Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oregon hiker films alleged 'Bigfoot' in woods

UM-Bot

"No way its a stump its to tall" .............. ok then lets call it a tall stump or half a tree or even another blurry thing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt221 said:

"No way its a stump its to tall" .............. ok then lets call it a tall stump or half a tree or even another blurry thing

He seems to think stumps only come in certain sizes, and are always man made.  Another reason to doubt this "adventurer's" CV.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 3:24 AM, Hammerclaw said:

I think I'll film the morning star for a minute or two, just hanging there, motionless, then claim its a flying saucer. Maybe MUFON will pin a medal on me.

you'd be surprised just how tough it is logging a story with MUFON. they do not take anyone's word for anything. they research it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

you'd be surprised just how tough it is logging a story with MUFON. they do not take anyone's word for anything. they research it.

Utter and complete departure from how the true believers here go at it.

How dare MUFON ask for evidence or proof to support claims.

;)

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Maybe so, but BUFORA makes them look like starry-eyed dreamers.

6 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I was a Mufon “researcher” for 15 years. I had about 12 cases///: you are correct. We went in doubting everything. A lot of us were current military with top secret clearances WITH ACCESS to military tech knowledge and we doubted even more. And I was the softy. People that think mufon cases are a joke are kidding themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok I have one story.  You can judge for yourself.

I shared dinner with a guy from a hot-shot fire crew, I knew his parents.

His crew had been  on a fire near Mt. Shasta.  He was clearing brush from a fire line. He stopped to answer a the call of nature.  When he looked around he saw what he thought was a Bigfoot watching him.  He started up his chainsaw and backed down the trail until he hooked up with his crew.  Several of them went back up the trail with chainsaws revving.  Apparently a couple of other crew members claim they saw something.  Maybe they were just responding to him, or may be they did,  I don't know.

The whole crew got individual interviews with the fire boss and the entire crew was taken off the job.

He had 5 years or so in the field on a hot shot fire crew, so I think he has some experience and credibility.  He is sure it was Bigfoot, I believe he saw something, I am still skeptical and think it was likely a bear.

The fact that the crew got taken off the fire was I believe a decision by the fire boss to minimize  distraction for other crews.  Fire fighting is very dangerous, requires full attention and focus, and no pre-occupation with Bigfoot jumping out from behind a tree.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Ok I have one story.  You can judge for yourself.

I shared dinner with a guy from a hot-shot fire crew, I knew his parents.

His crew had been  on a fire near Mt. Shasta.  He was clearing brush from a fire line. He stopped to answer a the call of nature.  When he looked around he saw what he thought was a Bigfoot watching him.  He started up his chainsaw and backed down the trail until he hooked up with his crew.  Several of them went back up the trail with chainsaws revving.  Apparently a couple of other crew members claim they saw something.  Maybe they were just responding to him, or may be they did,  I don't know.

The whole crew got individual interviews with the fire boss and the entire crew was taken off the job.

He had 5 years or so in the field on a hot shot fire crew, so I think he has some experience and credibility.  He is sure it was Bigfoot, I believe he saw something, I am still skeptical and think it was likely a bear.

The fact that the crew got taken off the fire was I believe a decision by the fire boss to minimize  distraction for other crews.  Fire fighting is very dangerous, requires full attention and focus, and no pre-occupation with Bigfoot jumping out from behind a tree.  

I have seen video of bears up on their rears doing some very un bear looking stuff, and we know bears exist, the evidence doesnt support bigfoot exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I have seen video of bears up on their rears doing some very un bear looking stuff, and we know bears exist, the evidence doesnt support bigfoot exists.

Pedals the bear walked on his hind legs.  Seeing a tall black creature walking on two legs when you would expect them to walk on all 4 would throw most anyone off, and some people see what they want to see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

Yes.  I did not contradict him at a dinner at his parent's house but I think it was probably a bear too.  It makes a good story.  I have even seen bucks stand up on their hind legs to get a look at something that puzzled them (Me sitting on the ground with a rain poncho over my head).  Still it makes a good story does it not?  Feel free to tell your friends you have a friend of a friend who said.....  Best results if you tell it at a campfire or in a dark room with a flashlight under your chin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Yes.  I did not contradict him at a dinner at his parent's house but I think it was probably a bear too.  It makes a good story.  I have even seen bucks stand up on their hind legs to get a look at something that puzzled them (Me sitting on the ground with a rain poncho over my head).  Still it makes a good story does it not?  Feel free to tell your friends you have a friend of a friend who said.....  Best results if you tell it at a campfire or in a dark room with a flashlight under your chin.

Oh yeah the deer thing, i had a fright one night i posted longer version on here,

basicaly im on the side of the road here in fl between eustis and mt dora, middle of the sticks its late dead out im tuning my VW trike i only had light back on the engine it moved some and fairly bright,

Im sitting on the ground hear something in the tree line like a chirpie bird like sound, i get my light up enough to see a small to medium deer seem to get startled i was there it goes up on its rear legs and walks along the tree line a ways before finding a spot to sink back into the trees, the light gave it eye glow and it had very short or no antlers to add to its weirdness,

It gave me that creeped heebie jeebie feel .

The story your buddy told he likely told countless times and likely somewhere a person insists bigfoot is real because a fireman told them he saw it, pretty much how it works, i fully believe your buddy saw something just not bigfoot.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, the13bats said:

Oh yeah the deer thing, i had a fright one night i posted longer version on here,

basicaly im on the side of the road here in fl between eustis and mt dora, middle of the sticks its late dead out im tuning my VW trike i only had light back on the engine it moved some and fairly bright,

Im sitting on the ground hear something in the tree line like a chirpie bird like sound, i get my light up enough to see a small to medium deer seem to get startled i was there it goes up on its rear legs and walks along the tree line a ways before finding a spot to sink back into the trees, the light gave it eye glow and it had very short or no antlers to add to its weirdness,

It gave me that creeped heebie jeebie feel .

