Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What started your awakening?

janesix

Just now, Will Due said:

Like I already said LOL:

"Judge not, that you be not judged.”

Sorry, honey, but you've been weighed in the balance and found wanting, you judgmental, hypocritical sumbich.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sorry, honey, but you've been weighed in the balance and found wanting, you judgmental, hypocritical sumbich.

:-*

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Indeed, I do not think the Buddha was any more real than Jesus. None the less, some of the ideas in practice are fruitful. 

Myself, I do think there was a great and humble man who founded Buddhism. I think he would have been horrified at his deification. Perhaps Yeshua bar Josef would have been, as well.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Myself, I do think there was a great and humble man who founded Buddhism. I think he would have been horrified at his deification, Perhaps Yeshua bar Josef would have been, as well.

Well that is as good as conclusion as any, if one was to go off the teachings credited to the Buddha. :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This is not my quote nosy matters. 

yeah,

kinda noticed that, no delete in menu, no delete in extra options on this fun carnival toy phone either.  Okay,

back to my [ Read-only ] default B).

Edited by Nosy.Matters
semantics syntax blah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

A funny aside, The Emperor Septimius Severus was visiting Scotland inspecting the fortifications north of Hadrian's Wall, when a young soldier approached him with a crown of laurels, loudly declaring the Emperor a God. The Emperor stared him down sternly and order him out of his sight. You see, Roman Emperors were only deified posthumously. 

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'm not afraid to admit it. I guess I deserved that. 

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Being humble is a good thing, Will. You are definitely humble.  

It was a fun exploration of a Jesus quote, 8ty and Hammer get the gold star for excellent contributions, though. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Being humble is a good thing, Will. You are definitely humble.  

It was a fun exploration of a Jesus quote, 8ty and Hammer get the gold star for excellent contributions, though. :P

LOL.

I guess me and Rodney Dangerfield are like blood brothers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Judge not, lest ye would be judged.:yes:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Judge not, lest ye would be judged.:yes:

Yeah yeah. Before I started all that, I figured I'd fall into my own trap. Nothing new there. :no: LOL

• Haha 3

Just now, Will Due said:

Yeah yeah. Before I started all that, I figured I'd fall into my own trap. Nothing new there. :no: LOL

Yep, no one chews shoe leather better than you.:nw:

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Will Due said:

LOL.

I guess me and Rodney Dangerfield are like blood brothers.

Hahahahaha, you do have a sense of humor. 

You brought a good discussion to the table too. 

‘’Thank you.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, eight bits said:

Somehow, "My enlightenment is bigger than yours" doesn't sound enlightened.

If Buddha had thought like that he would never have tried to teach others what he had come to understand :)

I believe i have a much deeper academic knowledge of Buddhism than  Sherapy ,and have practiced elements of its teaching as part of my life for much longer than she has.

This should be weighed when comparing our points and judgements.  

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It was a fun exploration of a Jesus quote

Oh yeah, fun.

Let's explore another one. Given we're all trying to wake up. Well at least I am. :lol:

This one's always intrigued me. I still think of it often. What did he mean exactly? Or maybe there's nothing exact about it.

"And, behold, many who are first will be last, and those who are last will many times be first.”

• Thanks 1

Just now, Will Due said:

Oh yeah, fun.

Let's explore another one. Given we're all trying to wake up. Well at least I am. :lol:

This one's always intrigued me. I still think of it often. What did he mean exactly? Or maybe there's nothing exact about it.

"And, behold, many who are first will be last, and those who are last will many times be first.”

It would help if you put your source too. 

I don’t know over to Hammies and 8ty. 

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It would help if you put your source too. 

I don’t know over to Hammies and 8ty. 

Matthew 19:30-20:16

King James Version

30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

20 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

Exactly the parable I was thinking about.

I interpret it to mean that God is much more than whatever we think it means to be fair.

Even when it looks like it's unfair. Because of what some have said is the illusion of time. 

Edited by Will Due

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Exactly the parable I was thinking about.

I interpret it to mean that God is much more than whatever we think it means to be fair.

Even when it looks like it's unfair. Because of what some have said is the illusion of time. 

Will have you heard of Ignatius contemplation? It might be something you would enjoy. Give it a Google and see if it interests you. :wub:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Will have you heard of Ignatius contemplation? It might be something you would enjoy. Give it a Google and see if it interests you. :wub:

Never heard of it.

But yeah I like it. Closeness to God. There's effort involved but it only has to come from us. :tu:

Is that about it?

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Never heard of it.

But yeah I like it. Closeness to God. There's effort involved but it only has to come from us. :tu:

Is that about it?

