Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Egos clash in Bezos and Musk space race

Still Waters

Even the Milky Way seems too small to keep the egos of tech billionaires Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk from colliding as they vie to conquer space.

Musk aimed low with a recent tweet saying "can't get it up (to orbit)" in response to a post about Bezos-founded space company Blue Origin protesting NASA's choice of Musk's SpaceX team to build a module that will land the next US astronauts on the moon.

"This is more than just a battle for space," said Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives. "There is some ego at play as well; this has become even more personal."

The tech entrepreneurs have each channeled some of their vast fortunes into private space exploration companies since early this century.

https://phys.org/news/2021-05-egos-clash-bezos-musk-space.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

glorybebe

If it was not about making $$, but really about the benefit of humans and lessening the strain on our planet, could you imagine what these two could do working in tandem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

L.A.T.1961

Whatever is being said by Bezos and Musk the issue is Blue Origin is not getting the job done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Manwon Lender
3 hours ago, glorybebe said:

If it was not about making $$, but really about the benefit of humans and lessening the strain on our planet, could you imagine what these two could do working in tandem?

You make a very point, unity between them would be a wonderful thing. I really know little about Benzos, but I may be wrong but, I think that Musk is in this for more than making money. Money, is something he certainly is short of. I think Musk is a dreamer and a adventurer who is very passionate about forwarding man's search for knowledge concerning the cosmos. I also think he does care about humanity, and the fate of our planet. If you look at the charity's he donates to, it becomes clear he is very concerned about how the human race is destroying our home world.

Take Care my friend.

• Thanks 3

Manwon Lender
3 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Whatever is being said by Bezos and Musk the issue is Blue Origin is not getting the job done. 

That is very true, Blue Origin does have a great deal of work to do, and a long way to go.

Tatetopa

The whole thing bothers me a bit.  Instead of nations or the planet considering space  and the means to get there and back a resource for all humanity, it becomes private property.  I don't want to go back to a feudal system with corporate nobility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Orphalesion
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

The whole thing bothers me a bit.  Instead of nations or the planet considering space  and the means to get there and back a resource for all humanity, it becomes private property.  I don't want to go back to a feudal system with corporate nobility.

First we'd have to find a way to survive Mars, which I'm not sure is even possible for permanent habitation. It's a planet that features, among other nasty things: poisonous, extremely fine dust and alcaline, infertile soil, heaps of radiation, due to having little in terms of magnetic field/atmosphere, an atmosphere that's too thin and too alien for us to breathe, low gravity that atrophies muscles and bones,and a built-in energy crisis because all of our current ways of producing electricity are either significantly less effective on the red planet or lack native sources of fuel. 

With conditions like that... How is a long-term habitation even possible, let alone any idea of Martian cities or nations? So I doubt we'll face the danger of Musk or his progeny becoming Lords of Mars. 

Particularly the gravity thing is a problem, since there's no realistic way to increase it or to simulate it on a large (i.e. city-wide) scale. For the radiation humans migth opt for subterranean habitats, but if we go that route we migth as well colonize the subterranean parts of Earth. 

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

Tatetopa
2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

First we'd have to find a way to survive Mars, which I'm not sure is even possible for permanent habitation.

First we have to find a way to survive in near earth orbit, the ISS for example, which we are doing.  Maybe the moon next.  Mars does seem romantic, but for reasons you mention, maybe not practical.  Then come other near earth endeavors.  Energy collection, communications, eventually resource collection.  Energy and vacuum for a metallurgical furnace would be something we could achieve.  Making some alloys in zero G might alleviate the difficulty of blending heavy dense components and light ones that tend to separate in a gravitational field.  Pharmaceuticals made in a more sterile environment might also be advantageous.   Lots of opportunities that we haven't imagined yet.

The resultant commerce might grow into trillions rather than billions of dollars.  Those who control it can use those resources not to be lords of Mars, but of earth. When a few individuals control incomes larger than most countries and answer to nobody, a few of that number will be total a**hats, guaranteed.

• Like 2

Orphalesion
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

First we have to find a way to survive in near earth orbit, the ISS for example, which we are doing.  Maybe the moon next.  Mars does seem romantic, but for reasons you mention, maybe not practical.  Then come other near earth endeavors.  Energy collection, communications, eventually resource collection.  Energy and vacuum for a metallurgical furnace would be something we could achieve.  Making some alloys in zero G might alleviate the difficulty of blending heavy dense components and light ones that tend to separate in a gravitational field.  Pharmaceuticals made in a more sterile environment might also be advantageous.   Lots of opportunities that we haven't imagined yet.

The resultant commerce might grow into trillions rather than billions of dollars.  Those who control it can use those resources not to be lords of Mars, but of earth. When a few individuals control incomes larger than most countries and answer to nobody, a few of that number will be total a**hats, guaranteed.

Yes, a moon base or space stations in Earth/Moon orbit are indeed a lot more probable, and profitable, (for starters it would be easier to transport goods and resources and to rotate the crews to avoid muscular atrophy) and yes there are quite a lot of things that could be done better in the zero g and sterile conditions of such places. And yes, I agree a few individuals having a monopoly over that would be very undesirable.
The biggest problems with a moon base would be powering it during the lunar night (which lasts a fortnight and would make solar power useless during that time)and meteor impacts (micro and macro), since the lunar atmosphere is too thin to burn them up (the same is true for Mars) but due to the proximity to Earth those two problems could be solved by transporting uranium to the moon and using nuclear power during the nights, and by building the base in some secure location, such as the lunar caves we know to exist.
I still don't see us building permanent cities on the moon though. I'd sooner believe in permanently inhabited space stations, since they could simulate artificial gravity by having rotating habitat rings or some such.
And well, the alternate option to just gene-engineer low-gravity humans to live on the Moon or Mars has its own horrifying implications...

And of course any human spending time on the moon runs the danger of having their soul eaten by the Reptilians should they die there, but that's just something you gotta live with. (j/k!)

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

Jon the frog
Posted (edited)

Would be fun to do an exhibition boxing match with this two !

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Haha 1

third_eye

Better idea... Pillow fight, with bags of money... 

~

• Haha 1