Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Living skyscraper' wins architecture prize

UM-Bot

That wins a prize?

Why not go all the way and design a skyscraper out of endangered species?  Genetically modified elephants for walls (strength), g-m transparent fish for windows (or coloured ones, if thin enough), g-m angora rabbits for carpets (soft, non-carnivorous), etc.

What utter tosh.  IMHO.  (The 'H' doesn't mean humble.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

That wins a prize?

Why not go all the way and design a skyscraper out of endangered species?  Genetically modified elephants for walls (strength), g-m transparent fish for windows (or coloured ones, if thin enough), g-m angora rabbits for carpets (soft, non-carnivorous), etc.

What utter tosh.  IMHO.  (The 'H' doesn't mean humble.)

It has to be a feel good factor. 

Wouldn't the trees eventually die and rot, leaving the infrastructure of the skyscraper incredibly dangerous?

Oh wait..nevermind..I just read this:

While such a design might not be practical in reality and the entire thing would seem to be one hell of a fire risk, it is nonetheless a fascinating look at a concept that could potentially exist in the future.

It's basically a fantasy building...definitely Feel Goodism!

Potentially exist in the future??   sigh

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

Growing buildings (and growing vehicles, tools, technology, etc.) is an interesting concept to look into...But it's also one we're clearly thousands of years from.
Now, growing parts? Growing things to serve specific functions in cleaning/recycling, energy creation/storage, maintenance, etc.? That's worth working on.

Near the house that I lived in before, there's a big tree that's partially engulfing a wire fence. I was looking at that tree one day, and I started wondering if it would be feasible to create a full fence that way. Plant saplings and near a set of suspended crossbars. As the trees grow, they grow around the crossbars, so that eventually the tree trunks serve as the fence posts. If you take it a step farther, with careful pruning, it might be possible to use horizontal branches as crossbars, so that the entire fence is naturally grown. There are some logistical problems with growing trees so close together, and it will takes several decades for them to be able to grow around and support the crossbars, but it's a fun thought experiment. Maybe some day, when I have the time, money, and space, I'll try to grow a wall out of trees.

I can see them building Police Headquarters out of this stuff. It would be ideal for the Special Branch.