Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian woman wakes up with Irish accent

UM-Bot

psy�cho�so�mat�ic
/ˌsīkōsəˈmadik/

adjective
(of a physical illness or other condition) caused or aggravated by a mental factor such as internal conflict or stress.

• Like 2

I recognize this, remember having read a number of times before here on UM about people waking up from a trauma speaking another accent, or even another language. Interesting phenomenon.

• Like 2

Shuure and beghorah !  Saints be praised !  :P

• Haha 1

Nice accent and you don't have to be Irish--but it wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm half Irish and half English . .or as I like to say....Half Human and half English. .        :P  sorry mom..just kiddin.  

• Haha 1

It makes sense.  The Irish have evolved and are born without tonsils - they get in the way of drinking.  We're now working on evolving away the liver - what's the point of an organ that just gets destroyed before you're 16?

I'm Ulster Scot--Scotch-Irish in America. It is said that the first thing English settlers built here was a church. The first thing German settlers built here was a barn. The first thing Scotch-Irish settlers built here was a whisky still.:P

I've heard stories of people even speaking in a different language they didn't previously know. Even now extinct dialects. I suspect there may be something going on that doesn't fit at all in our straightforward understanding of how these things work. Past life speaking instincts?

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't understand the word 'syndrome', it's a doctors' term meaning: 'as usual we haven't a clue what causes it'.

Edited by Inn Spectre

It would be more convincing if she was speaking in a different (unfamiliar) language, as some of them do.

I'm not saying she's faking it, but she would have heard an Irish accent before this.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:39 AM, UM-Bot said:

A woman from Australia who underwent tonsil surgery woke up to find that her accent had completely changed.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/346858/australian-woman-wakes-up-with-irish-accent

Her 'Irish' accent does not sound authentic to my ears. Consciously or unconsciously, she is in control of her own voice. She has not been taken over by some supernatural entity. Whatever is going on the explanation is to be found in her own mind.

Bloody Australians, stealing other people’s accents.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 6:48 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Bloody Australians, stealing other people’s accents.

Nearly as bad as Queensland stealing Greg Inglis :lol:

6 hours ago, GoldenRabbit said:

Nearly as bad as Queensland stealing Greg Inglis :lol:

He was here, no one claimed him after 90 days. Fair’s fair :p