Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Israel escalation puts new Gulf partners in diplomatic bind

Grim Reaper 6

Less than a year after signing normalisation agreements with Israel, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Sudan and Morocco have been forced to change course and turn to critical rhetoric. They were struck at the urging of then US president Donald Trump, who hailed the "dawn of a new Middle East" as his son-in-law and advisor Jared Kushner dismissed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as a mere "real estate dispute". King Salman of Saudi Arabia has voiced "strong condemnation of the Israeli measures in Jerusalem and the acts of violence carried out by Israel", and stressed his country "stands by the Palestinian people".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/israel-escalation-puts-new-gulf-partners-in-diplomatic-bind/ar-BB1gKEzM

• Like 1

I don't think anybody who understands the basics of this conflict ever thought the Abraham Accord meant the Arab Muslims had suddenly developed a love for their Jewish cousins.  The leaders of these states understand that Israel is not nor ever has been their primary worry on an existential level.  Iran, OTOH, IS such a worry and they know that without having the IDF on their side, they'll simply have to bend the knee for the Mullahs. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't think anybody who understands the basics of this conflict ever thought the Abraham Accord meant the Arab Muslims had suddenly developed a love for their Jewish cousins.  The leaders of these states understand that Israel is not nor ever has been their primary worry on an existential level.  Iran, OTOH, IS such a worry and they know that without having the IDF on their side, they'll simply have to bend the knee for the Mullahs. 

I think it plainly States that this conflict which was initiated by Israel, has destroyed the Abraham Accord. It clearly shows that Arab Blood is more important than any agreement made with Israel. It appears that Trump and Netanyahu both under estimated the Arabs by thinking they could by pass any agreements with the Palestinians and get other Arab Nations to sign a peace agreements with Israel. This is the result of that miscalculation and it will not end well for any Nation in the end. The Status Quo will not be reestablished this time and the net result will 100s of dead women and children, which is very sad.:(

• Like 4

Figured some more quotes from the link would be useful.

""These statements are largely intended as a public relations exercise towards a domestic and regional Arab audience that continues to overwhelmingly support the Palestinians," Elham Fakhro, an analyst at the Crisis Group think tank, told AFP."

And there is this also from the link.

""Is the UAE prepared to put its relations with Israel on the line for the sake of the Palestinians? The answer appears to be 'no' at present," he said, pointing to gains such as technology partnerships and access to military hardware from the US.

"Given the deep bilateral interest that underpin normalisation for Israel and the UAE, escalation in Palestine is probably at most a speed bump, not a brick wall.""

Seems safe to say this current flare up hasnt and isnt going to destroy the Abraham accords.  While the various Arab countries have to condemn what's going on as its expected of them from their population the fact still remains that the leadership of the Arab countries generally dont care that much for Palestinians, especially since a lot of the Palestinian groups have aligned themselves with Iran.

• Like 2

As Arab world rallies around Palestinians and bloodshed mounts, Trump-era peace deals fade from view

ISTANBUL —The videos from East Jerusalem showing Israeli police violently arresting Palestinian protesters were galvanizing the Arab world, evoking sympathy and long-standing anger over injustice, dispossession and unequal treatment. The accords, which were signed last year under the Trump administration, were “predicated on a sense that Palestinians aren’t mobilizing,” which allowed signatories to conclude agreements that might otherwise have sparked a public backlash, said Tareq Baconi, an analyst with the International Crisis Group. 

As a result, demonstrations in solidarity with Palestinians have been held across the region, including in Bahrain and Morocco, two of the countries that signed diplomatic deals with Israel. In Saudi Arabia, which has recently hinted at warming relations with Israel as they both confront Iran, a common adversary, there was a sudden shift of tone in pro-government newspapers. Even so, the current bloodshed may have left the Abraham Accords signatories feeling exposed.

Days after the publication of the optimistic article by the UAE’s ambassador to Israel, Mohamed al-Khaja, his government struck a much harsher tone, a sign it could no longer appear to be indifferent to the mounting anger.

As Arab world rallies around Palestinians and bloodshed mounts, Trump-era peace deals fade from view (msn.com)

The Abraham Accords have already become a Middle East afterthought

In this maelstrom, even the Arab countries that normalized relations with Israel are loosening their embrace. Both the UAE and Bahrain condemned Israel’s storming of the al-Aqsa Mosque, considered the third holiest site in Islam, this past weekend, as well as its moves to kick dozens of Palestinians out of their homes in Sheikh Jarrah. Social media in both countries saw a surge of hashtags in support of their Arab compatriots in the Jerusalem neighborhood.

Following a virtual meeting of the foreign ministers of the Arab League on Tuesday, Morocco’s top diplomat condemned the “hateful” rhetoric and actions of the far-right Jewish groups involved in the violence in Jerusalem. The bloc, long derided for inaction, said it would exert more pressure on behalf of Palestinians at the United Nations and at the International Criminal Court, whose chief prosecutor in March launched a formal investigation into alleged Israeli war crimes in the occupied territories. 

