, security etc... tens of millions if its an occasion such as G7. G20, with many world leaders meeting. and the added bonus if gives her Maj' a chance to go on holiday away from the press. and gives Her maj' a residence when visiting her realms.including the commonwealth.

HMY Britannia. spent 40 years in service. She conducted 968 official visits and clocked up more than a million miles at sea. In the years 1991 and 1995 alone she is estimated to have brought £3 billion of commercial trade deals to our country. In 1993, on one trip to India alone, £1.3 billion of trade deals were signed. those deals would have been signed in any event, but the presence of Britannia sped up the negotiations from years to days. To put that into the context of the renewal and running of a royal yacht, the deal signed on that one trip would have paid for a royal yacht in its entirety and its annual running costs for 100 years.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2016-10-11/debates/A35B4CBD-3DFE-4BB7-B9C4-BB9E99422890/RoyalYachtBritanniaInternationalTrade

The same follows with the proposed HMY Prince Philip. £200m. bargain will more than pay for itself, just like HMY Britannia.

imagine getting an invite, Her Majesty would like to invite you aboard Her Majesty's Royal Yacht. for nibbles and a chat. concluding talks and business on sea days.

Edited by stevewinn
Source link removed and replaced by correct one. even though link not required
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

What.  Ever.

• Haha 2

Its been talked about for a few years. It would be nice to see it used as a technology demonstrator to increase the projects value to the UK. 

Maybe fit these new RR hybrid power units. 

https://www.ship-technology.com/news/rolls-royce-launch-new-hybrid-ship-propulsion-systems-

and use the hull of a frigate, Type 31? 

The Type 31 is the same tonnage and similar size to Britannia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_31_frigate 

Boris could use it as Boat Force 1 :tu:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Edited 3 hours ago by stevewinn
Source link removed and replaced by correct one. even though link not required

Source links are always required when copying text from off-site sources.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

I bet people in the uk who are struggling with poverty are happy with this announcement!

I agree with you, it doesn't seem right. But, the British love their Monachy so meh as Americans we just can't understand the allure of it.:yes:

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree with you, it doesn't seem right. But, the British love their Monachy so meh as Americans we just can't understand the allure of it.:yes:

I wish folks outside of Britain would get this myth out of their head. There are just as many people who would like to see the back of the monarchy as there are those who vaguely think they are okay(and probably wouldn't miss them if they were gone). The people who would say they want the monarchy to stay(and are worth the drain on public finances), are mainly older folks who see them as demi-gods who have the power to strike them down if they speak out against them. It is astonishing, that in the 21st century, people can still be supportive of their lifestyle . . . . as if they were something special. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

I wish folks outside of Britain would get this myth out of their head. There are just as many people who would like to see the back of the monarchy as there are those who vaguely think they are okay(and probably wouldn't miss them if they were gone). The people who would say they want the monarchy to stay(and are worth the drain on public finances), are mainly older folks who see them as demi-gods who have the power to strike them down if they speak out against them. It is astonishing, that in the 21st century, people can still be supportive of their lifestyle . . . . as if they were something special. 

Well I have no experience with any of that, personally. However, there are members on this forum tha throw a little fit if anyone talks bad about the Queen. Also, on a history forum I am a member of, there area lot of British who are members, and .I have seen the same thing occur there. So, that's where my comments came from, but I understand you point and either way it's fine by me. 

Take care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well I have no experience with any of that, personally. However, there are members on this forum tha throw a little fit if anyone talks bad about the Queen. Also, on a history forum I am a member of, there area lot of British who are members, and .I have seen the same thing occur there. So, that's where my comments came from, but I understand you point and either way it's fine by me. 

Take care.

Some are against them but they are a symbol of Britishness.

Its like saying lets pull down the Statue of Liberty or the Washington Monument. Some would say why would the US spending so much money building it and keeping them maintained? Of course they generate more than they cost in tourism. But they are also symbols and part of American culture.

The Queen is also our Head of State and provides our cheques and measures. People being negative to the Monarch claim she doesnt do anything and has no power. In fact she does, and has used it several times throughout her reign. She has sacked Prime Minsters and Cabinet Ministers before around the Commonwealth, and has even appointed one here in the UK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

The people who would say they want the monarchy to stay(and are worth the drain on public finances), are mainly older folks who see them as demi-gods who have the power to strike them down if they speak out against them. It is astonishing, that in the 21st century, people can still be supportive of their lifestyle . . . . as if they were something special. 

I don't think that is the case.

The monarchy are an institution and provide a cornerstone to British culture in the same way as fish & chips or religion.

They are part of the UK's makeup.

You can take any of the above or leave it as you like (OK, not the fish and chips) 

When there is no monarchy people find alternatives like pop stars or film stars and follow them on the interwebs by their millions.

Star's become so full of themselves they start playing politics. 

Of the two options I prefer the Royals.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Some British are still feudal at heart. They see it as their duty to bow and bend the knee to the offspring of one family

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I don't think that is the case.

The monarchy are an institution and provide a cornerstone to British culture in the same way as fish & chips or religion.

They are part of the UK's makeup.

You can take any of the above or leave it as you like (OK, not the fish and chips) 

When there is no monarchy people find alternatives like pop stars or film stars and follow them on the interwebs by their millions.

Star's become so full of themselves they start playing politics. 

