Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Ark of the Covenant

docyabut2

A lot of scholars believe the book of Deuteronomy was the only one that Moses had written.

Deuteronomy 
And I made an ark of shittim wood

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

A lot of scholars believe the book of Deuteronomy was the only one that Moses had written.

Deuteronomy 
And I made an ark of shittim wood

Here I was thinking a lot of scholars don’t even think Moses was real, what with the absolute dearth of evidence for him existing. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Here I was thinking a lot of scholars don’t even think Moses was real, what with the absolute dearth of evidence for him existing. 

—Jaylemurph 

It’s ironic that the Catholic Church may have done more harm long term than the good short term with their erasive  methods....

I'm not sure how we can ever prove many characters from the Bible were  “real”.

Edited by Nobu

Which "erasive methods" are those?

Harte

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nobu said:

It’s ironic that the Catholic Church may have done more harm long term than the good short term with their erasive  methods....

I've literally written a book on the Catholic church's attempts to erase the history of other Christian churches.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

I've literally written a book on the Catholic church's attempts to erase the history of other Christian churches.

--Jaylemurph

What's the title?  I would like to read it.

Edited by Desertrat56

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

What's the title?  I would like to read it.

It was my PhD dissertation. If my committee would have allowed it, it would have been called "The Lie of Christendom," but they suggested I not go for the option that would get me shanked by fundamentalists and/or Vatican priests. Which was a little odd, as the Vatican actually knew what I was writing about (I had arrangements to visit the Vatican Library as part of my research, but the funding fell through at the last moment. I still correspond with a variety of church folks in Europe as a part of ongoing research, like at St Gall and northern Spain.)

The book version (most scholars adapt their dissertation into a book released by university presses) is currently under contract and I'll be spending the summer adapting it and begging people for money for licensed illustrations. I should have the proofs (or at least a Word document with the text) in the late Fall and will be happy to share then. Basically, it looks at the rise of liturgical dramas (plays done during church services) in the 10th and 11th Centuries, where they appear out of nowhere. I suggest they appear in frontier areas where the catholic church was competing with other versions of christianity (like Celtic, Arian/Visigothic, and Gallic) as a tool for teaching "correct" beliefs. As the catholics became dominant, they moved the plays into more obscure times (like 2 am on the Saturday night before Easter instead during the Easter Day mass), largely because they were written by women.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

It was my PhD dissertation. If my committee would have allowed it, it would have been called "The Lie of Christendom," but they suggested I not go for the option that would get me shanked by fundamentalists and/or Vatican priests. Which was a little odd, as the Vatican actually knew what I was writing about (I had arrangements to visit the Vatican Library as part of my research, but the funding fell through at the last moment. I still correspond with a variety of church folks in Europe as a part of ongoing research, like at St Gall and northern Spain.)

The book version (most scholars adapt their dissertation into a book released by university presses) is currently under contract and I'll be spending the summer adapting it and begging people for money for licensed illustrations. I should have the proofs (or at least a Word document with the text) in the late Fall and will be happy to share then. Basically, it looks at the rise of liturgical dramas (plays done during church services) in the 10th and 11th Centuries, where they appear out of nowhere. I suggest they appear in frontier areas where the catholic church was competing with other versions of christianity (like Celtic, Arian/Visigothic, and Gallic) as a tool for teaching "correct" beliefs. As the catholics became dominant, they moved the plays into more obscure times (like 2 am on the Saturday night before Easter instead during the Easter Day mass), largely because they were written by women.

--Jaylemurph

Sounds interesting, especially that the plays were written largely by women, since the Romans never liked women to get off their pedestals and actually do anything useful unless they were chattel. 

How sexist.

Not ALL women write largely, you know.

Harte

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Nobu said:

And this is, interestingly, the heart of a massive theological discussion going on within Catholicism today, from the lay level , through the education sector to the very Vatican-y bits at the apex of the whole shebang.

we even explore the Bible differentiating between the world of the text (what’s on the page) and the world behind the text (what history is telling us was going on) and if the world behind the text contradicts the world of the text the onus is on the believer to accept that and adapt their belief structure in light of reality. 

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 2

it has always baffled me how  'in this day & age' folk still believe in/ live by all this religious crap.....

I've often pondered over the 'possibility' of a <galactic federation> kinda thing where races need to get out of the god worshiping stage of evolution before being accepted into the fold.. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

it has always baffled me how  'in this day & age' folk still believe in/ live by all this religious crap.....

I've often pondered over the 'possibility' of a <galactic federation> kinda thing where races need to get out of the god worshiping stage of evolution before being accepted into the fold.. 

Yes, yes and a million times yes! Would love to see such a thing!

• Like 2

Moses was a real person :)

In the movie, he was born around 1,301 BC, since Ramses II was born in February of 1,303 and was around 2 when Moses was adopted. However, Moses was probably born around 1,372 BC in real life. Moses was seen again speaking with Elijah the prophet during Jesus Christ's transfiguration in the book of Matthew 17:4 in the Christian Bible.

Edited by docyabut2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Yes, yes and a million times yes! Would love to see such a thing!

hmmm? how long will it take do you think?

the belief in god/s is declining so, eer, 100 years?;)

Just now, Dejarma said:

hmmm? how long will it take do you think?

the belief in god/s is declining so, eer, 100 years?;)

Well I'd love to see the rate of decline, seen a few surveys regarding some Arab countries, in the UAE they reckon Atheism is growing. I honestly think the more countries get "Westernised" the quicker religion will go. So maybe after a few more wars I'd say 80-100 years. ^^

3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Moses was a real person :)

There’s no verifiable evidence to support that conclusion. 

cormac

• Like 2

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

jesus was a real person.. when i'm asked: 'do i believe jesus existed'?.. i'll respond with: 'what one'? because jesus was a popular name in that region at the time= as brilliantly depicted in a red dwarf episode;)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

Moses was a real person, but was buried a long way to the promise land, he was real,  :(

Edited by docyabut2

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

jesus was a real person.. when i'm asked: 'do i believe jesus existed'?.. i'll respond with: 'what one'? because jesus was a popular name in that region at the time= as brilliantly depicted in a red dwarf episode;)

Jesus, the man, very likely existed. Jesus, the Christ, not so much. And even the man very likely was given attributes from other same-named individuals. 

cormac

• Like 3

Moses was a real person, but was buried a long way to the promise land, he was real,  :(

Nice story. 

cormac

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

Jesus was a real person he was")

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

Jesus, the man, very likely existed. Jesus, the Christ, not so much. And even the man very likely was given attributes from other same-named individuals. 

oh no doubt... But what do you know!? With regards to facts, you know nothing! Same as me:

hmmm, same as everyone else- fascinating aint it:rolleyes:

Jesus was a real person he was")

He is the captain of Sevilla FC and usually plays as a right winger.

• Haha 3

• The title was changed to The Ark of the Covenant