Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Student who stood up to Hitler and inspires Germany

Grim Reaper 6

This weekend many will commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of a young woman ( Sophie Scholl ) who famously stood up to Adolf Hitler and paid for it with her life. The "White Rose" group, was originally founded by Sophie's brother Hans Scholl and his friend Alexander Schmorell. On 18 February 1943 Hans and Sophie were handing out the leaflets at the university.

It's not clear why Sophie climbed to the top-floor landing that overlooked the airy atrium of the university's main building and flung a stack of pamphlets over the balustrade. But, as the papers fluttered down to the ground, she was watched by a caretaker who betrayed her to the Gestapo - the secret police. On the morning that she went to the guillotine, Sophie, aged 21, said: "Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go... What does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

Student who stood up to Hitler and inspires Germany (msn.com)

• Like 8

"guillotine"

?

Her history is dramatic enough, no need for such melodrama...

~

• Like 2

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

There ought to be... 

~

Well its a painless death, there are certainly worst ways to die!!:(

54 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's not the point, the Nazi Party used her execution as political mileage, doing the same for political profit amounts to the same disrespect of her tragic end. 

~

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, third_eye said:

That's not the point, the Nazi Party used her execution as political mileage, doing the same for political profit amounts to the same disrespect of her tragic end. 

~

Well, it's the only point that matters to me, because it's tragic enough they she was murdered. But, if She had been tortured to death it would have been more terrible. Sadly, there is nothing that could have been done about her death. But, by putting myself in her position I would want the fastest and most painless death possible under the circumstances .

As far as a political mileage, I am certain she did not careless.

JIMO

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

As far as a political mileage, I am certain she did not careless.

I'm sure Sophie cared a lot more than you... 

[00.02:16]

~

• Like 2

Thanks for the video, it looks like a good movie. To be honest I had never heard of her, before I found the article  for this thread this morning. After I started this thread today I looked up her story online, and it's very apparent she was a very brave and patriotic young women. But, that's doesn't change my feelings about death in general, a quick painless death is always preferable to a long agonizing death. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks for the video, it looks like a good movie.

Hate to say it but the book is the better bet... 

~

Couldn't get a copy myself but I got a loaned read from a pal of mine who worked at the British Council Malaysia...

~

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Hate to say it but the book is the better bet... 

~

Couldn't get a copy myself but I got a loaned read from a pal of mine who worked at the British Council Malaysia...

~

I think I would enjoy reading the book myself, the book is for sale on Amazon.com. I am going to have to order a copy. 

Amazon.com : Book about : Sophie Scholl 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am going to have to order a copy. 

I don't see it on your link... This is the one I was mentioning... 

Sophie Scholl: The Real Story Behind German's Resistance Heroine

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=9780752446752

~

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I don't see it on your link... This is the one I was mentioning... 

~

There must be a number of books written about her, I try and located a copy of the one you were reading.

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

You're right! The last time I was beheaded I didn't feel a thing!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

There must be a number of books written about her, I try and located a copy of the one you were reading.

Don't get those sensationalist melodramatic fictionalized novels based on her "life story". If you can't find a copy to buy, try the libraries... 

~

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

You're right! The last time I was beheaded I didn't feel a thing!

Beheading is the ultimate insult to Sophie and what she represents, as part of the elite society and "pure" Aryan blood. That's the whole motivation behind the sentencing when it could easily have been hanging or facing the firing squad instead. 

~

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Beheading is the ultimate insult to Sophie and what she represents, as part of the elite society and "pure" Aryan blood. That's the whole motivation behind the sentencing when it could easily have been hanging or facing the firing squad instead. 

~

Why are you preoccupied about the way she was murdered?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Why are you preoccupied about the way she was murdered?

"accuracy"

It's symbolic, the real reason behind the Nazi motivation to sentence Sophie as such. 

~

• Like 1

She was a brave girl. History often takes many people doing brave things to make changes. 

49 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

Just in case you missed it: my former post was me trying to be sarcastic about ML's remark that beheading is a painless death. How the hell does he know? Do the heads all carry a smile when they drop into the basket??

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

Just in case you missed it: my former post was me trying to be sarcastic about ML's remark that beheading is a painless death. How the hell does he know? Do the heads all carry a smile when they drop into the basket??

I didn't miss, I just didn't want to dwell on it... 

~

• Like 3

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

Don't get those sensationalist melodramatic fictionalized novels based on her "life story". If you can't find a copy to buy, try the libraries... 

~

I will take your advise about that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Oh come on, I thought you serious! actually I am sorry if my comments offended you of anyone else. But, it's a known fact that using a guilotine is pretty painless. When the head is servered all pain below the neck ends because of the bisection of the spinal cord. Then shock from having their head removed effective shuts down the brain, so there really is no suffering.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB1glhPz?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

Edited by Manwon Lender