Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Brandy333

Ceiling Fan Came On By Itself

63 posts in this topic

Brandy333
Posted (edited)

Well here is something else mysterious that happened to me early this morning in my   apartment.   I had a lady coming to help me out with things but she quit, and now there is a new one that has been coming here a little over a week.   Wednesday she asked for the ceiling fan to be turned on and I told her yes she could turn it on.   However, before she left I had her turn it  off.   She comes M-W-F, and I know that since she left Wed. and before she got back this morning I had not turned it on. I like to get up early before this lady gets here and do a few personal things, and it was during this time I noticed the fan was on.  I said to myself "I didn't turn the fan on".   And yes, it had definitely been off.   So I went on into the kitchen and upon return to the dining area, where I can see the living room, I thought I saw a black orb against the wall.   Could have been my eyes, but I thought it was an orb or something.   I've called upon the name of Jesus many times, and I just said "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus", and it slowly faded away not to be seen again.

If it was not a spirit how did that fan come on?

Edited by Brandy333
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Desertrat56
8 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

Well here is something else mysterious that happened to me early this morning in my   apartment.   I had a lady coming to help me out with things but she quit, and now there is a new one that has been coming here a little over a week.   Wednesday she asked for the ceiling fan to be turned on and I told her yes she could turn it on.   However, before she left I had her turn it  off.   She comes M-W-F, and I know that since she left Wed. and before she got back this morning I had not turned it on. I like to get up early before this lady gets here and do a few personal things, and it was during this time I noticed the fan was on.  I said to myself "I didn't turn the fan on".   And yes, it had definitely been off.   So I went on into the kitchen and upon return to the dining area, where I can see the living room, I thought I saw a black orb against the wall.   Could have been my eyes, but I thought it was an orb or something.   I've called upon the name of Jesus many times, and I just said "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus", and it slowly faded away not to be seen again.

Does your fan have a remote or do you have to pull a chain or turn a switch on?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

zep73
3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Sounds like a broken switch. I'd definitely call an electrician.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

papageorge1
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

Well here is something else mysterious that happened to me early this morning in my   apartment.   

From that sentence it seems you are saying there has been a series of mysterious events. In my thinking this increases the chance that you have paranormal activity going on. Perhaps you can briefly refresh our memories. Active phenomena is not usually one and done.

As another poster asked, how is the fan normally turned on and off? Of course you need to consider normal possibilities first.

31 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

I thought I saw a black orb against the wall.   Could have been my eyes, but I thought it was an orb or something.   I've called upon the name of Jesus many times, and I just said "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus", and it slowly faded away not to be seen again.

It seems you are assuming this is a negative entity. You may be right, but why are you thinking that?

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2

Brandy333
13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

No remote, does have a pull chain and switch.   However, I'm not sure if I had turned on the switch for the light in the living room yet, which also controls the fan.  But even if I had flipped the switch the fan was off.   I guess there's the possibility when the lady pulled the chain it didn't completely turn off the fan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brandy333
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It seems you are assuming this is a negative entity. You may be right, but why are you thinking that?

I don't know for sure, it just looked kind of eerie.   It didn't dawn on me when I first noticed the fan on, but I heard the sound when someone pulls on the chain to turn it on or off.   It's a lightweight chain with a light wooden handle on the end, not heavy enough to pull the fan on if it slipped down.

Edited by Brandy333
  • Thanks 1

papageorge1
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

No remote, does have a pull chain and switch.   However, I'm not sure if I had turned on the switch for the light in the living room yet, which also controls the fan.  But even if I had flipped the switch the fan was off.   I guess there's the possibility when the lady pulled the chain it didn't completely turn off the fan.

Not to dismiss natural explanations of course but never in my life do I recall having electrical devices turn on by themselves by way of faulty switches. Turning off by themselves, yes. 

And it seems to me I hear this turning on fairly often by people that are reporting other paranormally suspicious things. 

Skeptics insisting on natural explanations can be right sometimes but I have to be skeptical of the skeptics too.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brandy333
Posted (edited)

A few years ago one of the other residents of this apt. building told me she was living in the apt. that had been occupied by another woman who had passed.   She told me occasionally she saw that woman's spirit on the grounds.   Then when I was in the hosp. once I had someone come to the apt. to get me some fresh clothes, and she was alone in here.  Later she told me though she knew she was not alone, but she didn't get the feeling the spirit was bad or wanted to hurt anyone.

Now something else weird that happened several weeks ago was this.  I was about to go to bed, had turned off my computer and light when I noticed my clock radio was off.  I'm using one of those outfits that's white and you can plug several plugs into it.  My clock radio is one, and so is the modem for my computer.  So I get out of bed, turn on the light to check things and get my clock going again, and found the switch on the multi-prong outlet had been turned off, and I didn't turn it off.   After I got it switched back on, everything else came back on.

Edited by Brandy333

Desertrat56
18 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Not to dismiss natural explanations of course but never in my life do I recall having electrical devices turn on by themselves by way of faulty switches. Turning off by themselves, yes. 

And it seems to me I hear this turning on fairly often by people that are reporting other paranormally suspicious things. 

