Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Council of Europe

Ozymandias

The Council of Europe (French: Conseil de l'Europe) is an international organisation founded in the wake of World War II to uphold human rights, democracy and the rule of law in Europe. Founded on 5 may 1949, it has 47 member states, with a population of approximately 820 million, and operates with an annual budget of approximately 500 million euros. Its headquarters id based in Strasbourg.

Today, 5 May, is the 72nd anniversary of its foundation with the signing of the Treaty of London. The treaty was signed in London on that day by ten states: Belgium, Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and the United Kingdom, 

The Council of Europe cannot make binding laws, but it does have the power to enforce select international agreements reached by European states on various topics. The best known body of the Council of Europe is the European Court of Human Rights, which enforces the European Convention on Human Rights.

Symbol: the European Flag with 12 golden stars arranged in a circle on a blue background.Flag of Europe.svg

Its musical anthem since 1972, the "European Anthem", is based on the "Ode to Joy" theme from Ludwig van Beethoven's ninth symphony.

Anthem of Europe (Latin/English) - Bing video

Article 1(a) of the Statute of the Council of Europe states that: "The aim of the Council of Europe is to achieve a greater unity between its members for the purpose of safeguarding and realising the ideals and principles which are their common heritage and facilitating their economic and social progress." 

Membership is open to all European states who seek harmony, cooperation, good governance and human rights, accepting the principle of the rule of law and are able and willing to guarantee democracy, fundamental human rights and freedoms.

Council of Europe - Wikipedia

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The most EvIL vile people running this corporation under their control.  :sk  Glad Britain got out of this cess pit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

The most EvIL vile people running this corporation under their control.  :sk  Glad Britain got out of this cess pit.

I think you should at least make a better effort to learn about, and understand, what it is you condemn. I always say - and this is a perfect example of it - that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the  quality of an opinion entirely depends on how well informed the holder is. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

I think you should at least make a better effort to learn about, and understand, what it is you condemn. I always say - and this is a perfect example of it - that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the  quality of an opinion entirely depends on how well informed the holder is. 

I am very well informed thanks.  The destruction of the royal family, sovereignty and currency for the euro... :no:no thanks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

I am very well informed thanks.  The destruction of the royal family, sovereignty and currency for the euro... :no:no thanks.

I have considered responding, but I don't know where to start really.  I think I will just say that you may not be as well informed as you believe yourself to be.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

The Council of Europe isn't the same organization as The European Union. It's much older and the UK is still a member.