The story your buddy told he likely told countless times and likely somewhere a person insists bigfoot is real because a fireman told them he saw it, pretty much how it works, i fully believe your buddy saw something just not bigfoot.

I think you hit the nail onthe head about Bigfoot and a lot of his other worldly, other worldly and alien companions.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2021 at 3:26 AM, Tatetopa said:

Serious question, Tat - and good to see you, too...

Why is it when an eyewitness sees something (UFO BigFoot etc) that other people who are NOT eyewitnesses seem to think they know better as to what he saw?

In other words, you tell someone that you saw a blimp go by. He doesn't believe you and tells a mutual friend that you saw clouds. Does that make any sense? Geeezus, I hope not. :D

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Serious question, Tat - and good to see you, too...

Why is it when an eyewitness sees something (UFO BigFoot etc) that other people who are NOT eyewitnesses seem to think they know better as to what he saw?

In other words, you tell someone that you saw a blimp go by. He doesn't believe you and tells a mutual friend that you saw clouds. Does that make any sense? Geeezus, I hope not. 

Serious answer Earl.  I am certainly guilty of it too.

I would not have put that story in this thread if I didn't have just a wee bit of wonder.  

I base my doubt on collective experience of many people I know and some I don't.  I also have experienced fear and startlement in the woods, I know what that can be like.  Observations made during that moment are not always as accurate as calm and thoughtful ones.

As Carl Sagan said, "To make an apple pie, first you have to make the universe," . or something like that.  For A Bigfoot to still exist in our era, it most probably needs to be a member of a breeding population, with a sustainable number of males, females, and young out there.  If they are animals like humans, bears, cougars, and deer they leave behind many trails, scats, feeding indications and dens or bedding signs.  In the last 10 years especially, trail cams are scattered throughout the woods by hunters. Still we don't have incontestable evidence.  Based on those things, bigfoot seems highly unlikely. 

But as I said, I still have a very illogical want to believe.  I know the individual as a solid trustworthy person in our other interactions,  He may have been mistaken in the moment.  He was certainly vulnerable and defenseless.  Or there is a minuscule chance he saw exactly what he thought he saw.   

Without resorting to bending space and time and multidimensions plus the supernatural, the very rarity of signs and sightings make Bigfoot a creature on the  verge of extinction.   That makes me a little sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apple pie...yummy apples and oranges, hum.

There is a mass of unquestionable evidence to the extent of undeniable proof blimps do in fact exist.

There is nothing in the way of proof and horribly weak evidence if one can even call it evidence since stories are not evidence that bigfoot exists.

If a person says i saw a bear, a deer, a wild pig ( known creature ) in the woods pretty much no one disputes that claim, someone claims to see bigfoot its not about knowing better its about what does evidence support and there is nothing to support bigfoot exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because eyewitness testimony is so unreliable.

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/teaching/myth-eyewitness-testimony-is-the-best-kind-of-evidence.html

The claim that eyewitness testimony is reliable and accurate is testable, and the research is clear that eyewitness identification is vulnerable to distortion without the witness’s awareness. More specifically, the assumption that memory provides an accurate recording of experience, much like a video camera, is incorrect. Memory evolved to give us a personal sense of identity and to guide our actions. We are biased to notice and exaggerate some experiences and to minimize or overlook others. Memory is malleable.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-the-eyes-have-it/

IN 1984 KIRK BLOODSWORTH was convicted of the rape and murder of a nine-year-old girl and sentenced to the gas chamber—an outcome that rested largely on the testimony of five eyewitnesses. After Bloodsworth served nine years in prison, DNA testing proved him to be innocent. Such devastating mistakes by eyewitnesses are not rare, according to a report by the Innocence Project, an organization affiliated with the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law at Yeshiva University that uses DNA testing to exonerate those wrongfully convicted of crimes. Since the 1990s, when DNA testing was first introduced, Innocence Project researchers have reported that 73 percent of the 239 convictions overturned through DNA testing were based on eyewitness testimony. One third of these overturned cases rested on the testimony of two or more mistaken eyewitnesses

Because people embellish and lie.

Because people misidentify things.

Because bears and clouds and blimps (oh my) have been demonstrated to exist and alien spacecraft and footies have not.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Apple pie...yummy apples and oranges, hum.

There is a mass of unquestionable evidence to the extent of undeniable proof blimps do in fact exist.

There is nothing in the way of proof and horribly weak evidence if one can even call it evidence since stories are not evidence that bigfoot exists.

If a person says i saw a bear, a deer, a wild pig ( known creature ) in the woods pretty much no one disputes that claim, someone claims to see bigfoot its not about knowing better its about what does evidence support and there is nothing to support bigfoot exists.

My neighbor tells the cops he saw me murder my wife; do the cops immediately arrest me or do they look for evidence that a murder even took place?  Your best friend who you trust implicitly claims he saw your wife go into a motel with her yoga instructor.  Do you believe him or do you ask for more evidence.

The difference between credulity and rationality.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Resume said:

My neighbor tells the cops he saw me murder my wife; do the cops immediately arrest me or do they look for evidence that a murder even took place?  Your best friend who you trust implicitly claims he saw your wife go into a motel with her yoga instructor.  Do you believe him or do you ask for more evidence.

The difference between credulity and rationality.

Exactly correct and we are presented with the question why do dear true believers insist on tossing rationality out the window closing the window and locking it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Exactly correct and we are presented with the question why do dear true believers insist on tossing rationality out the window closing the window and locking it.

Well it was one of his weaker attempts at trying to prove a point. Very weak, even for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1