Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

National Decertification Index (NDI) for Police

Vorg

There is a Justice Department-funded police misconduct registry called the National Decertification Index (NDI). The NDI lists over 30,000 officer decertification's, which means states have deemed them ineligible to serve as a police officer. It does not track officers accused of misconduct.

But the database is not public, so people in general don't know it exists if they're not in the law enforcement community. Even some of those in the community either don't agree with the current process of the database or simply just do not support it. There's also nothing mandating every state to contribute to it, so there are still some officers who fall through the cracks.

Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, told CNN it shouldn't matter how departments are doing economically. Ultimately, he said, the department will pay the price for hiring a bad officer.

"There's no excuse for the kind of sloppy recruiting that goes on in the United States today and our membership is well aware of it and incensed over it," he said.

There's a database whose mission is to stop problematic police officers from hopping between departments. But many agencies don't know it exists (msn.com)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This sounds like a good thing so long as officers are ONLY added to the list once accusations have been proven.  These large, primarily Blue cities are already hemorrhaging cops.  Crime rates are soaring  across the board and the innocent are paying the price for political posturing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, and then said:

This sounds like a good thing so long as officers are ONLY added to the list once accusations have been proven.  These large, primarily Blue cities are already hemorrhaging cops.  Crime rates are soaring  across the board and the innocent are paying the price for political posturing.

I agree. Some people are under the assumption a Police Officer can do no wrong, and with over 30,000 decertification's this proves them wrong. Even the FOP is onboard and that is nice to see.

• Like 1

A lot of people aren't cut out to be cops and it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad people. Military training is a mixed blessing for instance, transitioning from military to police. They can bring a lot of emotional baggage with them from combat experience and even their military training can pose problems. In the infantry, you are trained to react, instantly, to the threat of lethal force with decisive lethal force and can lead to false assessments and excessive amounts of rounds be discharged. This is not to say there aren't a lot of bad people who should never have been cops in the first place, mind.

Military to Police Force: A Natural Transition? | Military.com

• Like 3

18 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I agree. Some people are under the assumption a Police Officer can do no wrong, and with over 30,000 decertification's this proves them wrong. Even the FOP is onboard and that is nice to see.

They are certainly misguided.  Cops are people, and people make mistakes and are sometimes bad people.   

On the flip side are the people who think all cops are bad.   There are 700,000 police officers in the USA, and it is a very small percent that are bad just like most groups of people.   The issue as I see it is accountability.  They are corrupt in how they police themselves.  I put that on the mayors of cities.  The police chief reports to the mayor and if the mayor really wanted change, he/she would not continue to be in bed with the union and fix the issue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

They are certainly misguided.  Cops are people, and people make mistakes and are sometimes bad people.   

On the flip side are the people who think all cops are bad.   There are 700,000 police officers in the USA, and it is a very small percent that are bad just like most groups of people.   The issue as I see it is accountability.  They are corrupt in how they police themselves.  I put that on the mayors of cities.  The police chief reports to the mayor and if the mayor really wanted change, he/she would not continue to be in bed with the union and fix the issue.

I 100% agree. They work for cities and municipalities and should be held accountable to such.

• Like 1