MEMBERS

Flag Arms State[11] Capital Date joined Notes
Netherlands Netherlands Netherlands Amsterdam 5 May 1949 Founder
Belgium Belgium Belgium Brussels 5 May 1949 Founder
Luxembourg Luxembourg Luxembourg Luxembourg 5 May 1949 Founder
Denmark Denmark Denmark Copenhagen 5 May 1949 Founder
France France France Paris 5 May 1949 Founder
Norway Norway Norway Oslo 5 May 1949 Founder
Sweden Sweden Sweden Stockholm 5 May 1949 Founder
United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom London 5 May 1949 Founder
Republic of Ireland Ireland Ireland Dublin 5 May 1949 Founder
Italy Italy Italy Rome 5 May 1949 Founder
Greece Greece Greece Athens 9 August 1949[2][3] Withdrew temporarily from Council membership due to the Greek case during the military dictatorship.
Iceland Iceland Iceland Reykjavík 7 March 1950[4][5]  
Turkey N/A Turkey Ankara 13 April 1950[6][7]  
Germany Germany Germany Berlin 13 July 1950[8][9] The Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the Saar Protectorate became associate members in 1950. The Federal Republic became a full member in 1951. The Saar acceded to the Federal Republic in 1956, and the states of the former East Germany became part of the Federal Republic upon reunification in 1990. East Germany had never been a member of the Council.
Austria Austria Austria Vienna 16 April 1956  
Cyprus Cyprus Cyprus Nicosia 24 May 1961  
Switzerland Switzerland Switzerland Bern 6 May 1963  
Malta Malta Malta Valletta 29 April 1965  
Portugal Portugal Portugal Lisbon 22 September 1976  
Spain Spain Spain Madrid 24 November 1977  
Liechtenstein Liechtenstein Liechtenstein Vaduz 23 November 1978  
San Marino San Marino San Marino San Marino 16 November 1988  
Finland Finland Finland Helsinki 5 May 1989  
Hungary Hungary Hungary Budapest 6 November 1990  
Poland Poland Poland Warsaw 26 November 1991  
Bulgaria Bulgaria Bulgaria Sofia 7 May 1992  
Estonia Estonia Estonia Tallinn 14 May 1993  
Lithuania Lithuania Lithuania Vilnius 14 May 1993  
Slovenia Slovenia Slovenia Ljubljana 14 May 1993  
Czech Republic Czech Republic Czech Republic Prague 30 June 1993 Previously a member of the Council as part of Czechoslovakia from 21 January 1991 to the latter's dissolution on 31 December 1992.
Slovakia Slovakia Slovakia Bratislava 30 June 1993 Previously a member of the Council as part of Czechoslovakia from 21 January 1991 to the latter's dissolution on 31 December 1992.
Romania Romania Romania Bucharest 7 October 1993  
Andorra Andorra Andorra Andorra la Vella 10 November 1994  
Latvia Latvia Latvia Riga 10 February 1995  
Moldova Moldova Moldova Chișinău 13 July 1995  
Albania Albania Albania Tirana 13 July 1995  
Ukraine Ukraine Ukraine Kyiv 9 November 1995  
North Macedonia North Macedonia North Macedonia Skopje 9 November 1995 Until 12 February 2019 called Republic of Macedonia, officially referred to as "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" due to a naming dispute.
Russia Russia Russia Moscow 28 February 1996  
Croatia Croatia Croatia Zagreb 6 November 1996  
Georgia (country) Georgia (country) Georgia Tbilisi 27 April 1999  
Armenia Armenia Armenia Yerevan 25 January 2001  
Azerbaijan Azerbaijan Azerbaijan Baku 25 January 2001  
Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnia and Herzegovina Sarajevo 24 April 2002  
Monaco Monaco Monaco Monaco 5 October 2004  
Serbia Serbia Serbia Belgrade 14 June 2006 Originally joined as Serbia and Montenegro. After Montenegrin independence in 2006, the Committee of Ministers declared that the Republic of Serbia would continue the membership of the former State Union of Serbia and Montenegro.[12]
Montenegro Montenegro Montenegro Podgorica 11 May 2007 Previously a member of the Council as part of Serbia and Montenegro from 2003.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

I think the word you are looking for is uninformed, not well informed. :whistle:

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ted hughes said:

I have considered responding, but I don't know where to start really.  I think I will just say that you may not be as well informed as you believe yourself to be.

Unless I voted for the EU to take over Britain?:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think the word you are looking for is uninformed, not well informed. :whistle:

adjective
adjective: uninformed
  1. not having or showing awareness or understanding of the facts.

adjective
    adjective: informed
    having or showing knowledge of a subject or situation.

I'm Going for Informed:w00t:

1 minute ago, Dreamer screamer said:

adjective

adjective

Good for you! But, I don't think it will catch on. 

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The Council of Europe isn't the same organization as The European Union. It's much older and the UK is still a member.