Of the two options I prefer the Royals.   

in bold above: in life, there are usually a lot more options than you at first imagine there to be. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

in bold above: in life, there are usually a lot more options than you at first imagine there to be. :)

But are they better than fish and chips. :lol:

• Haha 1

i have no issues with 200m  hms, but i would, if i was a brit, with gvmnt spending much more to bring people into uk who destroy your culture,  but i'm not a brit so i have no issues with it either

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, ouija ouija said:

We've abolished the Monarchy, here, your £1.26p. spend it wisely.

Now a £1.5 Billion black hole exists in the treasury. Tourism effected, tax from Crown estates gone.

Are we replacing the Monarchy with a Presidential position? or are we just leaving it? better just leaving it don't want more cost.

state visitors now just meet the Prime Minister. All the pomp and ceremony gone, complete waste of time pretending.

Who's representing the country both home and abroad? Not these here today gone tomorrow politicians? Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Theresa May, Boris Johnson? 14 Prime Ministers have come and gone under The reign of the Queen. (174 across the realm)

The British Monarchy embodies British history and identity. linking past - present - future. As Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize,  Grenada, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, the Solomon Islands, and Tuvalu have as much claim to their Queen as we do.

Building our country was a slow and laborious task of hundreds of years by countless generations spilling blood - to destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day. - This mood is encouraged by a dark underbelly, the race of degenerate of whom our island has produced during a strange generation, - who go to bed and when they wake up every morning have looked around upon the British inheritance, whatever it was, to see what they could find to demolish, to undermine, or cast away. We must consider the motives very carefully of each and every person who speaks ill of our Queen. because it doesn't end there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 1:17 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Money is simply printed via the central bank and handed out - the problem is nobody knows this - they assume every penny is on tax - it isn't.

As for the yacht - good.

Edited by ethereal_scout
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, Manwon Lender said:

It cost a lot less than the $3.9 billion fixed-price agreement for the conversion of two 747 to VC-25B specification, to use them as air force one...

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 12:55 AM, aztek said:

i have no issues with 200m  hms, but i would, if i was a brit, with gvmnt spending much more to bring people into uk who destroy your culture,  but i'm not a brit so i have no issues with it either

Monarchy is a part of many other peoples fascination with Britain.

How many tourists come to London every year to visit Buckingham Palace, the changing of the guard, the monarchy are a UK cash cow. There also seems to be a global woke drive at the moment to dismantle every symbol, every cultural value, every last bit of national identity. Thankfully we in Britain are resistant to it.

I think we might just be the most resistant people to it on Earth. Hence Brexit. People can bad mouth us all they like they cannot erode away the greatness from our history, and we are proud of it. Except a few woke ones here and there. Have you seen how their party has done in our elections over the last couple of days? They got a right hammering. Their leader will resign next week.

We should build the yacht, it will bring in a lot of money to make it profitable (as these things always do), and it will be another symbol to our vast collection.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Monarchy is a part of many other peoples fascination with Britain.

How many tourists come to London every year to visit Buckingham Palace, the changing of the guard, the monarchy are a UK cash cow. There also seems to be a global woke drive at the moment to dismantle every symbol, every cultural value, every last bit of national identity. Thankfully we in Britain are resistant to it.

I think we might just be the most resistant people to it on Earth. Hence Brexit. People can bad mouth us all they like they cannot erode away the greatness from our history, and we are proud of it. Except a few woke ones here and there. Have you seen how their party has done in our elections over the last couple of days? They got a right hammering. Their leader will resign next week.

We should build the yacht, it will bring in a lot of money to make it profitable (as these things always do), and it will be another symbol to our vast collection.

lol, sure, wait another 20 years and uk will be an Islamic country, 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

It cost a lot less than the $3.9 billion fixed-price agreement for the conversion of two 747 to VC-25B specification, to use them as air force one...

You certainly have a very good point, man it really sucks when you think about how much it costs us to pay for their luxuries.:yes:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, aztek said:

lol, sure, wait another 20 years and uk will be an Islamic country, 

Really? 

This is awesome.

I think people just see £200M yacht and think that it is just handed over to the Royal family. 

For a start, it injects cash in to the economy as someone has to build this yacht. The royal family don't actually build it themselves! That cash spills out.

Then the Queen gets paid from Crown Estate. So money she generates from use of the yacht  and all her other pursuits is put into the Crown Estate. She then gets 25% - pleaee check this someone as it is from  memory -  so effectively she is 'taxed' at 75% which goes to the government.

Then, she is taxed again on the 25% she takes  so it comes to something like 80% tax.

The Queen is effectively the highest taxed person in the UK. She sees approx 20% of the money she generates. That leaves about £400M, from memory, a year in the government funds. 

The Crown Estate has grown year on year since formation around 2011. Please check this.

Anyone else who hands over 80% of their revenues generated then please tell me. 

• 1 month later...

New national flagship replacing the Royal Yacht Britannia 'to be funded through the Ministry of Defence', says Number 10

The PM's official spokesperson declined to comment on where the MoD would find the reported £200m required for the project out of its budget, but did confirm the new vessel will not be a warship.

The new national flagship is expected to be in service for around 30 years.

The yacht's name is yet to be announced, but reports have suggested it will pay homage to the Duke of Edinburgh who was Lord High Admiral from 2011 until his death earlier this year, and served in the Royal Navy during the Second World War.

https://news.sky.com/story/new-national-flagship-replacing-the-royal-yacht-britannia-to-be-funded-through-the-ministry-of-defence-says-no-10-12337906