Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Largest study of hunger in the UK released

Still Waters

New research released today sheds light on the groups of people across the UK who are disproportionately affected by hunger as well as the key drivers behind food bank use. Commissioned by the Trussell Trust and conducted by Heriot-Watt University, State of Hunger 2021 is the largest study of hunger in the UK to date.

Almost two in three (62%) of the people of working age who were referred to a food bank in early 2020 were disabled while single parent families were more likely to be forced to a food bank. Almost one in five (18%) households referred during the pandemic were lone parents—more than twice the rate in the general population (8%).

The research from the Institute for Social Policy, Housing, Equalities Research (I-SPHERE) which was led by Professor Glen Bramley also revealed extremely low income as a key factor in driving people to food banks.

https://phys.org/news/2021-05-largest-hunger-uk.html

https://www.trusselltrust.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/05/State-of-Hunger-2021-Report-Final.pdf

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

New research released today sheds light on the groups of people across the UK who are disproportionately affected by hunger as well as the key drivers behind food bank use. Commissioned by the Trussell Trust and conducted by Heriot-Watt University, State of Hunger 2021 is the largest study of hunger in the UK to date.

Almost two in three (62%) of the people of working age who were referred to a food bank in early 2020 were disabled while single parent families were more likely to be forced to a food bank. Almost one in five (18%) households referred during the pandemic were lone parents—more than twice the rate in the general population (8%).

The research from the Institute for Social Policy, Housing, Equalities Research (I-SPHERE) which was led by Professor Glen Bramley also revealed extremely low income as a key factor in driving people to food banks.

https://phys.org/news/2021-05-largest-hunger-uk.html

https://www.trusselltrust.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/05/State-of-Hunger-2021-Report-Final.pdf

No one goes hungry in the UK.

If they need it there are food banks available, a nice humiliating experience for them to motivate them to get jobs.

• Like 1

Balls. I ended up in hospital for not being able to get food whilst on £65pw Job Seekers Allowance. Welfare (TAP1) has been a disaster since the 80s. If you can't get an employer to give you a job your finished.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

If they need it there are food banks available, a nice humiliating experience for them to motivate them to get jobs.

Did you by any chance vote for Brexit? I just wondered..?

How did people survive before food banks?! :o

On 5/14/2021 at 12:17 PM, Cookie Monster said:

Do you know what disabled means?

Almost two in three (62%) of the people of working age who were referred to a food bank in early 2020 were disabled 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:13 AM, ethereal_scout said:

Balls. I ended up in hospital for not being able to get food whilst on £65pw Job Seekers Allowance.

anyone with a brain & a modicum of intelligence shouldn't go hungry in the UK- so why did you end up in hospital due to lack of food? there's more to it, isn't there-- be honest;)

You tried surviving off £65pw? Even in High School I knew that to be not enough for a family or working life - I used to cook food for the family - that was about £20 per day.

Anyway - Gas+Elecy+Phone=£20pw, leaving £45. Now barring in mind I need a car to work, how long can you survive of £45pw? Phone doesn't do the internet so how do you find a food bank?

I didn't.

Went into hospital at 9 stones. Came out 15 stones.

Most Countries welfare is usually minimum wage, which would be £250pw.

1 hour ago, ethereal_scout said:

You tried surviving off £65pw? Even in High School I knew that to be not enough for a family or working life - I used to cook food for the family - that was about £20 per day.

Anyway - Gas+Elecy+Phone=£20pw, leaving £45. Now barring in mind I need a car to work, how long can you survive of £45pw? Phone doesn't do the internet so how do you find a food bank?

I didn't.

What prevented you getting a job? 

There wasn't any work available. After hospital I was care of social services thereafter covid 19 came along. Car was off the road and had no money to get it back on the road. Now on medical welfare which means car back on the road and now waiting for Covid 19 to dissipate. Need my two jabs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

anyone with a brain & a modicum of intelligence shouldn't go hungry in the UK- so why did you end up in hospital due to lack of food? there's more to it, isn't there-- be honest;)

I must admit I struggle with the need for food banks in the UK.

Firstly, because we are a wealthy country.

Secondly, because we are supposed to have a social safety net. 

I have sometimes wondered whether there are political motivations similar to the "woke" stuff, a sort of protest - "look at us. we are starving because of bad governance!"

(I apologise to you, ethereal_scout, your personal experience hasn't been good.

