Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Ark of the Covenant

docyabut2

No link? No thoughts?  

What about it?

• Like 2

Judaism - the monotheistic religion of the Jews having its spiritual and ethical principles embodied chiefly in the Torah and in the Talmud

Lucifer?

What about it?
  • Like 1

There is a Christian group in modern day Ethiopia that claim to still have the Ark, which was taken by Queen Sheba (or her descendants??) back to Ethiopia for protection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_of_the_Covenant#:~:text=The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church,%2C or Tabot%2C in Axum.&text=It narrates how the real,in the Temple in Jerusalem.

The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church claims to possess the Ark of the Covenant, or Tabot, in Axum. The object is currently kept under guard in a treasury near the Church of Our Lady Mary of Zion. Replicas of the Axum tabot are kept in every Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo church, each with its own dedication to a particular saint; the most popular of these include Mary, George and Michael.[90]

You can even go to the place where it is claimed to be, but if you try and get in I'm sure the armed guards would have something to say about it.

Edit: After reading your link, there are close ties between the Lemba people and the Tewahedo Church of Ethiopia

Edited by Hugh Mungus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

There is a Christian group in modern day Ethiopia that claim to still have the Ark, which was taken by Queen Sheba (or her descendants??) back to Ethiopia for protection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_of_the_Covenant#:~:text=The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church,%2C or Tabot%2C in Axum.&text=It narrates how the real,in the Temple in Jerusalem.

You can even go to the place where it is claimed to be, but if you try and get in I'm sure the armed guards would have something to say about it.

Edit: After reading your link, there are close ties between the Lemba people and the Tewahedo Church of Ethiopia

You are certainly right, however when the ark was supposed to have been brought to Ethiopia those Christians were actually Jewish, who later converted to Christianity. The interesting fact here is that genetic testing has proven that the descendants of the original people who were to have brought the Ark to Ethiopia have many if the same genetic characteristics as indigenous Israelis.

Take Care.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Ark of the covenant.

Thank you! Is this what is being discussed, or something else?

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

You are certainly right, however when the ark was supposed to have been brought to Ethiopia those Christians were actually Jewish, who later converted to Christianity. The interesting fact here is that genetic testing has proven that the descendants of the original people who were to have brought the Ark to Ethiopia have many if the same genetic characteristics as indigenous Israelis.

Take Care.

Strictly speaking if by Jewish you mean monotheistic Judaism then you are wrong. Jews/Israelites at the time of Solomon practiced Yahwism and NOT Judaism, there’s a difference. While Yahwism placed Yahweh at the head of ancient Jewish belief it allowed for the existence of other gods and goddesses. Judaism, which didn’t actually become predominant until some time in the 9th or 8th century BC made Yahweh the sole Jewish deity. 

cormac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, jadamz said:

You guys are hilarious! i want to be a member of a Forum like this.

Ark of the Covendent.

Lucifer.

What about it?

Sooooo good

Hi, jadamz :st Welcome to UM. It's good that you've got a sense of humour as there will be times when you will really need it! :D Have fun!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Strictly speaking if by Jewish you mean monotheistic Judaism then you are wrong. Jews/Israelites at the time of Solomon practiced Yahwism and NOT Judaism, there’s a difference. While Yahwism placed Yahweh at the head of ancient Jewish belief it allowed for the existence of other gods and goddesses. Judaism, which didn’t actually become predominant until some time in the 9th or 8th century BC made Yahweh the sole Jewish deity. 

cormac

Sorry, if my comments were confusing, however I was speaking specifically about genetic characteristics of the people. 

23 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Sorry, if my comments were confusing, however I was speaking specifically about genetic characteristics of the people. 

And yet, maybe not so much: 

Research which was published in 2013 in the South African Medical Journal studied Y-chromosomes variations in two groups of Lemba, one South African and the other Zimbabwean (the Remba). It concluded, "While it was not possible to unequivocally trace the origins of the non-African Y chromosomes in the Lemba and Remba, that this study does not support the earlier claims of their Jewish genetic heritage." The researcher suggested the existence of "a stronger link with Middle Eastern populations, probably the result of trade activity in the Indian Ocean."[10]

A 2014 article which analyzed earlier research which attempted to trace Jewish ancestry (not just of the Lemba) states:

In conclusion, while the observed distribution of sub-clades of haplotypes at mitochondrial and Y chromosome non-recombinant genomes might be compatible with founder events in recent times at the origin of Jewish groups as Cohenite, Levite, Ashkenazite, the overall substantial polyphyletism as well as their systematic occurrence in non-Jewish groups highlights the lack of support for using them either as markers of Jewish ancestry or Biblical tales.[11]

In a 2016 publication, Himla Soodyall and Jennifer G. R Kromberg state that:

When blood groups and scrum protein markers were used, the Lemba were indistinguishable from the neighbors among whom they lived; the same was true for mitochondrial DNA which represented the input of females in their gene pool. However, the Y chromosomes, which represented their history through male contributions, showed the link to non-African ancestors. When trying to elucidate the most likely geographic region of origin of the non-African Y chromosomes in the Lemba, the best that could be done was to narrow it to the Middle Eastern region.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemba_people

Apparently not as definitive as some would like to believe. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

And yet, maybe not so much: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemba_people

Apparently not as definitive as some would like to believe. 

cormac

Here is some addition information on the Subject.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1914832/pdf/ajhg00024-0161.pdf

https://journals.co.za/doi/pdf/10.10520/EJC145633

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Judaism, which didn’t actually become predominant until some time in the 9th or 8th century BC made Yahweh the sole Jewish deity. 

That's a mindblower. By that time, the house of Judah was defeated and Israel - no more. Thanks for that one, Cormac.

• Like 4

On 5/4/2021 at 11:51 PM, docyabut2 said:

What about the the ark of the convendent ?

The box that houses the tablets the 10 commandments are written on.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

A renowned archaeologist name Rene Belloc suggested in 1939 that the Ark was a radio for talking with God. Clever chap thag Belloc, he blew quite a few minds in him time. 

His chief detractor, Dr. Henry Jones Jr of Marshall College, had several items of note that certainly made Mr. Belloc envious.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jadamz said:

You guys are hilarious! i want to be a member of a Forum like this.

Ark of the Covendent.

Lucifer.

What about it?

Sooooo good

Looks like you already are....

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

Ark is kept under lock and key at St. James's Gate, Dublin3.

Actually @acute  filched it and buried it in Mellor Hall's basement under the servants' loo. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Piney said:
Actually @acute  filched it and buried it in Mellor Hall's basement under the servants' loo. :yes:

It's not there anymore. I used it as a blanket box in the spare bedroom for a while, then threw it out.

I was very disappointed when I first saw it.  It was Noah's Ark I wanted.

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, acute said:

It's not there anymore. I used it as a blanket box in the spare bedroom for a while, then threw it out.

I was very disappointed when I first saw it.  It was Noah's Ark I wanted.

I've got two of those, so if you give me your address and five million quid I'll send you one.  Anywhere with access to the sea and lax rules about importing dangerous animals.

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

I've got two of those, so if you give me your address and five million quid I'll send you one.  Anywhere with access to the sea and lax rules about importing dangerous animals.

I live in Birmingham, so my only access to the sea is via the medium of television.  But if you could drop the Ark into Bartley Reservoir, that would be great, thanks. :)

Edited by acute
By "drop" I mean "lower"
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

• The title was changed to The Ark of the Covenant