Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we hate the sound of our own voices?

Still Waters

1 minute ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Suhthern Axcent. Becaws thars a beair ohver theair. 

as opposed to the Ohio accent "you'uns want some dinner?"  or New Mexico, "Ijola! get down from the car now." (ee ho la for anyone who does not read spanish)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

as opposed to the Ohio accent "you'uns want some dinner?"  or New Mexico, "Ijola! get down from the car now." (ee ho la for anyone who does not read spanish)

Expectation: Matthew Mcconaughey.

Reality: Jeff Foxworthy. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Reality: Jeff Foxworthy. 

We had a Yankee friend that worked at our shop for many years. He'd get the phone out of my hand when I was talking to suppliers up north. He'd yell and cuss, but by gawd we got the stuff we needed ASAP. Didn't take me long to learn when it came to people paying their bills either. :D

I sort of like my singing voice...but my speaking voice sounds like a little kid.  ! :huh:

For me, it's not the pitch of my recorded voice that bugs me. It's the nasalness. If I force myself into a lower pitch and speak sort of from the back of my throat, it becomes almost acceptable.

I think it might be the quality of the recording equipment. I have heard my voice as I hear it, and the weird way too.

I heard someone once say my voice sounded like a mix of two movie stars, and that is the way I hear my voice, and on recording it sounds nothing like those two stars.

Done interview of farmers in central America for my master, was not able to listen and write back the interview, was to horrible... paid someone i didn't know to do it, lol !

• Haha 1

Im not sure i know my real voice, i have been told both "you sound southern" and you dont sound southern, ive been told i sound like Elvis or Sam Elliot

I used to hang with redneck buddies who had no accents and didnt sound like cletus hicks, but i know that way of talking.

if i hang with a person who has an accent i will parrot it, its funny like when i worked with a cat from the deep Louisiana bayou,

i can mimic many cartoons or actors and if doing mic MC work i get told that it doesnt sound like me over the mic a hugh plus.

• Like 2

I hate mine. I have family from all over, but was born and raised in South Carolina, so I might say things a certain way and people here are just like wtf? I guess I have kind of a blend, and southern people often ask where I'm from, whereas people not from the south know I'm from the south

I've been in south carolina all my life and still can't understand a lot of people... 

Seems like younger generations have weaker and weaker accents, a lot of them just sound very ambiguous 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla

17 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I have mentioned this before in other threads, the fact that so many American women speak like little girls . . . weird.

I was taken aback at how thin and weak my voice sounds(I would like to say ethereal! :P). I know I speak quietly but it was still a shock.

Please post a recording of yourself reciting The Raven.   We need to hear that!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

My Aunt and Uncle and Cousins lived in New Mexico...but my Aunt was raised in Ohio and my Uncle in Arkansas.  

They all say You'uns!   

14 hours ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Suhthern Axcent. Becaws thars a beair ohver theair. 

Redneck accent:  Hey ya'll, sorry I'm runnin' late.  Some of my fence was on the ground and I drove over some of the bob war....then after I fixed the flat tar, I had to turn around cuz there was a big ole grass far.  But I'm fixin' to be on my way.  Just stopped for a secunt to have a beer at the bar.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joc said:

Redneck accent:  Hey ya'll, sorry I'm runnin' late.  Some of my fence was on the ground and I drove over some of the bob war....then after I fixed the flat tar, I had to turn around cuz there was a big ole grass far.  But I'm fixin' to be on my way.  Just stopped for a secunt to have a beer at the bar.

I'ma run'n layt. That would be moor ack-q-ite.

• Haha 2

I never thought my voice sounded bad until I heard it recorded for the first time.   I have a husky voice for a female and I dislike it.  Lived in OH for most of my life so I also have that midwestern accent as well.   

25 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

I'ma run'n layt. That would be moor ack-q-ite.

Well, ya know, thars kind of a diffrence in East Texus rednecks.  We rope goats and stuff.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, lightly said:

I sort of like my singing voice...but my speaking voice sounds like a little kid.  ! :huh:

If you really want to hear yourself the way you really sound ...cup your hands over your ears with your thumbs on the back of your ears.  Talk in a normal voice or better yet...sing!

Now you can really  h e a r   yourself! 

image.jpeg.601c998c3ee7bb48b9676c6484d1fa56.jpeg

• Like 1

And now... Your complete attention... 

[00.01:41]

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, joc said:

Well, ya know, thars kind of a diffrence in East Texus rednecks.  We rope goats and stuff.

O-possum wrasslin' round hur.

• Haha 2

Sounds pretty normal to me.

• Like 1

Regional accents are great !  I love hearing the differences around this country .   Sad they are fading away, very slowly.

i've been told by southerners that I ,in N. MI. ,sound like a Canadian.     

Just now, lightly said:

Regional accents are great !  I love hearing the differences around this country .   Sad they are fading away, very slowly.

i've been told by southerners that I ,in N. MI. ,sound like a Canadian.     

My friend from Denver has the same accent as my friend from Quebec, though my friend from Quebec's accent is less noticeable.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

My friend from Denver has the same accent as my friend from Quebec, though my friend from Quebec's accent is less noticeable.   

Hmm,  seems odd, maybe the Denver friend is the grandson of a French Canadian fur trapper... From Quebec. ? :P

isn't French the provincial language due Quebec?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, lightly said:

Hmm,  seems odd, maybe the Denver friend is the grandson of a French Canadian fur trapper... From Quebec. ? :P

isn't French the provincial language due Quebec?

No, my friend from Quebec spoke French at home and went to an english school so her accent is just Canadian english, or maybe northern American english.   If people don't know she if from Canada they think she is from one of the north western states.  There is a definite accent for those on the North east coast.  You can almost tell what state they are from even though those states are small and crammed with people.   But I did notice that the accents all over the U.S. have become more homogenized since the 70's.  I heard my daughter's boss from Boston not long ago when he was doing a zoom meeting and I happened to be visiting her, he is from Boston but the accent is barely discernible.  In the 70's I knew two people from Boston and I could not figure out a lot of what they said because they never used the letter R  (for example Carl was pronounced Cal).   And I was told that for a Mexican, my english was pretty good from some guy from Rhode Island that no one could understand.  Not only did the guy speak horrible english, he didn't know basic U.S. geography  :lol:

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2021 at 2:53 PM, joc said:

It is interesting that we do not hear our voice when we speak as the world hears it, nor do we 'see' ourselves when we look in the mirror as the world sees us.  Illusions of the inner sanctum of our minds.   I see myself in the mirror and I think...you don't look that bad.  Then I see myself in a video and I think...damn son, you are butt ugly!  But I have gotten use to hearing my voice recorded.

Aye!   When I look in the mirror I see Brad Pitt staring back.   When I see myself on TV I look more like Danny DeVito.   And sound like Joe Pasquale :o 

• Haha 4

On 5/17/2021 at 4:47 PM, Xeno-Fish said:

South Carolina.

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[28][29] Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.[30]

Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville [North Carolina]".[11][29]

Wikipedia

• Thanks 1