Skeptics insisting on natural explanations can be right sometimes but I have to be skeptical of the skeptics too.

I have a light that turns itself on when the power goes back on after being off.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

papageorge1
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

I heard the sound when someone pulls on the chain to turn it on or off.   

Important information.

OK, time to Papameter

Paranormal  55%     Normal 45%

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Manwon Lender
39 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Important information.

OK, time to Papameter

Paranormal  55%     Normal 45%

I have been waiting for this my friend, seriously Papa you just made my day!!:tsu:

acute
2 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

Ceiling Fan Came On By Itself.

How is the fan turned on?

Is it a switch on the wall, or a pull-cord on the fan?

Brandy333
15 minutes ago, acute said:

How is the fan turned on?

Is it a switch on the wall, or a pull-cord on the fan?

Both.

• Like 1

acute
4 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

Both.

Can you switch the fan off at the wall, if it's been switched on by the cord?

Brandy333
2 minutes ago, acute said:

7 minutes ago, acute said:

Yes the fan can be switched off at the wall.  The switch that also operates the light must be on for the fan to work, so I had to have switched on the light but know I didn't pull the chain for the fan.   

• Like 1

acute

Does the light switch need to be on, for you to activate the fan with the pull-chain?

Brandy333
10 minutes ago, acute said:

Does the light switch need to be on, for you to activate the fan with the pull-chain?

Yes.

• Like 1

Brandy333

Well this morning I switched on the light for the living room and the fan did not come on.   I also did not see any dark things on the wall.

fred_mc

Sounds like an electrical problem. I used to have a fridge where the compressor got stuck to be on all the time. It got to be almost -30 C. It didn't help to turn off the switch, it only turned off the light in the fridge, the compressor was still on. I had to turn off the fuse to the fridge to make the compressor stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the13bats
On 5/7/2021 at 5:07 PM, Brandy333 said:

On 5/7/2021 at 5:12 PM, Brandy333 said:

I don't know for sure, it just looked kind of eerie.   It didn't dawn on me when I first noticed the fan on, but I heard the sound when someone pulls on the chain to turn it on or off.   It's a lightweight chain with a light wooden handle on the end, not heavy enough to pull the fan on if it slipped down.

Brandy im not picking on you just discussing this experence as you see above by your own admission memory can and is a faulty thing also from past posts from you i have learned you do seem to be a believer of superstitious type stuff.

When we moved in a cheap rusty ceiling fan was on our porch, it had the basic 3 speeds however it was controlled by a wall mounted controller it did run,  i didnt trust any of it but was lazy to pull it down.

One day we come in and its going i check the wall control it on off but turning the dial showed it had a short and it was coming on and off so i pulled it down,

The pull chain switches in fans are not very heavy duty and do wear out in odd ways

OIP.mzWSaoFaLxb4KzIwrwU3swHaHa?w=190&h=1

Contrary to pappas experences i have ran into several bad pull switches that would come on or off by themselves just from a bit of a jarring to the room a person would likely miss,

in your case either you forgot where you had left one of 2 possible switches set or its a bad switch you need to get the apt super to check it as it can be an electrical fire hazard.

After you get it checked as a precautionary measure if you want to believe a spookie flipped your light switch thats cool but a shame it didnt use the same efforts to just write you a note as to what they desire of you.

• Like 1

Brandy333

I appreciate your response, and you and others could be right in that it's a faulty switch.   Probably when that lady pulled the chain to turn the fan off it didn't catch completely.   It hasn't happened again.   

• Like 1

XenoFish
On 5/7/2021 at 4:35 PM, Brandy333 said:

Do you think that you might have unconsciously turned it on? Considering you knew the lady would be there, you might have switched it on without thinking about it.

Brandy333
6 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Do you think that you might have unconsciously turned it on? Considering you knew the lady would be there, you might have switched it on without thinking about it.

I don't think so, since for the past several years for some reason my body temp tends to run a little lower down in the 97 point something range, therefore with these cool early mornings I would not have turned on the fan even not thinking about it.   In my mind I've tried to consider if I had turned it on, but so far can't recollect it.

papageorge1
39 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

I don't think so, since for the past several years for some reason my body temp tends to run a little lower down in the 97 point something range, therefore with these cool early mornings I would not have turned on the fan even not thinking about it.   In my mind I've tried to consider if I had turned it on, but so far can't recollect it.

You should consider natural explanations first but don't feel pressured to accept them when they don't seem to fit The place has a history of alleged phenomena and remember:

On 5/7/2021 at 5:12 PM, Brandy333 said:

It didn't dawn on me when I first noticed the fan on, but I heard the sound when someone pulls on the chain to turn it on or off.   It's a lightweight chain with a light wooden handle on the end, not heavy enough to pull the fan on if it slipped down.

Are you saying that before noticing the fan mysteriously on you remember hearing it physically pulled?

Brandy333
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

You should consider natural explanations first but don't feel pressured to accept them when they don't seem to fit The place has a history of alleged phenomena and remember:

Are you saying that before noticing the fan mysteriously on you remember hearing it physically pulled?

Well I think so.  At the time early that morning I was trying to get a few things done before the lady who assists me got here, and I believe I did hear it.   

• Thanks 1