Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First-of-its-kind footage of large, deep-sea squids hunting

Still Waters

Just watched a documentary about this in which a research vessel hosted several scientists trying different methods to attract giant squid and although the article says this:

Interestingly, the encounters suggest strongly that the squid are visual hunters, ignoring olfactory bait that had been placed nearby in favor of visual signals.

One of the ways they successfully attracted them was by grinding dead giant squid into a liquid and using it like chum so they do use olfactory probably more for mating.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That was an awesome video...thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

What a great video, I'm glad I watched that

I like how those doodle bug critters on the ocean floor are about the same as on land, just a thousand times the size 

• Like 2

First of its kind video?  Starting at 38 seconds it's the exact same video as this one from 2 years ago...

Giant squid filmed in the Gulf of Mexico ( https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/328649/giant-squid-filmed-in-the-gulf-of-mexico )
6-23-2019

• Like 1

It's so eerie and monstrous how they just unfurl their tentacles like that. I love seeing it, from a safe distance of a few thousand miles.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Brymstone said:

First of its kind video?  Starting at 38 seconds it's the exact same video as this one from 2 years ago...

Giant squid filmed in the Gulf of Mexico ( https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/328649/giant-squid-filmed-in-the-gulf-of-mexico )
6-23-2019

Not to mention the date stamp ten seconds in says October 2013.  But hey! who cares?  It will always the first video taken of a giant squid (probably), even if it's being featured for the six hundredth time.

I'm more bothered by the lack of references by which to judge the scale.  Who here would know a giant squid from frozen squid rings?1  I'm not going to say 'all squid look the same to me' in case that's racist, but...  Scientists are always banging on about the importance of evidence, so it would be nice to see some here.  Perhaps next time they could get the squid to pose with a tape measure, or attack a nuclear submarine of known dimensions?2  Or better still, kill it and float it to the surface so we can all see for ourselves?

1 I mean from a photo.  Obviously they would look different in your freezer.

2 Just some suggestions.  I'm sure real scientists will come up with better ideas.

1 hour ago, Tom1200 said:

I'm more bothered by the lack of references by which to judge the scale.  Who here would know a giant squid from frozen squid rings?

I guess you didn't look at the other link in my OP.

Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers

Volume 172, June 2021

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0967063721000777

It's a long read but is full of information, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Utterly fascinating, our oceans.  They utterly dominate our wet planet and yet we humancentrists still call it Earth.

Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1