Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Utah man stalked by a cougar during hike

Still Waters

Jared Smith was out on Broads Fork Trail in Big Cottonwood Canyon, Salt Lake City, Utah, yesterday (Thursday 13 May) when he was joined by the large cat.

It proceeded to tail him for the next five minutes, with Jared trying to appear both big and calm as he backpedalled and repeatedly said: "I'm going away, I promise I'm not going to bug you."

Somehow, he also managed to film at the same time, which is of course great news for us. See for yourself here:

https://www.ladbible.com/news/animals-man-chased-by-cougar-for-five-minutes-during-terrifying-hiking-ordeal-20210514

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/watch-man-stalked-by-cougar-while-on-big-cottonwood-canyon-hike

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It happens more than you might think though usually you don't  see your stalker.   Sometimes if you go back on the same trail, you will see their paw prints superimposed over your foot prints and that is the first indication you have of being tracked.  Maybe that is the difference between a cat being curious and one that is hungry or defending territory. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He stayed calm, which helped.  I probably would have been yelling my head off it.  

• Like 3

He may be right about the cubs. It's early spring and most wildlife is birthing it's young right now. She stayed on the path and made a ruckus so he would see her. It's a good thing he backed off and he's lucky she broke off the pursuit. I don't think I'd be going back there again so soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, glorybebe said:

He stayed calm, which helped.  I probably would have been yelling my head off it.  

Yelling can be good too, especially  if there are other humans around that might help.   At least that is what I have been told, never had to do it myself in my limited experience.

• Like 1

I have only seen cougars from the safety of my car, thank goodness!

• Like 1