Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Cabinet Office blocks publication of Lord Mountbatten’s diaries

Still Waters

When the diaries and letters of Lord and Lady Mountbatten were “saved for the nation” in 2010, it should have created an invaluable public resource. Instead, a writer has spent four years and £250,000 of his own money in an ongoing – but still frustrated – attempt to force Southampton University and the Cabinet Office to allow the public to view them.

The university bought the Broadlands archive, named after the Mountbattens’ Grade I-listed house, for £2.8m in 2010, attracting funding by stating it would “preserve the collection in its entirety for future generations to use and enjoy” and “ensure public access”.

However, Andrew Lownie, the author of a 2019 book about the Mountbattens, has been fighting unsuccessfully since 2017 for their correspondence and diaries to be released. This is despite freedom of information (FoI) requests and an order by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) that the material be released.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/15/cabinet-office-blocks-publication-of-lord-mountbattens-diaries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ouija ouija

When they are finally forced to produce them, what's the betting they will be 'lost'? Someone has already stashed them away as a very nice pension.

Ozymandias

What could be in them that the public ought not see? 

ouija ouija
18 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Possibly just lots of non-PC personal thoughts.

Ozymandias
3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Possibly just lots of non-PC personal thoughts.

Yes, Ouija, I've no doubt you are right, but it would make entertaining reading. I suppose enough time has not passed to be exposing private communications between Mountbatten and his wife.

ouija ouija
12 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Yes, Ouija, I've no doubt you are right, but it would make entertaining reading. I suppose enough time has not passed to be exposing private communications between Mountbatten and his wife.

I agree, it would make entertaining reading but it would be another blow against the royal family and their circle . . . . . showing them up for what they are. If the queen is to be replaced in the not-to-distant future they won't want her replacement to be shown in a bad light.

• Like 1

ted hughes
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Possibly nothing.  It has been said that the threat of "selling" papers is just a way of establishment families raising funds, donated unwittingly by the tax payer. It was said about  Winston Churchill's papers, which were "bought" by the nation for £12.5 million while already arguably being owned by the nation: Public dismay at Churchill papers sale | The Independent | The Independent

Edited by ted hughes
  • Sad 1