Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Experiences With Homœopathy(or not!).

ouija ouija

As some of you may have noticed, I am a big fan of homœopathy and I am puzzled by it's lack of acceptance(even disinterest), here at UM. So, I would like to hear your individual views on it, whether or not you have had any experience of it.

* Have you had personal experience of homœopathic remedy-taking?

* Were you pleased with the results?

* Did you have confidence in the homœopath you saw, or did you prescribe for yourself?

* Have any friends or relatives of yours used homœopathy? What did they think of the results?

* If you haven't used homœopathy, what stopped you from doing so?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I would need to see both that it works and how it works.  No one has been able to explain the latter scientifically outside of a placebo effect to my knowledge.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I would need to see both that it works and how it works.  No one has been able to explain the latter scientifically outside of a placebo effect to my knowledge.

Can I ask, have you done any research into it and/or asked around family and friends if they have tried it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

Can I ask, have you done any research into it and/or asked around family and friends if they have tried it?

The research I've done has mainly been from skeptical and medical sites.  I don't know that much about the variety of homeopathy treatments, I've mainly heard about the 'memory of water' part which makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

As some of you may have noticed, I am a big fan of homœopathy and I am puzzled by it's lack of acceptance(even disinterest), here at UM. So, I would like to hear your individual views on it, whether or not you have had any experience of it.

* Did you have confidence in the homœopath you saw, or did you prescribe for yourself?

* Have any friends or relatives of yours used homœopathy? What did they think of the results?

I have used homeopathy and I often prefer it to going to an allopathic doctor who doesn't listen because I am a female over 50 and most of them just want to write prescriptions that have nothing to do with why I went.   I have encountered a few that actually listen and are knowledgeable and one who actually told me "I don't know, I will have to consult with others."   Very rare bird and now he is retired.

Anyway.  At my age I know my body, what I need and what symptoms mean.  There is a really good homeopathic doctor in our city that my mother had gone to sometimes.   I have lots of herb books and study them but I don't grow  my own herbs, except basil for cooking and spearmint because I love the smell.

There is a chinese school of medicine that I have gone to before too.  They have acupuncture and "stinky tea", and some of their students are immigrants from China, that already have a lot of training, who have to go through the program in the U.S. in order to be allowed to practice.  When I bent over to pick up something and could not stand up again, except with a lot of pain, I went to them.

When my kids were young I found a really good osteopathic doctor.   He is the one who would actually say "I don't know, I will have to consult with others."   Osteopaths are rare nowadays, they used to be the best of both worlds.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Licking a 5 cent stamp helps against a slight cold, licking a 50 cent stamp helps against a severe cold.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

The research I've done has mainly been from skeptical and medical sites.  I don't know that much about the variety of homeopathy treatments, I've mainly heard about the 'memory of water' part which makes no sense.

I think the 'memory of water' thing puts a lot of people off but, speaking personally, I don't care how it works, I'm just grateful that it does. Since the beginning of their existence, humans have been seeking out herbs that help them feel better, without understanding(or caring!), why they work(animals do this too). To put this in context, willow bark was first recorded as an analgesic in 1934BC. It wasn't until the 19th century AD that the active ingredient in willow bark, salicin, was isolated and became the basis of our most popular analgesic today: Aspirin.

There is some current scientific experimentation which, whilst not proving anything, comes very close to saying it's possible water could have a 'memory'(retain properties after all material has been removed). I will look for the link to this.  

35 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have used homeopathy and I often prefer it to going to an allopathic doctor who doesn't listen because I am a female over 50 and most of them just want to write prescriptions that have nothing to do with why I went.   I have encountered a few that actually listen and are knowledgeable and one who actually told me "I don't know, I will have to consult with others."   Very rare bird and now he is retired.

Anyway.  At my age I know my body, what I need and what symptoms mean.  There is a really good homeopathic doctor in our city that my mother had gone to sometimes.   I have lots of herb books and study them but I don't grow  my own herbs, except basil for cooking and spearmint because I love the smell.

There is a chinese school of medicine that I have gone to before too.  They have acupuncture and "stinky tea", and some of their students are immigrants from China, that already have a lot of training, who have to go through the program in the U.S. in order to be allowed to practice.  When I bent over to pick up something and could not stand up again, except with a lot of pain, I went to them.

When my kids were young I found a really good osteopathic doctor.   He is the one who would actually say "I don't know, I will have to consult with others."   Osteopaths are rare nowadays, they used to be the best of both worlds.

Thank you for your very positive input :D. I'm glad you've had such success with so-called 'alternative' medicine. I have been to homœopaths but also prescribed for myself with great success. I think it's sad that some people are so dismissive of a form of medication that is so effective and yet gentle too. 300 million people, in 70 countries around the world, use homœopathy. Would so many people continue to do this if it doesn't work?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I don't care how it works, I'm just grateful that it does.

But how do you know it is 'it' that is working?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Oh, oh, oh, thaaat placebo...

:)

Assuming for a moment that homœopathic remedies are just placebos, that they work through the power of the patient's mind . . . . . isn't that the most amazing, wonderful thing?! Imagine, you just have to take a pill(that is nothing but powder and sugar), and your symptoms are gone. Isn't that something that would be very desirable?

• Like 1

Just now, ouija ouija said:

:)

Assuming for a moment that homœopathic remedies are just placebos, that they work through the power of the patient's mind . . . . . isn't that the most amazing, wonderful thing?! Imagine, you just have to take a pill(that is nothing but powder and sugar), and your symptoms are gone. Isn't that something that would be very desirable?

