Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obfuscated Flying Objects (OFOs)

Golden Duck

In my other UFO thread, where I demonstrated how you can capture share information about an object captured on film, I mentioned I wanted to create this thread.

Here is a picture I took when testing my phone.  It reminded me of another famous UFO picture. 

20201101-194027

https://ibb.co/QrK9Qr1

I could see these flares on-screen and could position them how I wanted to some extent.

Edited by Saru
Fixed post
  • Like 2

Cool pic. So the UFO’s were hiding behind the flares? How did your phone get past the flares?? :P

• Haha 3

• 2 years later...

Here's a photo taken in May 2023 at Collaroy Beach, north of Sydney NSW.  I unintentionally caught an OFO following the coastline north.

20230519-145757

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2023 at 2:38 PM, Golden Duck said:

Here's a photo taken in May 2023 at Collaroy Beach, north of Sydney NSW.  I unintentionally caught an OFO following the coastline north.

20230519-145757

Interesting pic GD….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Missed this one at the time, and yes, they are interesting pics..  Have you got anywhere with identification, or am I starting from scratch?  :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Missed this one at the time, and yes, they are interesting pics..  Have you got anywhere with identification, or am I starting from scratch?  :D

HI Chuck,

As the creator of the Golden Duck Standard you must have an idea of what I do not think these are.

The picture from Collaroy Beach is obviously a panoramic shot, with the necessary digital processing.  And we all know how much you love digital processing.

What I neglected to say is that if cropped it, I might have been able to get it past most people's scrutiny.

From memory, I was panning from left to right; and, the red plane that reminded me of a P51 was flying north up the coast line.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

HI Chuck,

As the creator of the Golden Duck Standard you must have an idea of what I do not think these are.

The picture from Collaroy Beach is obviously a panoramic shot, with the necessary digital processing.  And we all know how much you love digital processing.

What I neglected to say is that if cropped it, I might have been able to get it past most people's scrutiny.

..the red plane that reminded me of a P51 was flying north up the coast line.

I was indeed going to say that it looked like a distorted stunt or racing plane.  I'll take that as correct. :)  It's the other pic that puzzles me - was there any pano processing or anything else that might have made those 'lens flares' not act like normal flares?  I'm intrigued as to their source...  Gotta run, might be a while before I get back to this one..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

HI Chuck,

From memory, I was panning from left to right; and, the red plane that reminded me of a P51 was flying north up the coast line.

Hey GD I thought it was a plane of some kind was it the panoramic shot that gave it this image ….photography not my thing …I’m kinda point and shoot…..with a camera of course..😀

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 5:04 PM, Shadowsfall said:

Hey GD I thought it was a plane of some kind was it the panoramic shot that gave it this image ….photography not my thing …I’m kinda point and shoot…..with a camera of course..😀

On behalf of GD.. Yep.  :D  No doubt he'll correct me if necessary!

To get a panorama, the software will normally use several shots taken in quick sequence, and then stitch them together as best it can, creating join seams that run vertically thru the image.  Problem is that between shots, some things move ..  and thus those joins often have 'issues'...  Also, the further from the centre of each frame, the more distortion there is (think 'fish-eye'), which makes it even worse.  Hence the 'mangled' aeroplane in this case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

On behalf of GD.. Yep.  :D  No doubt he'll correct me if necessary!

To get a panorama, the software will normally use several shots taken in quick sequence, and then stitch them together as best it can, creating join seams that run vertically thru the image.  Problem is that between shots, some things move ..  and thus those joins often have 'issues'...  Also, the further from the centre of each frame, the more distortion there is (think 'fish-eye'), which makes it even worse.  Hence the 'mangled' aeroplane in this case.

Thought so thanks ChrLzs your explanation makes sense amazing how the camera can fool the eye…

• Like 1

And just to prove I have some experience in panoramas.. here's a (non UFO) image of my nearest city:

gallery_95887_13_8803.jpg

Click (and then click again) for a somewhat larger version, although that's still at about 1/3 of the actual size..

IIRC, that stitched panorama has about 4 joins, where I've manually fixed any issues (aka "faked it").  If you can spot any of them, you are now a certified image expert!

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 4:05 PM, ChrLzs said:

I was indeed going to say that it looked like a distorted stunt or racing plane.  I'll take that as correct. :)  It's the other pic that puzzles me - was there any pano processing or anything else that might have made those 'lens flares' not act like normal flares?  I'm intrigued as to their source...  Gotta run, might be a while before I get back to this one..

The first pic is towards Queensland Cruising Yacht Club, with the VMR in the foreground, taken from the same phone camera.

Like I said I could see the lens flares on screen.  Perhaps the 'tails' could be from shaking hands.

It may have been in night mode.

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Like I said I could see the lens flares on screen.

And I got the impression you could, by moving the camera, make them move around?  That is a very strong pointer to an internal lens flare, but usually such clear and pointlike flares would be geometrically symmetrical/ mirrored/ reversed and thus able to be tracked back to the source lights in the actual scene ... but these don't seem to be.  I suspect I'm missing something - is this the full original image, uncropped?  Were there other bright lights just outside the frame?

On 10/28/2023 at 12:38 AM, Golden Duck said:

20230519-145757

Clearly