MEMBERS

Flag Arms State[11] Capital Date joined Notes
Netherlands Netherlands Netherlands Amsterdam 5 May 1949 Founder
Belgium Belgium Belgium Brussels 5 May 1949 Founder
Luxembourg Luxembourg Luxembourg Luxembourg 5 May 1949 Founder
Denmark Denmark Denmark Copenhagen 5 May 1949 Founder
France France France Paris 5 May 1949 Founder
Norway Norway Norway Oslo 5 May 1949 Founder
Sweden Sweden Sweden Stockholm 5 May 1949 Founder
United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom London 5 May 1949 Founder
Republic of Ireland Ireland Ireland Dublin 5 May 1949 Founder
Italy Italy Italy Rome 5 May 1949 Founder
Greece Greece Greece Athens 9 August 1949[2][3] Withdrew temporarily from Council membership due to the Greek case during the military dictatorship.
Iceland Iceland Iceland Reykjavík 7 March 1950[4][5]  
Turkey N/A Turkey Ankara 13 April 1950[6][7]  
Germany Germany Germany Berlin 13 July 1950[8][9] The Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the Saar Protectorate became associate members in 1950. The Federal Republic became a full member in 1951. The Saar acceded to the Federal Republic in 1956, and the states of the former East Germany became part of the Federal Republic upon reunification in 1990. East Germany had never been a member of the Council.
Austria Austria Austria Vienna 16 April 1956  
Cyprus Cyprus Cyprus Nicosia 24 May 1961  
Switzerland Switzerland Switzerland Bern 6 May 1963  
Malta Malta Malta Valletta 29 April 1965  
Portugal Portugal Portugal Lisbon 22 September 1976  
Spain Spain Spain Madrid 24 November 1977  
Liechtenstein Liechtenstein Liechtenstein Vaduz 23 November 1978  
San Marino San Marino San Marino San Marino 16 November 1988  
Finland Finland Finland Helsinki 5 May 1989  
Hungary Hungary Hungary Budapest 6 November 1990  
Poland Poland Poland Warsaw 26 November 1991  
Bulgaria Bulgaria Bulgaria Sofia 7 May 1992  
Estonia Estonia Estonia Tallinn 14 May 1993  
Lithuania Lithuania Lithuania Vilnius 14 May 1993  
Slovenia Slovenia Slovenia Ljubljana 14 May 1993  
Czech Republic Czech Republic Czech Republic Prague 30 June 1993 Previously a member of the Council as part of Czechoslovakia from 21 January 1991 to the latter's dissolution on 31 December 1992.
Slovakia Slovakia Slovakia Bratislava 30 June 1993 Previously a member of the Council as part of Czechoslovakia from 21 January 1991 to the latter's dissolution on 31 December 1992.
Romania Romania Romania Bucharest 7 October 1993  
Andorra Andorra Andorra Andorra la Vella 10 November 1994  
Latvia Latvia Latvia Riga 10 February 1995  
Moldova Moldova Moldova Chișinău 13 July 1995  
Albania Albania Albania Tirana 13 July 1995  
Ukraine Ukraine Ukraine Kyiv 9 November 1995  
North Macedonia North Macedonia North Macedonia Skopje 9 November 1995 Until 12 February 2019 called Republic of Macedonia, officially referred to as "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" due to a naming dispute.
Russia Russia Russia Moscow 28 February 1996  
Croatia Croatia Croatia Zagreb 6 November 1996  
Georgia (country) Georgia (country) Georgia Tbilisi 27 April 1999  
Armenia Armenia Armenia Yerevan 25 January 2001  
Azerbaijan Azerbaijan Azerbaijan Baku 25 January 2001  
Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnia and Herzegovina Sarajevo 24 April 2002  
Monaco Monaco Monaco Monaco 5 October 2004  
Serbia Serbia Serbia Belgrade 14 June 2006 Originally joined as Serbia and Montenegro. After Montenegrin independence in 2006, the Committee of Ministers declared that the Republic of Serbia would continue the membership of the former State Union of Serbia and Montenegro.[12]
Montenegro Montenegro Montenegro Podgorica 11 May 2007 Previously a member of the Council as part of Serbia and Montenegro from 2003.

After ww2, a war so tragic that no one ever wanted another war created all this and more which coincidentally was eventually going to be announced in 1991: A new world order is on the horizon.    

