Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Philadelphia incinerated remains of police bombing victims without telling families

Grim Reaper 6

The public outcry over the handling of human remains retrieved from the ashes of the deadly 1985 bombing of a Black liberation organization in Philadelphia dramatically escalated on Thursday, with the revelation that the bones of an undisclosed number of Move victims were incinerated and dumped by the city without the knowledge or permission of living relatives.

Philadelphia incinerated remains of police bombing victims without telling families (msn.com)

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, susieice said:

I am glad they weren't destroyed, now hopefully they can identify who the remains belonged to so that those families will get some closure.

• Like 4

I remember when this happened but I don't remember all the details. I knew MOVE was considered a terrorist organization and had had firefights with police. I knew they had fired on police when they went to evict them. Police had evacuated the people living around the house because they thought MOVE would fire on them. It turned into a mini Waco before there was a WACO. Somebody decided to drop something on the house from a helicopter and the whole block burned down as a result. At the time, there was a lot of speculation as to how much ammunition and weapons were stored in the house. I don't think that was ever answered.

Here's the wiki about who MOVE was. It doesn't justify what the city did but I don't think they expected the conflagration that followed. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2