Now, though, thanks in part to provocations from the ascendant Israeli far right and what Jerusalem-based journalist Noga Tarnopolsky described as Netanyahu’s opportunism, the plight of the Palestinians is front and center in the global political conversation. “You have to wonder why would Israel turn the dormant Palestinian issue into a raging crisis,” observed Vali Nasr of the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University. “Israel’s entire strategy with Abraham Accords was based on the argument that the Palestinian issue was no longer relevant. Now thanks to a series of Israeli mistakes it is back in force.”

@DarkHunter Thanks for adding the information above I appreciate it.

Edited by Manwon Lender

If the other countries were so concerned about the Palestinians, why haven't they offered them a homeland or assistance. Instead of using them as pawns.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, weaselrunner said:

If the other countries were so concerned about the Palestinians, why haven't they offered them a homeland or assistance. Instead of using them as pawns.

Thank you for this very sane post.

• Like 2

The Europeans should think twice when being political correct concerning the way Israel is acting now.

It were the Europeans and the Russians who wanted to get rid of those damn Jews.

They accused the Jews of all kinds of insane acts, like eating children, just to have an excuse to kill them off.

Yeah, "the Jews killed Jesus". No, the Romans did, because Pilatus was afraid to loose control in the eyes of his caesar.

And then that insane Austrian and failed artist appealed to the hatred of all Europeans to irradicate the Jews.

And so it happened: after WWII the surviving Jews went back to what they considered to be their original homeland: Israel.

They had no other place to go to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I think it plainly States that this conflict which was initiated by Israel, has destroyed the Abraham Accord.

My statement stands.  The Arabs in these gulf states have never changed their opinions of Jews but as we all know, their opinion means very little to a leadership that fears its own annihilation at the hands of Shia Iran thugs.  Either way, it doesn't matter long-term.  That region seems destined to set the whole planet on fire at some point.  The Biden regime may just speed up the process.  

ETA:

Israel launched no missiles nor did they begin bombarding Gaza before the Hamas did.  If you consider that Israelis clamping down on protests in their own nation is sufficient cause for what the Hamas did then the bias is too strong to discuss it with you sensibly.  The Hamas took their people to war and now those people will suffer for it.  Israel owes no one an apology.  They REACTED, they did not initiate this chaos.

Edited by and then
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, and then said:

My statement stands.  The Arabs in these gulf states have never changed their opinions of Jews but as we all know, their opinion means very little to a leadership that fears its own annihilation at the hands of Shia Iran thugs.  Either way, it doesn't matter long-term.  That region seems destined to set the whole planet on fire at some point.  The Biden regime may just speed up the process.  

ETA:

Israel launched no missiles nor did they begin bombarding Gaza before the Hamas did.  If you consider that Israelis clamping down on protests in their own nation is sufficient cause for what the Hamas did then the bias is too strong to discuss it with you sensibly.  The Hamas took their people to war and now those people will suffer for it.  Israel owes no one an apology.  They REACTED, they did not initiate this chaos.

You right Israel did not fire a single round first. However, they still caused this conflict to occur, and they did so by following President Trumps lead, and by trying to make peace with the Arab World without including the Palestinians in that peace. Either you are not willing to understand this, or you disregard it as unimportant. Either way you are blinded and do not see clearly what has been occurring for 50 years. Your grand view that Israel never does any wrong is an old song that has been played far to long. As much as Israel deserves its freedom, the same go's for the Palestinians. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 3:23 AM, DarkHunter said:

Figured some more quotes from the link would be useful.

""These statements are largely intended as a public relations exercise towards a domestic and regional Arab audience that continues to overwhelmingly support the Palestinians," Elham Fakhro, an analyst at the Crisis Group think tank, told AFP."

And there is this also from the link.

""Is the UAE prepared to put its relations with Israel on the line for the sake of the Palestinians? The answer appears to be 'no' at present," he said, pointing to gains such as technology partnerships and access to military hardware from the US.

"Given the deep bilateral interest that underpin normalisation for Israel and the UAE, escalation in Palestine is probably at most a speed bump, not a brick wall.""

Seems safe to say this current flare up hasnt and isnt going to destroy the Abraham accords.  While the various Arab countries have to condemn what's going on as its expected of them from their population the fact still remains that the leadership of the Arab countries generally dont care that much for Palestinians, especially since a lot of the Palestinian groups have aligned themselves with Iran.

And who are they (my bold in red):

International Crisis Group

Non-profit
image.jpeg.e2a04d0433e81dc032ed197a270b1d73.jpeg

The International Crisis Group is a transnational non-profit, non-governmental organisation founded in 1995. It is a think tank, used by policymakers and academics, performing research and analysis on global crises. Wikipedia
Formation: 1995

Take a look at who the founders are.  They are themselves prominent Jews or prominent friends of Israel.  A more independent voice is needed for clarity on the current motivations and sympathies of the Arab leaders wrt the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

Edited by Wistman
  • Like 1

The Zionist thugs ain't doing themselves any favors...

