Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
docyabut2

The Ark of the Covenant

485 posts in this topic

Harte
On 8/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, Hanslune said:

I'll have you know I once beaned a spiting camel at almost six feet away!

The only camels I ever "beaned" (as you call it) were toes.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nobu
3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Which does suggest a re-created artifact, since that wood wouldn't have been readily available to anyone north of central Africa.

Yeah that was my point. They get that large… but I have doubts they get that large in that terrain and elevation.

• Like 2

Nobu
Posted (edited)

Also remember that with wood… sure you can make a large bowl like drum when it’s green but it will immediately crack after about a 3 weeks in dry arid air. It takes a lot longer to create a wood carving from green wood that wouldn’t crack… think years and not weeks

Edited by Nobu
  • Like 2

Thanos5150
Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2021 at 5:17 PM, Kenemet said:

Oh dear.You've gotten ahold of a site that has warped the original scriptures.  Moses did not go up a pyramid. It was Mount Sinai, and well known in tradition and literature.

Are you sure?   

BTW, there aren't any pyramids in the middle of any desert (unless they're modern.  Giza, et al, are in the middle of what then was a well guarded cemetery beside the Nile.

Really...? 

Yep.  You've gotten ahold of something that's a very modern misinterpretation.

Like the clap? 

"Unified field" is one of those meaningless buzzwords that could mean any darn thing from math to football game rules to an acre of genetically modified wheat.  "Unified field theory" in physics is something very different than "unified field theory" for psychology.  And none of them apply to constructing middle sized boxes.

Whew. Thanks for that because this was the one point this person really had me on until you explained it.

Seriously-why? 

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Confused 1

docyabut2

One of Ten Commandment 

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image

Moses  would never have made those images.

Ark of the Covenant

Sir Wearer of Hats
Just now, docyabut2 said:

One of Ten Commandment 

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image

Moses  would never have made those images.

Ark of the Covenant

Unless I’m getting my Arks confused, God told Moses how the Ark was to be designed. 

• Like 3

Kenemet
4 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

Are you sure?   

Really...? 

Like the clap? 

Whew. Thanks for that because this was the one point this person really had me on until you explained it.

Seriously-why? 

Yes, I'm quite sure it was Mount Sinai.  It's so identified in the Bible, identified in Jewish tradition (and surely they'd know) and no, they didn't stop off at Giza for Moses to scramble up and play tourist and break into the compound past the temples and guards and priests.  Nor did they camp out in the cemetery (which is right there on the Nile) right across from the capital city of Egypt;

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that if they'd stumbled across a vast city with unclimbable white walls around the palace and administrative buildings (description of old Memphis) with thousands of other houses and fields next to that, that they would have either been seen as an invading army (and had troops and chariots out after them, toot sweet.)  And they might have noticed that the people in the fields were Egyptian and that meant that Moses still hadn't managed to lead them out of Egypt and that they'd somehow managed to sneak back across the Reed Sea without noticing it.

Thutmose III and Amunhotep II and others were building chapels there at Giza during the New Kingdom... so it wasn't deserted and most certainly had a lot of people up there.  There's no mention of the Israelites standing around and hunting up pocket change so Moses could do a little tourist climbing.

And seriously, like other such ideas, the one coming up with it a) didn't bother to read much on any of the topics (such as the Bible and various versions of the manuscripts, traditional Jewish literature, archaeology of Giza, etc -- and b) decided on the basis of Not Knowing Much (and not knowing how little they knew) plus other non-information from people who also didn't study the subject that the best thing to do was come up with a NEW idea to pass around... and toss in pyramids because everybody knows that you need pyramids to make things work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

docyabut2
24 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Unless I’m getting my Arks confused, God told Moses how the Ark was to be designed. 

what I  guess  

It seems that Moses made an Ark for the tablets, and then Moses was instructed to have Bezalel make one. So, were there two different Arks? Did Moses first make a simple one of wood, and then later have Bezalel make a gold one?

yes there were two different Arks.

why I  think the Bezalel  was a exaggerated of the writer of gold ,in the Exodus 

docyabut2

Gee all the pyramids were never mention in the Bible :) 

Sir Wearer of Hats
14 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

what I  guess  

It seems that Moses made an Ark for the tablets, and then Moses was instructed to have Bezalel make one. So, were there two different Arks? Did Moses first make a simple one of wood, and then later have Bezalel make a gold one?

yes there were two different Arks.

why I  think the Bezalel  was a exaggerated of the writer of gold ,in the Exodus 

He certainly carried them in something - or were they static at Mount Ararat until the Ark was completed? 

Golden Duck
20 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

They probably don't exist. 

• Haha 1

docyabut2
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

They probably don't exist. 

The pyramids do exist ,but the Bible writers don't mention any thing about the pyramids , the ark of covenant has nothing to do with the pyramids that  bilibite `s theory  writes about :(

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 3

Golden Duck
8 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

The pyramids do exist ,but the Bible writers don't mention any thing about the pyramids , the ark of covenant has nothing to do with the pyramids that  bilibite `s theory  writes about :(

Thanks. That's good to know. :tu:

• Haha 1

docyabut2
Posted (edited)

how-was-the-Ark-of-the-Covenant-carried-across-the-wilderness-ngoma-lungundu.jpg

Ark of the covenant 

what I believe the ark was like this, that Moses made a ark, a drum,  a voice of God:) 

I  do believe Parfitt believes he has found the Ark of the Covenant—See the source image

I believe Tudor Parfitt found it Parfitt began to suspect the Ark of the Covenant was a drum in the late 1980s while studying an African tribe called the Lemba. Using genetic testing, he was able to verify a piece of their oral tradition, that they descended from Israelites. At the time, his discovery was featured on 60 Minutes and the BBC.

