Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iraq plans to relaunch religious tourism in Ur, other ancient sites

Grim Reaper 6

The Iraqi government is seeking international assistance to help it develop some of the Middle Eastern country's ancient sites, including the biblical city of Ur, into tourist destinations. The spokesman for Iraqi foreign minister Fuad Mohammed Hussein on May 3 announced plans to develop Ur into a religious tourist site, according to the Fides news agency. The government plans to involve foreign companies and businesses in developing infrastructures that can accommodate visitors and pilgrims at historic and archeologically important sites.

Iraq plans to relaunch religious tourism in Ur, other ancient sites (la-croix.com)

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sounds okay. I walked the Via Dolorosa and visited the Tomb decades ago, even though I'm atheist, I found it interesting and it raises money for whatever they do.

It will probably take a long time to build enough security for average people to want to risk death and 100+ degree heat to visit the place.  Saddam began rebuilding some of the ancient sites but I think the war put a kink in his plans.

On 5/9/2021 at 6:14 AM, Manwon Lender said:

The spokesman for Iraqi foreign minister Fuad Mohammed Hussein on May 3 announced plans to develop Ur into a religious tourist site, according to the Fides news agency. 

Interesting especially in a Muslim country to call a city that worshipped multiple pre-Abrahamic gods a religious site.  its going to take a lot of white washing on those mud bricks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Interesting especially in a Muslim country to call a city that worshipped multiple pre-Abrahamic gods a religious site.  its going to take a lot of white washing on those mud bricks.

Yes I known what you mean, but when you consider that Ur may have been Abrahams birth place it may not be that difficult.

Take Care my friend 

• Like 1