Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A monstrous-looking fish normally found thousands of feet deep found on California beach

Grim Reaper 6

An unusual fish with teeth as sharp as glass and a body shaped like a football washed ashore on a California beach last week. The black colored creature with it's gaping mouth laid on the sand on the shore of Crystal Cove State Park's Marine Protected Area in Laguna Beach last Friday. The park shared images of the fish on social media and identified it as being most likely the Pacific Football Fish.

Football Fish: A monstrous-looking fish normally found thousands of feet deep in the ocean washed up on a California beach (msn.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Fascinating. Very interesting fish. Thanks for sharing. I've known about angler fish but never knew there were so many species. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Fascinating. Very interesting fish. Thanks for sharing. I've known about angler fish but never knew there were so many species. 

I also had no idea these things existed, that is a real nasty looking fellow.

Thanks for your post my friend:tu:

Eep! Looks like Beyoncé was kinda right; Who run the (angler fish) world? Girls!

Only females possess a long stalk on the head with bioluminescent tips used as a lure to entice prey in the darkness of waters as deep as 3,000 feet!," according to the Crystal Cove State Park post.

They added that females can grow to lengths of 24 inches while males only grow to be about an inch long. The sole purpose of the male fish is to help a female reproduce, reads the post. 

"Males latch onto the female with their teeth and become 'sexual parasites,' eventually coalescing with the female until nothing is left of their form but their testes for reproduction," reads the post.

• Like 1

that fish is from the deeps. We use to see those kind of strange fishes before great earthquake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does this creature by chance happen to have acid instead of blood in it's veins? Doesn't it makes you wonder?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Robin_Shadowes said:

Does this creature by chance happen to have acid instead of blood in it's veins? Doesn't it makes you wonder?

I don't think it has acid in its blood, however, they are known to swim up sewer pipes and up into people's toilets!:D

I don't recall the name of the fish, but it looks like one of those in deep dark ocean waters, that use a tiny light to lure its preys.

After doing a brief google search: Anglerfish?

Edited by godnodog
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 12:24 AM, HSlim said:

That's not a fish. That's my soul sucking ex-wife finally emerged from the depths.

With the teeth on that fish, any form of sucking would be a dangerous and a very frightening thought!!:w00t::D

• Haha 1