Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Experiences With Homœopathy(or not!).

ouija ouija

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I get turned off by the homeopathic community because it always seems like people trying to sell you supplements.

I do wish medical doctors would take a more holistic approach when treating people though.

I feel like anytime I've gone to a doctor they haven't really done anything. They just help if you're clearly dieing.

Just throw pills at it.

That's what it feels like to me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Just throw pills at it.

And there is no such thing as a magic pill.

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

The mind is powerful.  If a patient does not trust the doctor it is possible that no matter what drug that doctor prescribed it would not have the expected effect (ignoring side effects for the moment), Is that what nocebo is?    If the patient fully trusts the doctor it could be sugar pills and the patient would respond as if it were actual medicine.   Placebo.   There are always more factors in someone's healing than are accounted for in allopathic medicine.  Homeopaths are trained to accept that the body is a system, not separate parts.  The allopath only addresses issues as if each body part is separate from the rest.

The way I think of it is that alone the medicine will be X effective. Couple that with a positive or negative belief in the effectiveness, which I feel either amplifies or decreases effectiveness. 

Think of it as really wanting coffee and it "magically" perks you up. Then if you drink it to just drink it, the perk effect is mild. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Just throw pills at it.

Feels more like, 'just buy our pills' to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I know nothing about it.  If I understand correctly it's partially about ingesting diluted amounts of harmful things which produce disease like symptoms in healthy people to trigger an immune response to those symptoms?  I say that is what we have done with vaccines like the covid vaccine that uses none of the actual virus but triggers the immune system as if it does.

The materials used in homœopathic remedies are very varied and not usually harmful(although some are in their undiluted form). Each material in it's undiluted form produces symptoms(mental, physical and emotional), and the homœopath endeavors to match the symptoms of the patient with a remedy that produces the same symptoms. It's not about triggering an immune response but rather stimulating the Life Force to re-balance itself, re-gain it's equilibrium. Although perhaps that is the same thing?!

The main differences between homœopathic medicine and allopathic medicines are the concentration of the substance used to cure and the length of time the medicine is prescribed for.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

A woman goes to the doctor in extreme pain, but because of the manner of the doctor when asked the woman mininizes her situation (the fault of both, not just the doctor or the patient) and common sense would indicate that if it were the pain were not that bad there would be no reason for the woman to be there.

I don't know why you think that doctors don't know about this, they do.

26 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

my opinion is that doctors are discourage in medical school to use their common sense.

What is that based on?

27 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

They are forced to be sleep deprived for 4 to 6 years before they can practice and it takes many years for them to get their minds back from the mind control they are subjected to in medical school.  It isn't the most intelligent that are wanted for medical school, it is the most malleable somewhat intelligent they accept.

What is the source of all this information you have about medical school?  Have you ever attended one?  Seriously, 'mind control'? 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your replies :). I have to go for now but will answer all your posts later.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Feels more like, 'just buy our pills' to me.

One of the reasons I refused blood pressure medication. It wouldn't solve the problem, it would allow me to make it worse. Because I wouldn't need to eat better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

I think the 'memory of water' thing puts a lot of people off but, speaking personally, I don't care how it works, I'm just grateful that it does. Since the beginning of their existence, humans have been seeking out herbs that help them feel better, without understanding(or caring!), why they work(animals do this too). To put this in context, willow bark was first recorded as an analgesic in 1934BC. It wasn't until the 19th century AD that the active ingredient in willow bark, salicin, was isolated and became the basis of our most popular analgesic today: Aspirin.

Greetings.  I am a little confused. I have used herbal remedies for many years, but in my mind that is different from homeopathy.  The doses I have consumed have been of the strength one can derive from brewing a tea or ingesting an amount of substance.  without multiple dilutions.   Even some things that are more from recent tradition than ancient can be effective,  For muscle cramps brought on by exertion and heat, a swig of pickle juice seems to have immediate effect.  I would guess it is the salt, vinegar and electrolytes that are responsible.  

A lot of modern drugs are derived from plants and concentrated.  Maybe the ideal dose is a little smaller or maybe extracting a single plant substance from a suite of many is not ideal. 

Is homeopathy just a matter from there of finding the smallest dose possible that has an effect or a broader spectrum in smaller amounts that have less side effects? 

• Like 5

https://www.cnbc.com/2013/12/26/common-knee-surgery-ineffective-in-study.html

There's a lot that doctors know that never , okay, rarely shows up in the news or reported on so sheeple would not waste their time or money(medical insurance).

Swinging directly to topic, some of that complementary is placebo, kind of a head trip thing and some believe in it almost religiously. Others , frequent or have several doctors they see more than family. They might even see them(various flavors of doctors) more than regularly almost like a game or always something wrong with this or that.

Nope not perfectly content focused, but --

i just liked to put that jab in about doctor s , like ancient times(exaggerating) a body found on a trail in the old days everyone would say "probably was no angel."

. . moral: Lots of things are fake.

Edited by Nosy.Matters
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

It it were reliable, which the placebo effect is not.

Where are the scientific studies showing that homeopathy is 'so effective'? 