23 hours ago — In 2014, Palestinian rights group Al Haq said “ indiscriminate attacks on media buildings have been a significant ...

5 hours ago — Israel Strikes Gaza Tower Housing A.P. and Other News Media ... in which he vowed to continue attacks on Hamas until Israel's security is guaranteed.

23 hours ago — In the latest in a series of attacks, an Israeli airstrike ... The Associated Press and Al-Jazeera— and residential apartments.

2 days ago — In occupied East Jerusalem on May 7 and 10, Israeli security forces fired rubber bullets and injured at least eight ...

3 days ago — Journalists with Israel's public broadcaster Kan News were attacked by Jewish extremists in Tel Aviv on Thursday amid ...

24 hours ago — Committee to Protect Journalists Executive Director Joel Simon said this attack "raises the spectre that the Israel Defense ...

~

Edited by third_eye
Edit
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Pro-tip: Do not rent office space next to terrorists

It IS rather a simple concept that proves WAAAY too difficult for some entities.  It's right up there next to, "if you don't want your neighborhood wrecked by flying munitions, DON'T SHOOT AT CIVILIANS..."

Edited by and then

1 hour ago, and then said:

It IS rather a simple concept that proves WAAAY too difficult for some entities.  It's right up there next to, "if you don't want your neighborhood wrecked by flying munitions, DON'T SHOOT AT CIVILIANS..."

Over 100 dead Palestinians, among them 31 children.

Children definitely are civilians. 

Let me guess: if a Palestinian child doesn't want to be killed, they shouldn't live near their parents. 

And then you'll wonder why no one buys that revolting hypocrisy you're peddling. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Over 100 dead Palestinians, among them 31 children.

Children definitely are civilians. 

Let me guess: if a Palestinian child doesn't want to be killed, they shouldn't live near their parents. 

And then you'll wonder why no one buys that revolting hypocrisy you're peddling. 

You do know a decent percentage of those killed children were killed by Hamas directly from rockets that misfired and only traveled about 50 meters to 100 meters before impacting and taking out some house in Gaza.

On average between 20% to 33% of the rockets Hamas fires fail and impact in Gaza.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Where I'm from, Auntie, we call statements like mine O P I N I O N S.  People are free to agree or disagree.  When one entity launches weapons randomly into civilian areas, they are responsible for what comes next.  I don't recall ever hearing you shed tears for dead Israelis... 

9 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

You do know a decent percentage of those killed children were killed by Hamas directly from rockets that misfired and only traveled about 50 meters to 100 meters before impacting and taking out some house in Gaza.

On average between 20% to 33% of the rockets Hamas fires fail and impact in Gaza.

You do know that even if the most biased source there could be was telling the truth, it still doesn't give anyone right to kill the majority of now dead children. 

You also know they died because Bibi needs a war to stay in power.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

Dershowitz coined a phrase that fits this perfectly - THE DEAD BABY STRATEGY.  These Arab Muslims who are at war with Jews because they are breathing, deserve no sympathy and no quarter.  

2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

You do know that even if the most biased source there could be was telling the truth, it still doesn't give anyone right to kill the majority of now dead children. 

I only know of about 10 children confirmed to of been killed by Israeli airstrikes, could be higher, but accidents do happen in war especially when one side purposefully uses civilians, especially children, as a shield for their military equipment and personnel.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

So, the Hamas volunteers to help him in this by firing missiles at Israeli civilians?  Or do they simply not matter because they live on land that Muslims claim?  

6 minutes ago, and then said:

Where I'm from, Auntie, we call statements like mine O P I N I O N S.  People are free to agree or disagree.  When one entity launches weapons randomly into civilian areas, they are responsible for what comes next.  I don't recall ever hearing you shed tears for dead Israelis... 

Apparently, where you're from, crocodile tears over dead Israelis are mandatory. Well, they're aren't in my neck of woods. In my part of the world, it's assumed that all victims, particularly civilian victims, in any conflict, are mourned. No disgusting "reasoning" why their deaths were their own fault.  

So if you want to fake moral or ethics, try posing as if you understand that Palestinians are people too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Helen of Annoy said:

So if you want to fake moral or ethics,

Feel free to educate me by posting examples of your outrage or sympathy for dead Israelis.  I'll be happy to withdraw my accusation.  The bottom line is that the IDF did not begin firing randomly at civilian targets in Gaza.  I'd say the crocodile tears are mostly coming from Jew haters that take any excuse to blame Israel for a conflict that has TWO SIDES.  Spare me your righteous indignation.  We're all out of credulity for it.

2 minutes ago, and then said:

So, the Hamas volunteers to help him in this by firing missiles at Israeli civilians?  Or do they simply not matter because they live on land that Muslims claim?  

You're not able to discuss that situation on a level higher than screeching the irrationally biased propaganda.  

But I must clarify for you that "Muslims" - Palestinians, that is - were there when a bunch of arrogant western *******s decided they can treat an inhabited land as if it belongs to them. 

Leave me alone now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3