10 hours ago, ted hughes said:

I have sometimes wondered whether there are political motivations similar to the "woke" stuff, a sort of protest - "look at us. we are starving because of bad governance!"

I agree - I thought there would have been protests or political parties jumping all over this but it hasn't happened. My only guess is that people are "turning the other cheek" and being grateful for anything.

21 minutes ago, ethereal_scout said:

I agree - I thought there would have been protests or political parties jumping all over this but it hasn't happened. My only guess is that people are "turning the other cheek" and being grateful for anything.

We have had over 10 years of Austerity imposed by the Tory Party (while their own snouts have been deep in the trough) yet the people who have suffered under it still "want to give the Tories a chance, for a change".

There have been people in Hartlepool, questioned after the recent local elections, blaming the Labour Party for the lack of investment.  I don't understand why people are so prepared to act against their own interests, and how they can be so unaware of what is happening.

Edited by ted hughes

13 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

I didn't.

Its £409 per month for a single person right now (housing costs, children, and others things are separate).

Lets assume you are talking about now (because if you weren`t then its even more hilarious). You say you are spending £20 per day on your food. Are you getting all your meals from Marks and Spencer or something? Are you drinking 12 cans of beer every night or smoking like a chimney? Are you having a take away each day? I mean, come on, £20 worth of food per day is a lot of food.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Lidl, Aldi, those are my supermarkets and my food bill without takeaway, cigs, and alcohol, is £30 PER WEEK. I`ve knocked off the takeaways, cigs, and alcohol, because if you are unemployed and think you are entitled to receive funding for these things off the tax payer then you need to return to reality.

I dont have gas and I pay electricity at 14p per KWH. Thats means if I run a 1000 watt microwave for an hour it costs me 14p. I pay £17.50 for my phone per month so we will call that £4 per week. What you got going on there? Is it your electricity or mobile phone costing you such much per week? Have you got a iphone on a £60 per month contract or something? You are clearly living beyond your means and in some kind of fantasy world.

The people that turn up at food banks are those who get hit by the benefit cap such as families with more than 2 young children.

11 hours ago, ted hughes said:

I must admit I struggle with the need for food banks in the UK.

Firstly, because we are a wealthy country.

Secondly, because we are supposed to have a social safety net. 

(I apologise to you, ethereal_scout, your personal experience hasn't been good.

Benefits are capped.

Universal Credit is only £90pw at the present because of covid 19, thereafter it'll be £70pw.

41 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

You say you are spending £20 per day on your food.

No - the was for the whole family, at least because I was cooking chinese and thats quite meat intensive. That was before I moved out to my own place.

£65 pw Job Seekers allowance is now £70pw Universal Credit. 

40 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Benefits are capped.

Yes, they are in law but theres no minimum in law - no-one gets anywhere near the cap.

Edited by ethereal_scout

7 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

Universal Credit is only £90pw at the present because of covid 19, thereafter it'll be £70pw.

No - the was for the whole family, at least because I was cooking chinese and thats quite meat intensive. That was before I moved out to my own place.

£65 pw Job Seekers allowance is now £70pw Universal Credit. 

Yes, they are in law but theres no minimum in law - no-one gets anywhere near the cap.

It went up £10 per month due to coronavirus.

I`m not surprised you cannot make ends meet if you are cooking expensive meals. They pay you money to eat, not to eat in luxury. You are getting money for 4 x £1 meals per day. And for your kids they pay you child benefit to feed and clothe them.

When not try the following

Breakfast - Boiled eggs and toast, or cereal and milk.

Lunch - Soup and bread, beans on toast, chips and sausages, noodles, microwave meal.

Tea - Pizza, curry/stewed steak and rice, drumsticks and chips, microwave meal, one person pudding.

Supper - Soup and bread, cup of hot chocolate.

Drinks - Water, milk, tea or coffee.

Weekly treats - Fry ups, bottle of alcohol or a couple of pints, pack of fags, bottle of pop, crisps or sweats of chocolate.

And instead of going for the top brands, get the super markets own brands. It is easy to eat well on £4 per person per day. I`m not unemployed, but my weekly food bill per person is £30 (and I`m on a decent wage too). I point blank refuse to pay 2x or 3x the price for something which is just as good as the other stuff from cheaper supermarkets. 

I mean come on, you can get 12 eggs for £1.09 and 5 pints milk for under £2, chips are equally as cheap if you buy a bag of them, even at Sainsburys/Tesco/Asda they do most microwave meals as a £1 version, etc, etc. And have you seen how cheap meat is and the quality of it if it comes from Aldi and Lidl?