I have always found homœopathy to be very reliable but I do take a long time to read up on several remedies before deciding on one.

"Where are the scientific studies showing that homeopathy is 'so effective'? " . . . . I have no idea! I just plunged right in and tried it. I feel sad for people who can't move unless there's a scientific study telling them it's been proven to be okay to do so. You just have to use your intuition, I guess. Plus the fact that homœopathy has been used over so many years. It's continuous usage suggested to me that it worked, otherwise it would have disappeared, wouldn't it? I have never felt the need to look into why homœopathy works, I am just so pleased that it does(as I have proved over and over again to myself). 

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

It is programming.  In the olden days (I think almost 200 years ago) homeopaths were respected and well trained doctors.  They had a lot of training but somewhere the allopaths got a foothold, helped by the pharmacist/chemists because homeopaths would prescribe a few grains of a substance but an allopath would prescribe 10 -100 times that.  So the current medical schools were started by a group of pharmacists and that is how they are now trained, to sell huge amounts of medicines.   It has evolved a lot in the last 100 years.   I don't consider allopaths trained well enough in a lot of areas, first being interacting with patients and actually listening to what they are saying.  They have been taught to intimidate so even if they did listen, they would not always get the real story.  My mother and my sister's mother-in-law are good examples of that.  The doctor acts like a god and people are intimidated or don't trust themselves so they minimze the effect of the symptoms, like "on a scale of 1 to 10 how much pain do you have?   "2" when in fact it is 10.   If it were really 2 why would they be there?  Allopathic doctors are also trained to ignore common sense. 

I started training as a homœopath but had to give up as I could no longer afford it. It was a 4 year course and included anatomy and physiology studies.

I don't know what it's like where you live, but here in the UK if you go to an NHS doctor you are allowed just 10mns with him/her. If you have more than one problem you have to make another appointment! It makes the whole thing a stress right from the get-go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xeno-Fish said:

From what I know a placebo (sugar pill) can trigger the same or similar effect as prescribed medication. Though not as potent as the real deal.

How do you think that works, the triggering of the same or similar effect as prescribed medication?

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I don't know what it's like where you live, but here in the UK if you go to an NHS doctor you are allowed just 10mns with him/her. If you have more than one problem you have to make another appointment! It makes the whole thing a stress right from the get-go.

Same here. Doctors schedule in 15 min slots. And insurance pays about in 15 min slots. Insurance gives them like $200 for 15 mins. It's a racket 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

How do you think that works, the triggering of the same or similar effect as prescribed medication?

The belief in its effectiveness releases the same neurochemicals and triggers the same system responses as the real medications. Though not as effective. 

Edited by Xeno-Fish
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I started training as a homœopath but had to give up as I could no longer afford it. It was a 4 year course and included anatomy and physiology studies.

In the U.S. it depends on a lot of things, what area you live in and how your doctor does business.    Some will let you bring up multiple issues and some will  run in, look at your weight and try to run out the door after trying to shove a prescription at you.   Some will ask questions and not listen and a very few will ask questions and listen to the answers.   I have been to doctors who wrote in my chart things that had nothing to do with why I was there.  

I suspect that homeopathy is nothing more than Placebo Effect, but I am open-minded, and willing to discover otherwise.

As William Wordsworth wrote in The Pied Piper of Hamlet:  "There are more things in this Heaven and Earth Ratio, than are dreamt of in your philately. (or something)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, acute said:

I suspect that homeopathy is nothing more than Placebo Effect, but I am open-minded, and willing to discover otherwise.

As William Wordsworth wrote in The Pied Piper of Hamlet:  "There are more things in this Heaven and Earth Ratio, than are dreamt of in your philately. (or something)

So are you saying you want someone to prove it is otherwise, or are you willing to research it?   There is a lot of information out there, including the history of how we went from  homeopathic doctors as the accepted traditional medicine to what we now think of as traditional, which is allopathic and not really traditional.    There are things that are better in each and reasonably we should be encouraged to use both and taught when each is more useful.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

As some of you may have noticed, I am a big fan of homœopathy and I am puzzled by it's lack of acceptance(even disinterest), here at UM. So, I would like to hear your individual views on it, whether or not you have had any experience of it.

* Have you had personal experience of homœopathic remedy-taking?

* Were you pleased with the results?

* Did you have confidence in the homœopath you saw, or did you prescribe for yourself?

* Have any friends or relatives of yours used homœopathy? What did they think of the results?

* If you haven't used homœopathy, what stopped you from doing so?

Yes, I do it. I prescribe myself. Some of it is straight up homeopathic, some of it is culinary knowledge.

Like mint is cooling and can balance spicy or fatty foods- and help settle an upset stomach. Ginger is also good for the tummy and digestion and can help soothe a sore throat. Elderberry and hibiscus have vitamin boosts. A good pot of homemade chicken soup has fats, herbs, electrolytes, and some protein that really is good for you when you are sick. Comfrey root compresses really can help a swollen and sore knee, jewelweed and calendula provide good salves for cuts, scrapes, insect bites, and minor burns. Aloe for burns too. Toothache plant has numbing qualities and is good in a throat soothing tea, helping a sore tooth, or for topical numbing. Dairy fats and food acids can cut a capsaicin burn, and bay leaves do seem to help nix the toots out of dry beans. Willow bark tea can help a headache and other aches, and pine sap can seal a cut. 

