Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre discovery suggests pink drinks make people run faster

Still Waters

If you're going to gargle something next time you go for a run, here's some free advice: Try using a pink-colored drink. As strange as it sounds, pink drinks appear to be linked with enhanced running performance.

In a new study, scientists found that runners who rinsed their mouths with a pink-colored liquid solution – as opposed to a clear, identical-tasting one – ran for longer and at a faster average speed, while having a more enjoyable running experience too.

https://www.sciencealert.com/bizarre-discovery-suggests-pink-drinks-make-runners-faster-but-why

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2021.678105/full

• Like 1

Oh, oh, oh, it's magic! That placebo effect I mean.

This mechanism, the researchers suggest, is underpinned by a placebo effect, in which the runners may have expected to receive an energy boost from potential sugar/carbohydrate consumption in the sweet-tasting mouth rinse they used. (from the link)

Edited by Xeno-Fish
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Oh, oh, oh, it's magic! That placebo effect I mean.

image.png.976bd04448094720040ea6a03befe607.png

• Haha 3

Drink pink drinks and listen to the pink floyd and you will run like a cheetah.

Edited by jethrofloyd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Drink pink drinks and listen to the pink floyd and you will run like a cheetah.

Rather...Run Like Hell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, you can also give people different food coloring and they think it's different flavors, so yea

I think it's also due in part to the other being clear, as in, there's nothing noticeable in it. People just think it's water. When it's got a color to it, they think, "oh, there must be something in this!" 

Why do you think all the supplements on the market are all bright colors? Because no one would buy them if they were in their natural state lol

Edited by HandsomeGorilla

The only pink thing I remember drinking was liquid penicillin when I was a child. It tasted absolutely terrible.

Edited by fred_mc

There is no reason to doubt. We all know that red Ducatis are always faster than the black, white, grey and yellow ones.