Luckyilly we started to pull the legs off the spider disabling the spiders ability to control the world from a central computer system.      Not over yet.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Ohh, s*ut up, boy.

Edited by toast
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

In the last decade under the Tories, the UK has not been an exemplary member of the Council of Europe or its Parliamentary Assembly, but UK Conservative delegates, as members of the conservative group in the Assembly known as EC/DA (European Conservatives Group and Democratic Alliance), have consistently defended illiberal regimes.

‘The UK was a founding member of the Council of Europe in 1949 and an early signatory of the European Convention on Human Rights in 1950leading the effort to unify a war-shattered continent on the three pillars of human rights, democracy and the rule of law.

‘[The UK’s] record is clouded by the negative and sometimes intemperate discourse surrounding [its] relationship with Strasbourg; indeed, no mature democracy has done more to destabilise the Council of Europe in recent years than the UK. Calls by judicial figures and politicians for the UK to resist the authority of the Court and even consider leaving the Convention, based on the perception that judges tie the hands of elected politicians, mark the nadir of this debate.

The Brexit vote took Strasbourg out of the firing lineand continued adherence to the Convention is a red line for Brussels in its negotiations with the UK. Yet, the damage is already done. Mere discussion of rupture with the Council of Europe emboldens states such as Russia to flout their human rights obligations; for example, the UK’s protracted refusal to implement prisoner voting judgments was cited in the Duma as a basis for Russia to do the same and paved the way for a Russian law which empowers the Constitutional Court to declare rulings of any international human rights body ‘impossible to implement’.

Not only that, but Conservative MPs who are delegates to the Council of Europe’s deliberative arm, the Parliamentary Assembly, have used it as a venue to mount an ideological defence of illiberal rule in, inter alia, Turkey, Hungary and Polandand to scupper (successfully in Hungary’s case) attempts to intensify scrutiny on these states by means of the Assembly’s monitoring procedure.

The UK espouses a strong commitment to tackling violence against women and girls, and has established cross-party support on the issue, but it is the only western European state that has not yet ratified the Council of Europe’s Istanbul Convention, often described as a ‘gold standard’ of treaties on gender-based violence and domestic violence.

In the post-Brexit era, the time is ripe for the UK to reset its relationship with the Council of Europe and reclaim the moral and political leadership that it once showed. The UK’s relinquishing of its formerly exemplary role is not only corrosive of the organisation and its values, but also weakens the UK’s ability to use the Council of Europe as an alternative forum within which to engage with 46 other European member states.

The Foreign Affairs Committee recently concluded that, as competition between nations intensifies, it falls on democratic nations to uphold the rules-based international system, including democracy, human rights and free trade. … Damaging rhetoric that has done so much to undermine the Council of Europe must cease and the UK must, as the Foreign Affairs Committee implores, put itself back on the right side of the battle between the competing visions of autocracies and those that champion a rules-based order at home and abroad.

https://fpc.org.uk/engaging-with-europe-after-brexit-time-to-reset-the-uks-relationship-with-the-council-of-europe/

8 hours ago, ted hughes said:

I`ve read a lot of his (meanwhile 2300 posts) before I`ve set him on ignore and I can confirm that not one of these posts matched his claim of post# 4. He like to hijack all kind of threads and pollute these with his very own stupidity. He is a troll, simply just that. And not the brightest candle on the cake, apparently.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, toast said:

Ohh, s*ut up, boy.

:D BREXIT!!!!

1 minute ago, toast said:

I`ve read a lot of his (meanwhile 2300 posts) before I`ve set him on ignore and I can confirm that not one of these posts matched his claim of post# 4. He like to hijack all kind of threads and pollute these with his very own stupidity. He is a troll, simply just that. And not the brightest candle on the cake, apparently.

Of course I am stupid if I go against your insanity.     "we're all going to jump off a bridge, are you with us?"  :no:   TROLL ALERT!!!!!

