Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Red Jacket's Medal Returned

Trelane

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/red-jacket-medals-long-journey-ends-at-seneca-museum/article_e58abce0-b653-11eb-9765-dfb7bd73568c.html

"It's been a long journey for the Red Jacket Medal."

"The symbol of peace between the Iroquois Confederacy and the new United States first passed through the hands of President George Washington during its 1792 bestowal upon Chief Red Jacket, the Seneca statesman. Then various members of the chief's family and descendants served as caretakers, including Col. Ely S. Parker, the famous Seneca who was Civil War adjutant and secretary to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant."

Some local history that I had been unaware of until I read this article. @Piney, didn't know if you had seen this yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I remember reading about the Illinois and the Iroquois.  I wrote a song once mentioning them...but I digress.  As I recall the Iroquois were incredibly savage when it came to prisoners.  You did not want to be taken prisoner by the Iroquois.   They would tie you to a stake or a tree and cut off pieces of your body and eat them in front of you.  If memory serves me correctly they were also rivals of the Illinois.  

Never heard of the Red Jacket Medal...but thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, joc said:

I remember reading about the Illinois and the Iroquois.  I wrote a song once mentioning them...but I digress.  As I recall the Iroquois were incredibly savage when it came to prisoners.  You did not want to be taken prisoner by the Iroquois.   They would tie you to a stake or a tree and cut off pieces of your body and eat them in front of you.  If memory serves me correctly they were also rivals of the Illinois.  

Never heard of the Red Jacket Medal...but thanks for sharing!

The Illini were a Algonquian tribe closely related to the Kickapu and Shawnee and they were all enemies of the Iroquois Confed at one time or another. The Ojibway, Mohican and Munsee were also beating them up before the Great Dying. 

5 hours ago, Trelane said:

Some local history that I had been unaware of until I read this article. @Piney, didn't know if you had seen this yet.

Yup, I've seen it. But I still have a "hate on" Indians excepting the Mexican loggers who work for my bestie. So I'm really not interested enough to post much of what I read. 

• Thanks 2