Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Ark of the Covenant

docyabut2

19 minutes ago, Jon101 said:

Shittim wood!.Snigger.

I am always VERY careful about which version of the Bible I get my students to use from Bible gateway when doing RE because of this very reason. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jon101 said:

Shittim wood!.

Snigger.

No wonder it fell apart, right?

Harte

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Termites also exist in the middle-east as do some other wood boring beetles and wood eating insects.

Holy termites, now.

Dined on a sacrament.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Holy termites, now.

Dined on a sacrament.

Harte

With a side order of manna I hope.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

how-was-the-Ark-of-the-Covenant-carried-across-the-wilderness-ngoma-lungundu.jpg

Ark of the covenant 

If that is what you think the Ark looks like, then you never read the Bible.

Biblical accounts describe the Ark as large, about the size of a 19th-century seaman's chest, made of gold-plated wood, and topped with two large, golden angels. It was carried using poles inserted through rings on its sides.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/ark-covenant

Edited to add:

And this is the source of your image:

Ngoma lungundu

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 3

Pretty sure the word “drum” existed in Ancient Hebrew. And that they, as a people, weren’t reduced to calling things random words.

—Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Biblical accounts describe the Ark as large, about the size of a 19th-century seaman's chest, made of gold-plated wood, and topped with two large, golden angels. It was carried using poles inserted through rings on its sides.

Edited to add:

Ngoma lungundu

"This study shows how the Lemba have constructed their own set of beliefs around Biblical myths in the context of marginalisation among other African communities. "

32 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Pretty sure the word “drum” existed in Ancient Hebrew. And that they, as a people, weren’t reduced to calling things random words.

—Jaylemurph 

You really do have nothing worthwhile to add to this thread, right?

3 hours ago, Abramelin said:

You really do have nothing worthwhile to add to this thread, right?

Well, the whole “the actually made a drum” argument can be defeated by the fact that if they’d made a drum, they’d have said we made a drum” and described .... a drum, not a crate. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

Obviously.

I mean, what with the pa rum pum pum pum constantly blaring for an entire season.

Harte

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Obviously.

I mean, what with the pa rum pum pum pum constantly blaring for an entire season.

Harte

I believe this thread needs a limerick. Something profoundly silly and involving Biblical themes, memes and the odd bit of the supernatural

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hanslune said:

I believe this thread needs a limerick. Something profoundly silly and involving Biblical themes, memes and the odd bit of the supernatural

Be careful what you wish for.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Edited to add:

Ngoma lungundu

It seems that Moses made an Ark for the tablets, and then Moses was instructed to have Bezalel make one. So, were there two different Arks? Did Moses first make a simple one of wood, and then later have Bezalel make a gold one?

why I  think the Bezalel  was exaggerated of the writer ,in the Exodus 

How many Arks of the Covenant were made? — Is there one in heaven too? | NeverThirsty

Edited by docyabut2

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" (Hebrew: לֹא-תַעֲשֶׂה לְךָ פֶסֶל, וְכָל-תְּמוּנָה‎) is an abbreviated form of one of the Ten Commandments which, according to the Book of Deuteronomy, were spoken by God to the Israelites and then written on stone tablets by the Finger of God.[1]

Although no single biblical passage contains a complete definition of idolatry, the subject is addressed in numerous passages, so that idolatry may be summarized as the worship of idols or images; the worship of polytheistic gods by use of idols or images; the worship of created things (trees, rocks, animals, astronomical bodies, or another human being); and the use of idols in the worship of God (YHWH Elohim, the God of Israel).[2] In the New Testament covetousness (greed) is defined as idolatry.[3] When the commandment was given, opportunities to participate in the honor or worship of idols abounded, and the religions of Canaanite tribes neighboring the Israelites often centered on a carefully constructed and maintained cult idol.[4] However, according to the book of Deuteronomy the Israelites were strictly warned to neither adopt nor adapt any of the religious practices of the peoples around them.[5]

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image - Wikipedia

12 hours ago, Hanslune said:

I disagree.

I think what it needs is a suggested new location for the Ark (and why should the Holy Grail be left out?)

1 hour ago, Windowpane said:

I disagree.

I think what it needs is a suggested new location for the Ark (and why should the Holy Grail be left out?)

Rupert knows. The ark was and the stones inside smashed and the gold recycled. The larger part of that gold, (11% of the gold used in making the ark) resides in gold reserves of Italy the rest is scattered in jewelry and coins across the world with a significant amount buried or at the bottom of the sea. The Holy Grail was accidentally smashed a few years after JCs execution and its sherds lay beneath a modern road and Israel army checkpoint near the location of ancient Bethany in Judea located on the southeastern slope of the Mount of Olives.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Ark of the Covenant

Moses  would never have made those images.

Yes, way to 'Golden calf' looking

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Yes, way to 'Golden calf' looking

Hi Hans

I always wonder where slaves got enough gold to make a golden calf did they steal it?

The Role of the Ark

The Ark was used in the desert and in Israel proper for a number of spiritual and pragmatic purposes. Practically, God used the Ark as an indicator of when he wanted the nation to travel, and when to stop. In the traveling formation in the desert, the Ark was carried 2000 cubits ahead of the nation (Num. R. 2:9). According to one midrash, it would clear the path for the nation by burning snakes, scorpions, and thorns with two jets of flame that shot from its underside.

, it could be like this with gun powder in it :)

See the source image

6 minutes ago, closed for business said:

Hi Hans

I always wonder where slaves got enough gold to make a golden calf did they steal it?

Well, that is one of the question one doesn't ask. Like who exactly was Qelima.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Well, that is one of the question one doesn't ask. Like who exactly was Qelima.

Hi Hans

Ah yes the sister-wife

4 minutes ago, closed for business said:

Hi Hans

Ah yes the sister-wife

....damn you mentioned it. Gakk, that means a demon is headed up to work his evil on you. Expect a deluge  of lost socks, stale bread, moldy fruit and neighborhood dogs using your yard as a bathroom

• Haha 2

• The title was changed to The Ark of the Covenant