I fully believe in the placebo effect, but I also believe that proper medical treatments should be used. I also believe in the nocebo effect as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

I know nothing about it.  If I understand correctly it's partially about ingesting diluted amounts of harmful things which produce disease like symptoms in healthy people to trigger an immune response to those symptoms?  I say that is what we have done with vaccines like the covid vaccine that uses none of the actual virus but triggers the immune system as if it does.

• Thanks 1

It it were reliable, which the placebo effect is not.

11 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I think it's sad that some people are so dismissive of a form of medication that is so effective

Where are the scientific studies showing that homeopathy is 'so effective'? 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Thank you for your very positive input :D. I'm glad you've had such success with so-called 'alternative' medicine. I have been to homœopaths but also prescribed for myself with great success. I think it's sad that some people are so dismissive of a form of medication that is so effective and yet gentle too. 300 million people, in 70 countries around the world, use homœopathy. Would so many people continue to do this if it doesn't work?

It is programming.  In the olden days (I think almost 200 years ago) homeopaths were respected and well trained doctors.  They had a lot of training but somewhere the allopaths got a foothold, helped by the pharmacist/chemists because homeopaths would prescribe a few grains of a substance but an allopath would prescribe 10 -100 times that.  So the current medical schools were started by a group of pharmacists and that is how they are now trained, to sell huge amounts of medicines.   It has evolved a lot in the last 100 years.   I don't consider allopaths trained well enough in a lot of areas, first being interacting with patients and actually listening to what they are saying.  They have been taught to intimidate so even if they did listen, they would not always get the real story.  My mother and my sister's mother-in-law are good examples of that.  The doctor acts like a god and people are intimidated or don't trust themselves so they minimze the effect of the symptoms, like "on a scale of 1 to 10 how much pain do you have?   "2" when in fact it is 10.   If it were really 2 why would they be there?  Allopathic doctors are also trained to ignore common sense. 

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Doctors are also trained to ignore common sense. 

Huh? Do you mean 'common sense' as 'things people believe are common sense but actually aren't'?  Interesting on the pain symptoms example, I always thought it was just as often the other way around; their pain is a 2 but they say it's a 10.

Edited by Liquid Gardens
  • Thanks 1

I would like to say that if I have suffered a trauma of some kind I think allopaths are better prepared for that, but illness is hit and miss, too often they say things like "Let's try ...."   Meaning they have no clue and do not care to get one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Huh? Do you mean 'common sense' as 'things people believe are common sense but actually aren't'?  Interesting on the pain symptoms example, I always thought it was just as often the other way around; their pain is a 2 but they say it's a 10.

I mean what I said.  A woman goes to the doctor in extreme pain, but because of the manner of the doctor when asked the woman mininizes her situation (the fault of both, not just the doctor or the patient) and common sense would indicate that if it were the pain were not that bad there would be no reason for the woman to be there. COMMON SENSE, most men and a lot of women don't have it and my opinion is that doctors are discourage in medical school to use their common sense.   They are forced to be sleep deprived for 4 to 6 years before they can practice and it takes many years for them to get their minds back from the mind control they are subjected to in medical school.  It isn't the most intelligent that are wanted for medical school, it is the most malleable somewhat intelligent they accept.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

But how do you know it is 'it' that is working?

I will give you an example: my body has retained the herpes zoster virus after childhood chicken pox and every now and again it flares up producing the most appalling neuralgic pain. I put up with this for years, trying various painkillers none of which had the least effect. I was even given the anti-depressant Sertraline by my doctor as that was supposed to help . . . it didn't. Each bout was getting worse and I turned in desperation to homœopathy. It worked like magic within hours and has continued to do so every time the neuralgia flares up again. I could give you other examples were no other explanations for healing can be given.

• Like 3

@ouija ouija

If it isn't a problem I'll drop a few links on both the placebo and nocebo effect. I should have a few still saved. Just let me know, don't want to derail this.

18 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

I fully believe in the placebo effect, but I also believe that proper medical treatments should be used. I also believe in the nocebo effect as well.

Hmm, that doesn't really answer my question. I do agree with you that there are times when allopathic intervention(operations in particular), is necessary, usually when the situation is pretty dire.

And I'm definitely not surprised that you believe in the nocebo effect!

5 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

@ouija ouija

If it isn't a problem I'll drop a few links on both the placebo and nocebo effect. I should have a few still saved. Just let me know, don't want to derail this.

Go for it.

Hmm, that doesn't really answer my question. I do agree with you that there are times when allopathic intervention(operations in particular), is necessary, usually when the situation is pretty dire.

And I'm definitely not surprised that you believe in the nocebo effect!

From what I know a placebo (sugar pill) can trigger the same or similar effect as prescribed medication. Though not as potent as the real deal.

I get turned off by the homeopathic community because it always seems like people trying to sell you supplements.

I do wish medical doctors would take a more holistic approach when treating people though.

I feel like anytime I've gone to a doctor they haven't really done anything. They just help if you're clearly dieing.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Xeno-Fish said:

From what I know a placebo (sugar pill) can trigger the same or similar effect as prescribed medication. Though not as potent as the real deal.

The mind is powerful.  If a patient does not trust the doctor it is possible that no matter what drug that doctor prescribed it would not have the expected effect (ignoring side effects for the moment), Is that what nocebo is?    If the patient fully trusts the doctor it could be sugar pills and the patient would respond as if it were actual medicine.   Placebo.   There are always more factors in someone's healing than are accounted for in allopathic medicine.  Homeopaths are trained to accept that the body is a system, not separate parts.  The allopath only addresses issues as if each body part is separate from the rest.

• Like 1