Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we hate the sound of our own voices?

Still Waters

It is interesting that we do not hear our voice when we speak as the world hears it, nor do we 'see' ourselves when we look in the mirror as the world sees us.  Illusions of the inner sanctum of our minds.   I see myself in the mirror and I think...you don't look that bad.  Then I see myself in a video and I think...damn son, you are butt ugly!  But I have gotten use to hearing my voice recorded.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, joc said:

It is interesting that we do not hear our voice when we speak as the world hears it, nor do we 'see' ourselves when we look in the mirror as the world sees us.  Illusions of the inner sanctum of our minds.   I see myself in the mirror and I think...you don't look that bad.  Then I see myself in a video and I think...damn son, you are butt ugly!  But I have gotten use to hearing my voice recorded.

:unsure2: You look like a butt?

I guess we should be grateful for what we've got.

Edited by Dreamer screamer
  • Haha 4

I think the discomfort is not hate of our own voice, just surprise that it sound differently from outside our heads than from inside.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I agree with Desertrat. I like the sound of my own voice :lol: (no rude comments, please), but it is always a surprise when I hear it recorded(which happens very rarely).

• Like 3

Well, the talking version of the Papameter uses James Earl Jones' voice.

• Haha 7

A long time ago some relatives of ours emigrated to Australia. One Christmas my parents thought it would be a nice idea for each of us to record a message to send to them, we'd already had one from them and wanted to send one back.

So we all took it in turns to make our own recordings, but when I listened to mine afterwards I thought I sounded awful. Nothing has really changed since then, I still don't like hearing myself speak.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I wonder do singers like their own voice?

Some egocentrics may be, but most of the singers don't. Meaning, they don't shudder at the sound of their "external" voice, they are quite used to hear and objectively judge it, but they still tend to think it generally sucks. As a musician and singer myself having musician/singer friends, I'm speaking from experience.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, joc said:

Right there withya!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

Some egocentrics may be, but most of the singers don't. Meaning, they don't shudder at the sound of their "external" voice, they are quite used to hear and objectively judge it, but they still tend to think it generally sucks. As a musician and singer myself having musician/singer friends, I'm speaking from experience.

I actually like the sound of my voice recorded.  Maybe I've gotten use to it...I don't really see myself as egocentric.  But...pfffft...maybe I am...that's kind of another one of those things that seems different in our own mind than other follks.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I agree with Desertrat. I like the sound of my own voice :lol:

.....and don't we know it!

no rude comments, please

Oops! :blush:

• Haha 4

I don't hate the sound of my voice but when I hear it when I am talking it sounds lower than when I hear a recording, though I do sound almost exactly like 2 of my cousins.   So I am used to it.  At least it is not in the very high registers that my sister-in-law uses.  I always thought it was an affectation and wondered why any grown woman would want to keep a little girl voice (especially as annoying as hers is) and I was proven right when she happened to get really angry one day and use her normal voice.   I don't want her out of control angry like that but I wish she would talk in her normal voice all the time.

• Like 3

After hearing my own voice a few times, I can honestly say that I sound like a redneck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't hate the sound of my voice but when I hear it when I am talking it sounds lower than when I hear a recording, though I do sound almost exactly like 2 of my cousins.   So I am used to it.  At least it is not in the very high registers that my sister-in-law uses.  I always thought it was an affectation and wondered why any grown woman would want to keep a little girl voice (especially as annoying as hers is) and I was proven right when she happened to get really angry one day and use her normal voice.   I don't want her out of control angry like that but I wish she would talk in her normal voice all the time.

I have mentioned this before in other threads, the fact that so many American women speak like little girls . . . weird.

I was taken aback at how thin and weak my voice sounds(I would like to say ethereal! :P). I know I speak quietly but it was still a shock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I have mentioned this before in other threads, the fact that so many American women speak like little girls . . . weird.

I was taken aback at how thin and weak my voice sounds(I would like to say ethereal! :P). I know I speak quietly but it was still a shock.

I have a loud voice and when I am stressed I feel my vocal chords tighten so I know my voice is getting higher in pitch.   My normal singing voice is alto but I don't think I sound like an alto when I talk even when I am not stressed.   My sister-in-law keeps her voice so high it hurts my ears, and it is more annoying because it is not natural.  That may be the reason dogs don't like her.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 3

People on the phone will sometimes ask to speak to my mommy when I answer it. :P But....in person, I have a loud commanding voice that projects extremely well depending on the situation. Having grown up the youngest of four and working with mostly men in our business, it became natural years ago if I want to be heard.

• Like 2

I agree with Desertrat. I like the sound of my own voice :lol: (no rude comments, please), but it is always a surprise when I hear it recorded(which happens very rarely).

I don't like to make voicemail messages. :lol:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

After hearing my own voice a few times, I can honestly say that I sound like a redneck. 

You are from the south aren't you?

39 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

South Carolina.

You probably don't sound like a  redneck, you just sound like a southerner.

Edited by Desertrat56

I sound like a twelve year old. I hate it . I try to deepen my voice when speaking to others except my family. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

You probably don't sound like a  redneck, you just sound like a southerner.

Suhthern Axcent. Becaws thars a beair ohver theair. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3