Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Remains of nine Neanderthals unearthed in Italian cave

Grim Reaper 6

Archaeologists in Italy have discovered the remains of nine Neanderthals who may have been hunted by hyenas, in a prehistoric cave south-east of Rome. Eight sets of remains date from between 50,000 and 68,000 years ago, while one set, the oldest could be 90,000 or 100,000 years old, Italy's culture ministry said. Mario Rolfo, a professor of archaeology at Tor Vergata University, said most of the Neanderthals had been killed by hyenas and dragged back to their cave den as food.

Neanderthal remains unearthed in Italian cave (msn.com)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

'dragged'

They're apparently thought not intelligent enough to 'carry'

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How are hyenas supposed to carry prey larger than themselves?  I think you have misread who was doing the dragging.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

How are hyenas supposed to carry prey larger than themselves?  I think you have misread who was doing the dragging.

Unless hyenas back then learned customs and manners differently from the hyenas nowadays, which we know doesn't "drag" They swallow and regurgitate if they have young to feed, if they have to move or secure a feeding, they carry... 

Dragging not only slows them down, it leaves a trail back to the den. 

~

• Thanks 3

• The title was changed to Remains of nine Neanderthals unearthed in Italian cave, may have been hunted by hyenas
3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Unless hyenas back then learned customs and manners differently from the hyenas nowadays, which we know doesn't "drag" They swallow and regurgitate if they have young to feed, if they have to move or secure a feeding, they carry... 

Dragging not only slows them down, it leaves a trail back to the den. 

~

The entire situation seems strange to me, Neanderthals where not small Hominids. Their average weigh was close to 172 lbs for males and 145 lb females https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/

There were 9 sets of remain found in the cave, can you imagine the difficulty Hyenas would have moving bodies that size to their den. Maybe, it's just me but it seems like a difficult task.

Peace man

28 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

There were 9 sets of remain found in the cave, can you imagine the difficulty Hyenas would have moving bodies that size to their den. Maybe, it's just me but it seems like a difficult task.

I believe ancient hyenas are larger than those currently roaming around today... 

You may underestimate hyena as an animal that only feeds on leftover by other animals. The truth is, most time, they find food themselves by hunting. They have exceptionally powerful jaws. Their bite force measured at 1100 pounds per square inch (psi), which is more powerful than lions and tigers.

~

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I believe ancient hyenas are larger than those currently roaming around today... 

~

Yea I think your right, I never thought about that.

Take Care..

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Remains of nine Neanderthals unearthed in Italian cave