Professor Says He Found Ark of the Covenant-Maybe - Beliefnet News

Edited by docyabut2

Thanos5150
5 hours ago, Kenemet said:

[snip]

tenor-1-1.gif?resize=498,365&ssl=1

• Haha 1

jaylemurph
21 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

…you sure about that? They were called Joseph’s Granaries for a reason. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

docyabut2
3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

Egyptian granaries[edit]

Ancient Egypt had one of the most successful and stable agricultural economies of the ancient world, and had both a system and facilities for grain storage: larger granaries were attached to temples and palaces, while smaller ones were dispersed within the town.[80] There were essentially two types, one with a circular base, the other with a square or rectangular one. The circular granaries were shaped like beehives and were some 5 meters high and 2–3 meters in diameter. The grain was added through a door in the top by men standing on ladders, and was removed as needed from a similar door near the bottom. Very often these beehive storehouses were in groups of five or six and placed in a walled enclosure. The rectangular style of granary was constructed on similar principles, and though the side walls sloped gradually towards the top, where there was a flat roof, they were never of a true pyramidal form.[81]

Joseph's Granaries - Wikipedia

• Like 4

Djedi

There is of course zero evidence that the Exodus ever happened or that the Israelites were in Egypt for 400 years, the majority of the experts agree that (almost) the whole story is fiction (including Moses). On the other hand, the 350 years of Egyptian colonization / occupation of Canaan is never mentioned  in the OT.

The Exodus is a piece of propaganda / legitimization myth in which the Ark is just a side note. One of the main themes is trying to justify how their original main god El became the same as Yahweh.

The Ark of the Covenant was possibly constructed in Canaan itself during or just after the Egyptian occupation, could have been in an 'Egyptianising  style' as depicted in Exodus; centuries of cultural exchange with the Egyptian civilization make such a scenario possible.

• Like 1

docyabut2
1 hour ago, Djedi said:

There is of course zero evidence that the Exodus ever happened or that the Israelites were in Egypt for 400 years, the majority of the experts agree that (almost) the whole story is fiction (including Moses). On the other hand, the 350 years of Egyptian colonization / occupation of Canaan is never mentioned  in the OT.

The Exodus is a piece of propaganda / legitimization myth in which the Ark is just a side note. One of the main themes is trying to justify how their original main god El became the same as Yahweh.

The Ark of the Covenant was possibly constructed in Canaan itself during or just after the Egyptian occupation, could have been in an 'Egyptianising  style' as depicted in Exodus; centuries of cultural exchange with the Egyptian civilization make such a scenario possible.

Habiru and the biblical Hebrews[edit]

The biblical word "Hebrew", like Habiru, began as a social category, and evolved into an ethnic one. [15] Since the discovery of the 2nd millennium BCE inscriptions mentioning the Habiru, there have been many theories linking these to the Hebrews of the Bible.[6]

Habiru - Wikipedia

Sir Wearer of Hats
7 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Habiru and the biblical Hebrews[edit]

The biblical word "Hebrew", like Habiru, began as a social category, and evolved into an ethnic one. [15] Since the discovery of the 2nd millennium BCE inscriptions mentioning the Habiru, there have been many theories linking these to the Hebrews of the Bible.[6]

Habiru - Wikipedia

Many theories, yes. And damn near all of them rejected by Jewish Historians, Biblical Scholars, the Catholic Church....

• Like 2

Kenemet
On 8/6/2021 at 11:03 PM, Thanos5150 said:

tenor-1-1.gif?resize=498,365&ssl=1

An ineffective response, I'm afraid.  I have no idea who this person is or what the context is.

You'd do better with words.

• Thanks 3

onlookerofmayhem
1 minute ago, Kenemet said:

An ineffective response, I'm afraid.  I have no idea who this person is or what the context is.

You'd do better with words.

That is Dr. Steve Brule!

Kenemet
On 8/7/2021 at 3:11 PM, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

Check out the interior dimensions: http://repertorium.net/rostau/measures.html

For the King's Chamber, length is 10 ft, height is a shade over 11 feet, and the width is 20 feet... about 2,000 cubic feet of space.

A single beehive shaped grainery (such as we know they used in the past and use today) holds about 1,500 cubic feet of grain. So five of them would hold 4,500 cubic feet of grain in a very accessible form (instead of crawling down 100 feet of sloping passages.)

So the total volume of grain in those hard to reach places would be less than the average grain harvest for one village.   Joseph could not have fed one day's worth of hungry people in Egypt.

• Thanks 1

Kenemet
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

That is Dr. Steve Brule!

....who is....????  actor? physicist?  comedian?  character on a tv show???  someone from a movie????

Seriously.  No clue here.

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 2

jaylemurph
57 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Check out the interior dimensions: http://repertorium.net/rostau/measures.html

For the King's Chamber, length is 10 ft, height is a shade over 11 feet, and the width is 20 feet... about 2,000 cubic feet of space.

A single beehive shaped grainery (such as we know they used in the past and use today) holds about 1,500 cubic feet of grain. So five of them would hold 4,500 cubic feet of grain in a very accessible form (instead of crawling down 100 feet of sloping passages.)

So the total volume of grain in those hard to reach places would be less than the average grain harvest for one village.   Joseph could not have fed one day's worth of hungry people in Egypt.

I'm not seriously suggesting it was a granary.

I was pointing out that centuries of christians /did/, based on their reading of Genesis, and that Docy's pronouncement was less than researched.

Of course, I kind of deserve this for even trying to talk sense to her.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3