But I keep it mostly simple with my home remedies. I know foxglove can help the heart and I do grow it, but I wouldn't think of trying to make my own medicine with it- I'd go to my doc and get prescribed the pharm pill version of it. Homeopathic only goes so far, then more hardcore science and medicine needs to take over for me. 

I think there is something to be said for diet being kind of medicine. Eat bad stuff, and the body isn't as healthy as when we eat good stuff. Doctors recommend or even prescribe particular diets because of their healthiness or heath benefits, particularly in light of some medical conditions. While not homeopathic per se, it is part of the whole wellness thing that I feel should be part of homeopathic practice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

"Where are the scientific studies showing that homeopathy is 'so effective'? "

At least it seems that it has no harmful side effects.

I feel sad for people who can't move unless there's a scientific study telling them it's been proven to be okay to do so.

The parents of Thalidomide kids are still sad ones.

Plus the fact that homœopathy has been used over so many years. It's continuous usage suggested to me that it worked, otherwise it would have disappeared, wouldn't it?

The continuous usage is not an indicator for efficacy but its still a global billion market because millions of people believe in something.

BTW: it would be interesting to know how many would practize Homœopathy if it would have diarrhea as a side effect.

24 minutes ago, rashore said:

Yes, I do it. I prescribe myself. Some of it is straight up homeopathic, some of it is culinary knowledge.

Like mint is cooling and can balance spicy or fatty foods- and help settle an upset stomach. Ginger is also good for the tummy and digestion and can help soothe a sore throat. Elderberry and hibiscus have vitamin boosts. A good pot of homemade chicken soup has fats, herbs, electrolytes, and some protein that really is good for you when you are sick. Comfrey root compresses really can help a swollen and sore knee, jewelweed and calendula provide good salves for cuts, scrapes, insect bites, and minor burns. Aloe for burns too. Toothache plant has numbing qualities and is good in a throat soothing tea, helping a sore tooth, or for topical numbing. Dairy fats and food acids can cut a capsaicin burn, and bay leaves do seem to help nix the toots out of dry beans. Willow bark tea can help a headache and other aches, and pine sap can seal a cut. 

But I keep it mostly simple with my home remedies. I know foxglove can help the heart and I do grow it, but I wouldn't think of trying to make my own medicine with it- I'd go to my doc and get prescribed the pharm pill version of it. Homeopathic only goes so far, then more hardcore science and medicine needs to take over for me. 

I think there is something to be said for diet being kind of medicine. Eat bad stuff, and the body isn't as healthy as when we eat good stuff. Doctors recommend or even prescribe particular diets because of their healthiness or heath benefits, particularly in light of some medical conditions. While not homeopathic per se, it is part of the whole wellness thing that I feel should be part of homeopathic practice. 

And don't forget raw onion can open up the sinus'.   You don't eat it just cut it and breathe the aroma.   Better than cold medicine for opening up swollen air ways and it does help if you have a child with chronic ear infections, it opens up the eustachian tubes so that the ears can drain.   I used to keep a cut onion on the kids bedside table.   They both do the same for their kids.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Probably through familiarity. You take a headache pill and feel the effect, with one of those pills being inert and still giving the effect. Because the placebo acts as a trigger. So the idea of "this will ease my headache" takes effect. One of the issues with the placebo effect is false-positives. The belief in an illness without real symptoms or a wrong diagnosis can results in a nocebo effect. Which means a belief in a cure is a placebo. 

Here is some information of the placebo-effect.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20471615/

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, toast said:

At least it seems that it has no harmful side effects.

The parents of Thalidomide kids are still sad ones.

The continuous usage is not an indicator for efficacy but its still a global billion market because millions of people believe in something.

BTW: it would be interesting to know how many would practize Homœopathy if it would have diarrhea as a side effect.

Depending on what therapy you are talking about it can have harmful side effects.  You can't just willy nilly take stuff just because someone said...   If you take too much vitamin C or Zinc you get diarrhea because your body sluffs off the excess, which is not true if you over do other substances, like potassium which can cause a heart attack if you get too much at once, and the same goes for herbs, if you don't know what you are doing you best go to a trained homeopathic doctor if you want that kind of treatment.   

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

So are you saying you want someone to prove it is otherwise, or are you willing to research it?

I've never been concerned about the efficacy of homeopathic medicine, because I haven't been in a situation where I might consider using it.

But, if the general consensus changes from 'absolute nonsense' to 'there may be something in it', I will take note and look into it.

• Like 1

Just now, acute said:

I've never been concerned about the efficacy of homeopathic medicine, because I haven't been in a situation where I might consider using it.

But, if the general consensus changes from 'absolute nonsense' to 'there may be something in it', I will take note and look into it.

The general consensus is a program to keep people trapped in the current medical system and dis empowered from taking responsibility for their own health.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1