Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can vaccinated people shed the COVID-19 virus?

Katniss

Question

Since mid April a rumor has been spreading on social media that people who get the vaccine can shed the virus and give it to others. So can vaccinated people shed the COVID-19 virus?

• Like 2

9 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Katniss said:

Oh sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. I though you meant getting infected and shedding the virus.

No you can't shed the virus from the vaccine alone lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It takes two weeks, from the vaccination, till you're partly or fully immune. In the meantime you can catch and spread the virus, if the circumstances are "right".

In rare cases the vaccine does nothing, and you're not immune at all.

The safest thing to do is act as if you're not vaccinated, until two weeks after the last jab.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would have to find it again. But one study of Vaccinated healthcare workers they tested periodically and found that it was pretty rare to shed the virus. 

Another study recently found that those who do get sick, the "breakthrough infections" shed of course, but shed at a rate of like 4x less than those who get sick not vaccinated.

So it can happen, but it's rare. And if it does happen it's less shedding than normal

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Oh sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. I though you meant getting infected and shedding the virus.

No you can't shed the virus from the vaccine alone lol.

That's okay. My question probably wasn't clear enough. But I'm glad answering my own question gave you a little more clarity. :D

• Like 2

You are highly unlikely to catch Covid-19 from a person who was vaccinated 2 or 3 (or more) weeks before.

25 minutes ago, Katniss said:

That's okay. My question probably wasn't clear enough. But I'm glad answering my own question gave you a little more clarity. :D

I had the same problem with the word "shed", I initially thought you  meant getting the vaccine when you have the virus would get rid of the virus.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, acute said:

You are highly unlikely to catch Covid-19 from a person who was vaccinated 2 or 3 (or more) weeks before.

At first, I was skeptical of the new orders segregating "vaxxed" from "unvaxxed" people at stadium events, but until we know more about risks posed by those who have received injections to those who haven't, segregation is probably a good idea.

• Like 1