Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ransomware Attacks

Ozymandias

The Irish health service has been hacked and crippled by international hackers who are holding the Irish government to ransom. It is alleged that the hackers are Russian and want €20 million to unencrypt its health service databases and not dump the private medical records of millions of Irish people onto the Dark Web. It seems we did not anticipated such an attack and were unprepared for it, but I am happy we are not paying the ransom.

Irish ransomware attack to cost health service tens of millions of euros (msn.com)

The Irish government have gone quiet in order to deny feedback to the attackers via the media. It is alleged that the Russian government have pledged to help find the hackers (but I won't hold my breath). I know it is a bit late to be closing the stable door when the horse has bolted, but, at the very least, Ireland needs to put serious money into establishing better protections and countries need to collaborate more to defeat these people. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

The Irish health service has been hacked and crippled by international hackers who are holding the Irish government to ransom. It is alleged that the hackers are Russian and want €20 million to unencrypt its health service databases and not dump the private medical records of millions of Irish people onto the Dark Web. It seems we did not anticipated such an attack and were unprepared for it, but I am happy we are not paying the ransom.

Irish ransomware attack to cost health service tens of millions of euros (msn.com)

The Irish government have gone quiet in order to deny feedback to the attackers via the media. It is alleged that the Russian government have pledged to help find the hackers (but I won't hold my breath). I know it is a bit late to be closing the stable door when the horse has bolted, but, at the very least, Ireland needs to put serious money into establishing better protections and countries need to collaborate more to defeat these people. 

This should be a warning to all healthcare systems to backup and protect their data.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

This should be a warning to all healthcare systems to backup and protect their data.  

At the same time, maybe it's time we made an example out of some of these hackers and scammers

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HSlim said:

At the same time, maybe it's time we made an example out of some of these hackers

We need someone with the skills to track them.   I think that is the biggest problem.   It isn't like on television where the computer people can type together on the same keyboard (to speed up the typing, :lol:) and find a hacker.  [NCIS is the funniest show there is when it comes to computers]

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

We need someone with the skills to track them.   I think that is the biggest problem.   It isn't like on television where the computer people can type together on the same keyboard (to speed up the typing, :lol:) and find a hacker.  [NCIS is the funniest show there is when it comes to computers]

I always laughed so hard at those.  But, if we ever have the opportunity, I'm all for gifting scammers all the bullets their bodies can hold.  

• Like 1

Frankly I think every single nation Russia has electronically ****ed with should send a shipload of the finest war materiel to the Ukrainians. Two can play at this shadow warfare sort of nonsense. 

28 minutes ago, HSlim said:

I always laughed so hard at those.  But, if we ever have the opportunity, I'm all for gifting scammers all the bullets their bodies can hold.  

Did you see the one with the faraday cage to keep the virus off the network?  That was the silliest one of all, a faraday cage around the computer but a wirless mouse outside the cage, AND Then the virus got to the network through the electric cable!!!   :lol:

And the best punishment I can think of for those hackers is to be left in a prison on a desert island with no internet access.   They would have to learn how to play ping pong and plant gardens.  Much better than filling them full of bullet holes.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HSlim said:

At the same time, maybe it's time we made an example out of some of these hackers and scammers

We have made an example of them.

When private citizens were hacked, there was no response.

When corporations were hacked, there was no response.

When municipalities, school districts and hospitals were hacked, there was no response.

When federal government agencies were hacked  through Solarwinds, there was no response.

We have made an example for private individuals and rival governments to show that they can get rich or act with impunity. 

Any countermeasures we have taken have not been made public.  Are we expecting Malwarebytes, Norton, McAffee, and Kaspersky to protect our citizens and defend our public  agencies from electronic invasion?

Protect our citizens and public agencies from invasion sounds like it would fall into the  rightful purview of the DOD.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

We have made an example of them.

When private citizens were hacked, there was no response.

When corporations were hacked, there was no response.

When municipalities, school districts and hospitals were hacked, there was no response.

When federal government agencies were hacked  through Solarwinds, there was no response.

We have made an example for private individuals and rival governments to show that they can get rich or act with impunity. 

Any countermeasures we have taken have not been made public.  Are we expecting Malwarebytes, Norton, McAffee, and Kaspersky to protect our citizens and defend our public  agencies from electronic invasion?

Protect our citizens and public agencies from invasion sounds like it would fall into the  rightful purview of the DOD.

Sadly, you're right

• Like 2