Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK to recognise animals as sentient

Silver

Animals are to be formally recognised as sentient beings in UK law for the first time, in a victory for animal welfare campaigners, as the government set out a suite of animal welfare measures including halting most live animal exports and banning the import of hunting trophies.

The reforms will be introduced through a series of bills, including an animal sentience bill, and will cover farm animals and pets in the UK, and include protections for animals abroad, through bans on ivory and shark fins, and a potential ban on foie gras.

Some of the measures – including microchipping cats and stopping people keeping primates as pets – have been several years in preparation, and others – such as the restriction of live animal exports – have been the subject of decades-long campaigns. Animals to be formally recognised as sentient beings in UK law | Animal welfare | The Guardian

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You beat me to it! I was just reading this article elsewhere. It is great news and I hope those constructing the bills push the reforms as far as possible. :tsu:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Animals are to be formally recognised as sentient beings in UK law for the first time, in a victory for animal welfare campaigners, as the government set out a suite of animal welfare measures including halting most live animal exports and banning the import of hunting trophies.

The reforms will be introduced through a series of bills, including an animal sentience bill, and will cover farm animals and pets in the UK, and include protections for animals abroad, through bans on ivory and shark fins, and a potential ban on foie gras.

Some of the measures – including microchipping cats and stopping people keeping primates as pets – have been several years in preparation, and others – such as the restriction of live animal exports – have been the subject of decades-long campaigns. Animals to be formally recognised as sentient beings in UK law | Animal welfare | The Guardian

Great thread my friend, thanks very much for sharing it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Great thread my friend, thanks very much for sharing it!

This new reform may cause difficulties in justifying the mass slaughter  which will still carry on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully we are not far from the factory produce meat and fish, so we can reduce animal suffering.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

This new reform may cause difficulties in justifying the mass slaughter  which will still carry on.

I hope it does, but I also hope that pet owners are more responsible. People who never plan on breeding their animals should have them fixed. People also should be responsible enough to take their animals to a shelter if they no longer want them, far to many people just release their animals. Then when you mix that with animals that have not been sexually fixed it leads to a population explosion which only increases the problems already being experienced.

JIMO

• Like 2

Presumably this means humans - who are also an animal, just not a very intelligent one - will also now have to be deemed sentient?

Dogs, dolphins, elephants, crows, white mice and sparrows, fair enough.  But humans?  :unsure2:

Not sure they've really thought this one through!

• Haha 1

So this is officially saying that it is OK to eat sentient animals.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Myles said:

Baby steps. It will take carnivores a long time to get their heads around this. First thing will be improving animals' lives and living conditions and the conditions under which they are slaughtered.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Baby steps. It will take carnivores a long time to get their heads around this. First thing will be improving animals' lives and living conditions and the conditions under which they are slaughtered.

I agree.   It's just odd that the cow you may be eating is classified as sentient.   The mouse you killed in your mouse trap is sentient.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.   It's just odd that the cow you may be eating is classified as sentient.   The mouse you killed in your mouse trap is sentient.   

Hopefully it will make people think more carefully about what they do and adjust their actions accordingly. :)

• Like 1

The vegetarian debates will be irrelevant in 50 years when it becomes cheaper to grow meat in labs. 

As for the OP. I like animal right as long as this dosen't get in the way of scientific progress.

Everything medical has to be tested on animals before humans. To ban that would cause a huge slow down in science.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Hopefully it will make people think more carefully about what they do and adjust their actions accordingly. :)

Reading this as I eat bacon :yes:

I believe in animal rights.  I put them right into my mouth and eat them.

Just kidding.  Well.......

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Myles said:

Cannibals never had any problems with that. Humans seem to taste just fine.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Cannibals never had any problems with that. Humans seem to taste just fine.

Taste like chicken !

20 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Taste like chicken !

No, pork. 

I'm just guessing, of course. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

No, pork. 

I'm just guessing, of course. 

On the Fiji islands they called the humans they regularly consumed "long pig" or something. So I guess you are right. Btw., the Papuans preferred missionaries.

Well, pigs and humans are omnivores, eat the same stuff, so big chance they both taste about the same.

And why does all this talk make me feel hungry?!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

No, pork :D  

I think the locals probably cooked veal for the weird tourist who wanted to try human flesh.

Humans are a lot more similar to pigs than to cows. Only other apes, naturally, are more similar to humans than pigs but our eating habits are more pig-like than ape-like and not at all cow-like. Except vegetarians, of course :D   

And when people stink, like, two or three weeks without shower stink, that stench reminds of pigs, not cows. So they can't possibly taste like veal. 

Speaking of pigs, humans and eating habits, there's a morbidly humorous excuse in my part of the world for eating pigs: a pig would eat you too, without hesitation or guilt. Pigs don't even care if you're dead or only not moving fast enough. 

Aaaaall right, I'm done with my morbid moment.   

On 5/12/2021 at 7:39 AM, ted hughes said:

UK to recognise animals as sentient.

Does this include YamYams, from The Black Country?

I'm not done yet.

Quote from the link:

From animals to humans they can eat anything. Eating their own people is a custom of their community.They don't eat raw flesh, they invariably either boil, roast or smoke it.

In his 1931 book Jungle Ways, American adventurer and journalist William Buehler Seabrook provided the world's most detailed written description of the taste of human flesh.

Seabrook noted that, in raw form, human meat looks like beef, but slightly less red, with pale yellow fat.

When roasted, the meat turned grayish, as would lamb or veal, and smelled like cooked beef.

As for the taste, Seabrook wrote, “It was so nearly like good, fully developed veal that I think no person with a palate of ordinary, normal sensitiveness could distinguish it from veal.”

Edited by Abramelin

For god knows what reason I felt much more revolted when Hanslune once admitted his grandmother once prepared crow for him, AND, that he loved the taste of it.

There must be something seriously wrong with me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I'm not done yet.

Quote from the link:

From animals to humans they can eat anything. Eating their own people is a custom of their community.They don't eat raw flesh, they invariably either boil, roast or smoke it.

In his 1931 book Jungle Ways, American adventurer and journalist William Buehler Seabrook provided the world's most detailed written description of the taste of human flesh.

Seabrook noted that, in raw form, human meat looks like beef, but slightly less red, with pale yellow fat.

When roasted, the meat turned grayish, as would lamb or veal, and smelled like cooked beef.

As for the taste, Seabrook wrote, “It was so nearly like good, fully developed veal that I think no person with a palate of ordinary, normal sensitiveness could distinguish it from veal.”

Pork. 

Armin Meiwes, the German cannibal serving a life sentence for killing and eating a man who begged to be devoured, has described how the meat tasted of pork and how he prepared an elaborate meal 

https://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/first-tv-interview-with-german-cannibal-human-flesh-tastes-like-pork-a-511775.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

For god knows what reason I felt much more revolted when Hanslune once admitted his grandmother once prepared crow for him, AND, that he loved the taste of it.

There must be something seriously wrong with me.

I'd say you're perfectly all right. But since it's me saying that, you're probably not :D 

• Haha 2