If you look at the people who shop in each supermarket too you`ll notice the cheaper the supermarket the taller the people. Lidl is great, you can eat like a king there everyday and still only pay half a weekly shopping bill to Sainsburys. Although you will be assembling the meals yourself as its mostly the components of meals there. You wont be fat either doing that as its all the premade stuff that they load up with sugar.

Edited by Cookie Monster

Mince £1.50, tin tomatoes 30p, tin kidney beans 40p, mushrooms 50p, chillis 50p, onion 10p, rice 50p - that's a meal for 4 (2 adults, 2 children) - or 3 meals for a single person (freeze what you don't eat) - for less than £4 ..... (and note it includes your "5 a day").    Based on Aldi or similar prices - maybe slightly more depending on what is available but certainly less than a fiver.     

• Like 1

Fresh chicken £3, 2 packs fresh mince £3, bag potatoes £1.20, bag carrots 35p, brocoli 70p, bag frozen peas 80p, bag onions 80p, fresh mushrooms 70p, bag chillis 60p, 2 tins tomatoes 60p, tin baked beans 30p, tin chilli beans 40p, bag pasta 60p, bag rice £1, gravy granules 60p - that's more than enough for one person to have 7 wholesome main meals - including a Sunday roast - a week for less than £15

• Like 1

I'm on a roll ......

Now lets add teabags 50p, pint milk 50p, 2 loaves bread £1, spead 80p, jar jam/marmalade 60p, cheese £1.50, tin sardines 35p, 3 or 4 bananas 50p - plus the leftovers from the roast chicken .....   For about another fiver we now have enough for breadfast and lunch as well.   

Assume £3-£5 a week on toiletries and cleaning stuff (obviously you don;t need to buy deodorant or washing detergent every week!)    

Easy for one person to live on about £25 - and certainly £30 - a week and have a very healthy diet.   You could probably even squeeze in a bottle of wine or 8 cans of cheap beer!

• Like 1

Are people here actually living in the real world?  I mean I’m pretty certain at least some posters are adults that somehow manage to survive by budgeting their income.

I understand that the topic is about hunger and therefore there will be an urge to tunnel vision into just that, hunger and food.  But surely people realise food will not be the only financial pressure that a family might face?

So let’s look at that, basics first, You have food, sure.  Clothing and shoes are an essential, if you have children, you will know they have a tendency to grow and generally wear out clothes, not to mention school uniform, water, power, all essential.  Medical needs, dentist, eyesight, glasses.

Less essential, but still important:  Entertainment, so TV, broadband, phone.  These will eat money, but also toys if you have children.  Electronics, mobile, laptop/desktop.  Anyone on universal credit is likely not going to be able to buy any of these outright so will be paying monthly.  These items are important as everything these days is online, housing, done online, job seeking done online, registering to vote, online.  Also travel.  So car perhaps, not a new one of course maybe a banger that drinks fuel like a blue whale and needs a mechanic every other month, or instead public transport, £5 a day where I live to use the buses, if you have a school run on the bus that’s £25 per week, assuming your children are young enough to get free travel, then it’s an extra £2.

But then there’s the extra stuff.  These are the things that are going to be what generally forces someone to the food bank, the unexpected costs of life, essential home repairs, car repairs etc.

Add into that societal pressure to be living a certain way, applied 100fold if you have children observing how their peers and other parents live.  It’s a miserable existence, certainly not helped by people who in society who choose to look down on them.

3 hours ago, Essan said:

I'm on a roll ......

Now lets add teabags 50p, pint milk 50p, 2 loaves bread £1, spead 80p, jar jam/marmalade 60p, cheese £1.50, tin sardines 35p, 3 or 4 bananas 50p - plus the leftovers from the roast chicken .....   For about another fiver we now have enough for breadfast and lunch as well.   

Assume £3-£5 a week on toiletries and cleaning stuff (obviously you don;t need to buy deodorant or washing detergent every week!)    

Easy for one person to live on about £25 - and certainly £30 - a week and have a very healthy diet.   You could probably even squeeze in a bottle of wine or 8 cans of cheap beer!

Exactly, and he spends £20 making Chinese and wonders why he has no money.

Edited by Cookie Monster

8 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Exactly, and he spends £20 making Chinese and wonders why he has no money.

That was for a family of 6 - about 5 years before I was on my £65 per week dole.