43 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

adjective

adjective

You didn't know what the Council of Europe is and that the UK is a member, thus "not having or showing awareness or understanding of the facts." 

"having or showing knowledge of a subject or situation." was clearly not the case. 

So by the definition that you provided you are indeed uninformed. I really love it when people debunk themselves. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

The UK are still a member. They have not left. 

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The UK are still a member. They have not left. 

Yes Boris put us back to the EEC.    Why?   is it so they can get more foreign people in and on to the land via Dover.  Drip them in slowly so they can vote the way the system wants to get us back on track. Just like how Ireland voted against the EU but miraculously got a second vote and then was happy they got the vote to be in on Europe.    I thought there should be a third vote, that would of been the final vote to make things fair.   Oh yeah, once the plan goes accordingly, then pull the plug and run.  GOT CHA!!!!!

As David cameron said, "this is your last chance, there is no going back once you've voted."    In other words, once you voted and in his mind once you are in there is no going back.    What he didn't suspect was Britain was going to opt out.    So anything now where they plan to try and get us back us into the EU will show more lies from the British corrupt communist government.

37 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Yes Boris put us back to the EEC.    Why?   is it so they can get more foreign people in and on to the land via Dover.  Drip them in slowly so they can vote the way the system wants to get us back on track. Just like how Ireland voted against the EU but miraculously got a second vote and then was happy they got the vote to be in on Europe.    I thought there should be a third vote, that would of been the final vote to make things fair.   Oh yeah, once the plan goes accordingly, then pull the plug and run.  GOT CHA!!!!!

As David cameron said, "this is your last chance, there is no going back once you've voted."    In other words, once you voted and in his mind once you are in there is no going back.    What he didn't suspect was Britain was going to opt out.    So anything now where they plan to try and get us back us into the EU will show more lies from the British corrupt communist government.

So Boris Johnson, who advocated strongly for Brexit, is trying to put the UK back in the EU and, despite being consevative, he is also a the leader of a communist government.

Do you even think about what you write or are you to just to well informed dim to see how stupid it sounds ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Do you even think about what you write or are you to just to well informed dim to see how stupid it sounds ?

Is that a serious question? :lol:

20 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So Boris Johnson, who advocated strongly for Brexit,is trying to put the UK back in the EU and, despite being consevative, he is also a the leader of a communist government.

What is on the surface is not what is going on in the underworld.  Boris was just as sickened that Brexit happened, but his masters will order him to stick with the Communist plan, after all Lucifer = Communism

Yes it sounds daft, ridiculous, PATHETIC!  It sounds like I should be locked up in a mental hospital; however, that is how they controlled government, via Communism which took over Government after WW2.  Control both sides and watch the sheeple vote for both sides believing it will make a difference.

History just repeats because we failed to learn from the previous one.   'Useful idiots' always go first, it's a well known fact in Communist rules. 

4 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

What is on the surface is not what is going on in the underworld.  Boris was just as sickened that Brexit happened, but his masters will order him to stick with the Communist plan, after all Lucifer = Communism

Yes it sounds daft, ridiculous, PATHETIC!  It sounds like I should be locked up in a mental hospital; however, that is how they controlled government, via Communism which took over Government after WW2.  Control both sides and watch the sheeple vote for both sides believing it will make a difference.

History just repeats because we failed to learn from the previous one.   'Useful idiots' always go first, it's a well known fact in Communist rules. 

Homer Simpson The Simpsons GIF - HomerSimpson TheSimpsons Bush GIFs

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Dare I ask, will you be exercising you right to vote in today's elections?

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Dare I ask, will you be exercising you right to vote in today's elections?

Elections are for the people who believe it makes a difference.  Putting an X on a ballot paper means you're a slave because there is no contract with the PERSON you put in charge of a business that doesn't give one toss about your well being.  So I don't vote.

• Haha 1