Loosely, it is a practice of taking the parables and teachings of the aspects of the Bible you want to probe deeper or your Blue book. Basically you imagine yourself as a part of the story and bring it to life, It is interesting, I have a good friend that is into this. She is fascinating to rap with. It  sounds like you might enjoy this. Then start a thread it would be interesting. 

https://www.luther.edu/grace-institute/assets/Ignatian_Contemplation__Imaginative_Prayer.pdf

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

I'm more of a Mark fellah, and the sense is different there than in Matthew.

The set  up is Jesus encounters a rich man who wants to become a follower ... but

10:17-22

As he was going out into the way, one ran to him, knelt before him, and asked him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”

Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except one—God. You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not give false testimony,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and mother.’

He said to him, “Teacher, I have observed all these things from my youth.”

Jesus looking at him loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack. Go, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me, taking up the cross.”

But his face fell at that saying, and he went away sorrowful, for he was one who had great possessions.

Jesus then discusses with the disciples how hard it is for rich people to enter the kingdom of heaven, including the famous comparison involving getting a camel through the eye of a needle. After which Peter says (verse 28), "We [the disciples] have left everything behind and have followed you."

Jesus replies (verses 29-31):

“Most certainly I tell you, there is no one who has left house, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or land, for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel will not receive one hundred times more now in this time: houses, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and land, with persecutions; and in the age to come eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”

And Luke tells it a third way (13:22-30), but I'm off for the night :P

Bottom line (some poeple like bottom lines, and I aim to please): @Will Due has picked a good verse for discussion, because it is a point of departure among three authors who very often simply copy off of each other. It seems to be a good, thought-provoking line, then.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

If Buddha had thought like that he would never have tried to teach others what he had come to understand :)

I believe i have a much deeper academic knowledge of Buddhism than  Sherapy ,and have practiced elements of its teaching as part of my life for much longer than she has.

This should be weighed when comparing our points and judgements.  

MW,

first “do not believe everything you think,” ~Buddha

second, you are dogmatizing Buddhism, a common mistake for one who is new to it, I once did the same. The ideas of Buddhism or Zen, or mindfulness are suggestions that one has an opportunity to put into practice or not and the only thing that matters is what one gleans from the experience.  It is a practice if there is anything of merit to any suggestion it will be apparent in the practice. It is a path of try it for yourself and see what happens, go from there. 

“Wear your ego like a loose fitting garment” ~ Buddha

Namaskar. just another perspective. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

MW,

first “do not believe everything you think,” ~Buddha

second, you are dogmatizing Buddhism, a common mistake for one who is new to it, I once did the same. The ideas of Buddhism or Zen, or mindfulness are suggestions that one has an opportunity to put into practice or not and the only thing that matters is what one gleans from the experience.  It is a practice if there is anything of merit to any suggestion it will be apparent in the practice. It is a path of try it for yourself and see what happens, go from there. 

“Wear your ego like a loose fitting garment” ~ Buddha

Namaskar

The first i learnt as a preschooler  from my parents 

IE we construct our thoughts and choose our beliefs   Beliefs are a part of our thoughts but not the entirety of them 

Understand human cognition (and how your own mind works) and you understand these words better.

No; I am doing the opposite.  I am explaining that Buddhism takes many shapes  and forms, and that everyone lives the experience in a slightly different way 

It is you who only sees one path for Buddhism and thus is being dogmatic about it.  

Read the words of Buddha, contemplate on them and understand them as best you can from within your own mind set  Then adopt them as best you can to your life (The middle path) 

Dont let anyone else tell you what Buddha meant or taught 

The same principle applies to Christ/Christianity and Mohammad/ Islam  

Don't just adopt  the dogma of others (although it's ok/helpful to study and learn all different beliefs and paths) Read their words. Take your own understanding of them, and apply them as best you can to your own life.

I've been studying and applying Buddhism to my life for  half a century,   I'm hardly "new to  it"  :) 

I have one possible disagreement with some leading Buddhists Some claim that all things are illusory 

Thats not true. All "things" are real . 

BUT for a human everything exists with our mind  Our connection to the external is via the internal

In that sense Buddhism is correct and useful

IE  our life experiences, beliefs, emptions etc.,  exist within us as responses to external and internal realities. 

They are, in that sense, illusory (although actually they are material patterns of neural energy ) 

So, when we die our universe dies with us,  because we lose all connection to, and awareness of, that universe,  UNLESS we are connected to the universal consciousness Then, perhaps, we live on as part of that consciousness. 

BUT when we die, the real universe continues unchanged .

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Obviously...

when Mr Walker mentions anything "I, Me, Mine... "

tenor.gif

~

• Haha 4

• The topic was locked