Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Young Americans Sentenced To Life For Killing Of Cop In Rome

susieice

Somewhere in here are threads where we discussed this case when it happened but I can't get the search engine to work to find it. They were 18 and 19 when the murder over a bad drug deal took place in 2019. They were both given life in prison.

https://abc7ny.com/10588181/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0JLXzCHe34CaGSe1hOYeWp9RBFTEOh2-2fFIkPl51OcL3xg8bXX4cwGnY

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 4

Ok. Found them.

• Like 2

That's a very interesting case. I hadn't heard about it before.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

That's a very interesting case. I hadn't heard about it before.

The one boy's father was very arrogant when the murder took place and his son was arrested. The other boy's father felt his son should be released because he didn't actually stab the officer. Now both will spend life in a foreign prison.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

The one boy's father was very arrogant when the murder took place and his son was arrested. The other boy's father felt his son should be released because he didn't actually stab the officer. Now both will spend life in a foreign prison.

I know this isn't a very rational(or 'pc'!), thing to say, but I really didn't like the look of the one who did the stabbing. He looks like a nasty piece of work, and now you mention how arrogant his father was . . . . 'the apple doesn't fall far frrom the tree' as they say. For crying out loud, Elder made the decision to take a large knife on holiday with him. Who does that? Also, how did he get it through customs? He was looking for trouble from the get go.

Plus, why did he ask his friend to hide the knife? Elder was the one who used it then cleaned it before giving it to his friend to hide. So, whose fingerprints would be the only ones on the knife? Some 'friend'!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I know this isn't a very rational(or 'pc'!), thing to say, but I really didn't like the look of the one who did the stabbing. He looks like a nasty piece of work, and now you mention how arrogant his father was . . . . 'the apple doesn't fall far frrom the tree' as they say. For crying out loud, Elder made the decision to take a large knife on holiday with him. Who does that? Also, how did he get it through customs? He was looking for trouble from the get go.

Plus, why did he ask his friend to hide the knife? Elder was the one who used it then cleaned it before giving it to his friend to hide. So, whose fingerprints would be the only ones on the knife? Some 'friend'!

Yep, and that's what probably put the other kid in jail for life even though he didn't stab anyone. His willingness to help conceal the weapon.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Elder came from a very well to do family. He had a serious assault charge against him while he was still in high school here in the US. Daddy's money and connections didn't help him one bit there. I have no idea how he got that knife into a US airport much less through customs in Rome. Since 9/11, everything goes through a metal detector and is x-rayed. That was a big knife that couldn't be missed.

• Like 5

They stepped out of the light into the darkness of night, one too many times and it consumed them.

• Like 3

Sooooo 2 individuals were engaged in illegal activities,  then one committed the murder of a Law Enforcement member, they were arrested, charged, and then convicted.  

What is the issue exactly?

In the U.S., if several people participate in a crime ( let's say, robbing a bank ), and ONE person on the group causes a death , then ALL of the participants can, and WILL be charged with murder.  I will presume that Italy (and other countries) have similar statutes.

If two Italian nationals committed the same offense in the U.S., you would expect them to face Justice, yes?

Or are you just outraged that Muricans actually have to obey the laws in foreign nations?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Sooooo 2 individuals were engaged in illegal activities,  then one committed the murder of a Law Enforcement member, they were arrested, charged, and then convicted.  

What is the issue exactly?

In the U.S., if several people participate in a crime ( let's say, robbing a bank ), and ONE person on the group causes a death , then ALL of the participants can, and WILL be charged with murder.  I will presume that Italy (and other countries) have similar statutes.

If two Italian nationals committed the same offense in the U.S., you would expect them to face Justice, yes?

Or are you just outraged that Muricans actually have to obey the laws in foreign nations?

Who's outraged? They got what they deserved. I don't see where anyone in here said anything differently. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, susieice said:

I have no idea how he got that knife into a US airport much less through customs in Rome. Since 9/11, everything goes through a metal detector and is x-rayed. That was a big knife that couldn't be missed.

Maybe the attacker bought the knife in Italy.

Its forbidden to transport knives in the onboard luggage but its not generally forbidden to transport them in the checked baggage. For the import into foreign countries, local laws apply. Example, you can bring some types of knives legally into Germany but Balisongs, Butterflys, automatic knives and knives with blade lengths >8.5 cm or if the blade consists of more than one sharp edge, are strictly forbidden.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toast said:

Maybe the attacker bought the knife in Italy.

Its forbidden to transport knives in the onboard luggage but its not generally forbidden to transport them in the checked baggage. For the import into foreign countries, local laws apply. Example, you can bring some types of knives legally into Germany but Balisongs, Butterflys, automatic knives and knives with blade lengths >8.5 cm or if the blade consists of more than one sharp edge, are strictly forbidden.

The articles in the thread from the time their arrests occurred said that the Italian Police said Elder brought the knife along with him from the US. He must have had it in his checked baggage then and it made it through Italian customs. I guess police could check whatever process Italy put the luggage through when the boys arrived. This article also includes the story of the boy Elder attacked and put into a coma while in high school in California. I don't know if the Italian court system could bring this up as a prior offense to show character or not. I would think they could, but from the evidence they had, I don't think they really needed to. They were caught with all the evidence and the boys admitted to what they did.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/europe/finnegan-lee-elder-charges-california-intl/index.html

While both teens admitted to the assault, according to police, only Elder is accused of stabbing Rega 11 times with a seven-inch knife which officers say he brought from the US to Italy.

There was a picture of Elder posing with a knife in the US. It doesn't really say if it was that specific knife or one like it. From the Italian reaction, it may well have been.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/italy-murder-gabriel-hatale-hjorth-son-didnt-know-friend-finnegan-elder-was-armed-father-says/

Police say Elder stabbed the officer with a 7-inch long, military-grade knife which he brought to Italy from the U.S. A photo apparently posted on social media and widely circulated shows Elder posing with a knife. Both teenagers had been drinking on the night of the killing, according to police, and at least one had also been doing drugs.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, susieice said:

Who's outraged? They got what they deserved. I don't see where anyone in here said anything differently. 

I guess I presumed that outrage was the outcome of your post, since you posted the article without commentary.

I apologize for misjudging your position. :)

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 12:23 PM, susieice said:

Poor little rich kids.

• Like 1

The stabber claimed he didn't realize the man was a cop and that thought he was being attacked...and stabbed him  (11 times) in 'self defense'.      ???????????

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I guess I presumed that outrage was the outcome of your post, since you posted the article without commentary.

I apologize for misjudging your position. :)

No need for an apology. You voiced your opinion and I agree with it. When you go into another country and commit a crime, you are subject to the laws of that country and there isn't much the embassy can do for you. They'll notify your family and maybe help you obtain legal council. As I understand, they send you a care package every month while you're in jail. But, be ready to serve the time.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, lightly said:

The stabber claimed he didn't realize the man was a cop and that thought he was being attacked...and stabbed him  (11 times) in 'self defense'.      ???????????

Ya really lol  :P

they got what they deserve. let them rot. we don't want them back here.

• Like 1