Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious message-in-a-bottle believed to be from a passenger on board the Titanic

Still Waters

A team of experts are trying to make sense of a mysterious letter that washed up on a beach in Canada - the message believed to be from a young passenger on board the Titanic in 1912.

Researchers at the University of Quebec at Rimouski (UQAR) say a family in New Brunswick found a message in a bottle on Hopewell Rocks beach, in the Bay of Fundy, back in 2017.

They then gave it to the university to examine it, with a recent press release saying a 'multidisciplinary team' are currently working on finding answers.

The letter is dated 13 April 1912 - the day before the Titanic sank - and is signed by a 13-year-old girl called Mathilde Lefebvre.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-mysterious-message-from-young-titanic-passenger-baffles-experts-20210508

https://www.uqar.ca/nouvelles/uqar-info/3666-une-equipe-de-l-uqar-s-interesse-a-une-lettre-qui-proviendrait-du-titanic

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Mysterious message-in-a-bottle believed to be from a passenger on board the Titanic

Thousands of ships have crossed the Atlantic and by some miracle the only bottle to wash ashore came from the Titanic.  Nice story, but I doubt it is real.  In the decades that followed the sinking there were reports of Titanic wreckage and bottles washing ashore and none of them turned out to be real.  Each generation seems to add to the tales of the Titanic.  When I was a kid and I heard about the Titanic I thought about putting a message in a bottle (who hasn't).  I'm sure it was done by kids as far back as 1912.  Another problem is that the Gulf stream had pushed the sea currents and floating wreckage towards the East, not West, so any wreckage that was found would have drifted towards Europe, not Canada.  It would also not take much time for the air pressure inside the bottle to decrease and the bottle would sink long before it could circle around and somehow drifted against the current and wash ashore to Canada.  Just a nice story to keep people interested in the Titanic.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im with tiger on this one,

While my bottles and paper wasnt period correct i admit that during the time in the 80s a few friends and myself tossed out bottles we did a few fake ones,

With all the interest in the titanic the last few decades i imagine it wouldnt be hard to find a name of a passenger and my yard is full of 100yo bottles, its not hard to hoax, fooling experts that would be the hurdle.

I also see the group investigating this bottle are being very careful not to be taken in and duped,

• Thanks 1

Imagine a bottle with a message inside bobbing in the Atlantic Ocean for 105 years--and the bottle didn't break, sink, and the message didn't totally fad or be destroyed . . .    No way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, the13bats said:

While my bottles and paper wasnt period correct i admit that during the time in the 80s a few friends and myself tossed out bottles we did a few fake ones,

The bottle wasn't oxidized like the ones you find on the beach. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Piney said:

The bottle wasn't oxidized like the ones you find on the beach. 

You mean "sick glass"? Depends on the conditions. Sand drains fairly quickly so if it was thrown at or above the strand line it might've stayed relatively dry. Don't know what happens in open water. It certainly doesn't look scoured so it wasn't rolling around in the surf for a long time but that's consistent with a recent beaching or a storm deposit.

• Thanks 2