Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dream psychologist reveals why we have nightmares about being chased

Still Waters

Many of us will have had a nightmare where we are being chased by a faceless figure (or figures). If so, you'll know it's bloody terrifying.

But dream psychologist dream psychologist says that there is more to it than simply being a 'bad dream' - a notion he doesn't subscribe to.

Speaking to LADbible, Ian says that although this particular dream can feel a bit scary, it's about regaining some control in your life.

He tells us: "The most common dream from all around the world, and continues to be, and as far as we know it has been, according to cave paintings, for about 30,000 years, is being chased.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-why-we-dream-about-being-chased-20210503

• Like 2

Personally, I don't recall ever having a dream about being chased.   I'm usually alone in my dreams.  I have a lot of bizarre, irritatingly nonsensical dreams.   Last night I was mixing paint !   :huh:.  

• Haha 3

i didn't see how he made the relationship that cave paintings were related to being representations of dreams.

jmccr8

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

i didn't see how he made the relationship that cave paintings were related to being representations of dreams.

Ian apparently knows many, many things.

https://ianwallacedreams.com/

There is a theory that a certain category of cave or rock art, the kind where the image is partially obscured by a field of "dots," represents a dream image or vision, or perhaps a scene from other plane of existence. Here is an example discussion, with some illustrations:

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0752/2/4/476/htm

What sources Ian may have used for a widespread "being chased" motif I have no idea.

I don't see anything in the OP that rises above the level of purely personal opinion. That's peachy if Ian were a member and we could discuss his claims and hypotheses, but all the OP really comes to is an advertisement for Ian's line of books and other media ventures. No offense meant, SW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Agreed, I'm not an expert on them but I've never seen a cave painting that clearly shows humans being 'chased'.  I'm surprised/skeptical that this is the most common kind of dream but maybe it is, although I honestly can't think of a single one I've had.

• Like 2

I've had dreams of being chased a few times that I can recall. They all happened when I was younger though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eight bits said:

Ian apparently knows many, many things.

https://ianwallacedreams.com/

There is a theory that a certain category of cave or rock art, the kind where the image is partially obscured by a field of "dots," represents a dream image or vision, or perhaps a scene from other plane of existence. Here is an example discussion, with some illustrations:

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0752/2/4/476/htm

What sources Ian may have used for a widespread "being chased" motif I have no idea.

I don't see anything in the OP that rises above the level of purely personal opinion. That's peachy if Ian were a member and we could discuss his claims and hypotheses, but all the OP really comes to is an advertisement for Ian's line of books and other media ventures. No offense meant, SW.

Hi Eight Bits

Thanks I will read up on him when I finish work for the day and using my computer. Pretty sure they ran from real threats when they were awake though considering the times and conditions.:lol:

jmccr8

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Agreed, I'm not an expert on them but I've never seen a cave painting that clearly shows humans being 'chased'.  I'm surprised/skeptical that this is the most common kind of dream but maybe it is, although I honestly can't think of a single one I've had.

Hi Liquid Gardens

Oddly enough I did have one dream where I was being chased by Kojack many years ago he wanted to question me about my brother and a shooting. My brother wore coke bottle glasses and couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with a tractor never mind shooting at someone. We were working at a hotel in Banff and Kojac was chasing me though a cave in a mountain and I ended up falling off the mountain but before I hit the ground I decided I could fly so got away unscathed.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BS. Could be many reasons for dreaming that. Maybe you are just paranoid about being chased, or feel like you are in danger for some reason. There is no single reason for dreaming anything.

Dream analysis that applies to everyone equally is such a crock.

Edited by moonman

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2021 at 8:35 AM, Robotic Jew said:

I've had dreams of being chased a few times that I can recall. They all happened when I was younger though. 

When I was younger I had dreams of being chased and I knew I would be safe if I could get home, but there was no way to get home so I would run to a specific corner and hide "behind" a light pole that somehow I could slip through into a shadow place and hide.  I would slip into that dark space that was not in the same space as the street light then I would peek out carefully and watch to see when the pursuer would leave, then I would slip out and go home.   Those are the only dreams I remember of being chased.

Edited by Desertrat56

• 2 weeks later...

I have had and still have a dream where I chase people on all fours and covered in furr, growling at the same time.

Does that count?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2