Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing man found dead inside Spanish dinosaur statue

Still Waters

Police in Catalonia are investigating the death of a man who is thought to have become trapped inside a large dinosaur statue while trying to retrieve his mobile phone.

Officers were called to the statue in Santa Coloma de Gramenet, a satellite town of Barcelona, after a man and his son noticed something inside the papier-mache stegosaurus on Saturday afternoon.

A spokeswoman for the regional police force, the Mossos d’Esquadra, said the death of the 39-year-old man was not being treated as suspicious.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/24/missing-man-found-dead-inside-spanish-dinosaur-statue

• Confused 4
  • Sad 5

I'm confused because I don't understand how he could have gotten anywhere near the mouth, much less how his mobile phone would have ended up inside of it...unless maybe he was doing a close up with a selfie stick.  But then...to climb up and in...how did he do that?  

I think it is much more likely he was robbed and strangled and stuffed in there.  But then again...how would someone get a grown man...dead weight into the dinosaur.  It is really quite confusing.

• Like 5

Also, if he did climb into the dinosaur to retrieve his mobile phone...how did he expect to find it inside the dark recesses of the dinosaur?  Still doesn't make any sense.  Possibly he was being chased and climbed up on the dinosaur and feared being shot so climbed in...attempted to call for help with his phone and dropped it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think the police are under investigating this though.  I found a picture of the statue and I don't see how he could have climbed into it unnassisted.

dinosaur-statue.png

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

I've found another source with a bit more info. It also has a short video.

https://www.rt.com/news/524661-spain-dinosaur-dead-man/

Thanks...

Inconsistencies between the two stories...

First Link: According to local media, the dead man had been reported missing by his family a few hours before his body was discovered.

SecondLink: 

The gruesome discovery was made by a father and son who were playing around the large beat-up dinosaur statue, located in the southeastern Barcelona suburb of Santa Coloma de Gramenet. According to local media reports, the father noticed a foul smell – and saw a dead body through a crack in the statue, immediately notifying the authorities.

Footage from the scene shows firefighters cutting open the prop to retrieve the body. The dead person turned out to be a local 39-year-old man, who had been reported missing by his family.

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

I think the police are under investigating this though.  I found a picture of the statue and I don't see how he could have climbed into it unnassisted.

He has to have been stuffed into the statue through the mouth.  I think this is a murder investigation.  Uh, we believe, uh, that the deceased, uh, climbed into the dinosaur, uh, because he, uh, accidentally dropped his cell phone into the mouth of the statue, uh, that's all we have at this time....yeah...that's the ticket!

Or...he was taking bath salts....

Edited by joc
  • Haha 1

@joc From your post I think you're trying to say his father found him?

Both accounts say the family had reported him missing. The father who found him wasn't the father of the dead man., he was a father, not the father.

20 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

@joc From your post I think you're trying to say his father found him?

Both accounts say the family had reported him missing. The father who found him wasn't the father of the dead man., he was a father, not the father.

I wasn't implying that the dead man's father  found him.  A father and his boy found him.  The father smelled something foul.  he looked inside and saw a body and called police. The original story says that the dead man was reported missing by his family...a few hours...before he was discovered.  He had obviously been missing a few days...but maybe that was just a coincidence that the dead mans family reported him missing and hours later he was found.  

The second story says the dead man's family had reported him missing but no time frame was given.  I was just alluding to the inconsistency of the stories...all the while, in the first story the police are saying no foul play involved...he climbed in to retrieve his cell phone and couldn't get back out.  Sounds hokey to me.

The really odd thing about all this is how he got into the dinosaur.  

1.  He climbed in on purpose.   For what reason?  Why would a sane individual of his age do something so bizarre like that?  And, from every angle I've seen, it looks rather difficult to have climbed inside on purpose...so...I don't think he did.

2.  He was already dead and the purps that killed him stuffed him into the dinosaur to hide the body until they could make a clean get away.   Seems more likely to me that foul play was involved. 

• Like 1

I'm wondering what size the guy was to be able to fit through the dinosaur's mouth, he would need to be of slim build I would think. There's also the possibility that he was put directly inside the dinosaur's leg where he was found, that makes more sense somehow.

I've found that news articles in general can differ a lot with the information they give. That's why I provide more than one source link when possible, some articles are shorter than others and leave out a lot of facts.

Local media reports suggested the deceased man dropped his mobile phone into the dinosaur and got stuck. It remains unclear how long the man was inside the prop before dying. The body has been sent for an autopsy to determine the cause of death.

https://www.rt.com/news/524661-spain-dinosaur-dead-man/

The whole incident is weird, I don't think he climbed in there by himself either. Maybe the autopsy will clear things up.

• Like 2

It's definitely intriguing. I thought Stegosaurus were herbivores? 

• Haha 2

On 5/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, OverSword said:

dinosaur-statue.png

From where was he able to get in ?  the mouth ???

22 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

From where was he able to get in ?  the mouth ???

I would say so.  The lower jaw seems to be missing.

2 hours ago, josellama2000 said:

how can i edit a previous post?

@josellama2000 By clicking on the Edit option at the bottom of your post. This brings your post up so you can make changes to it, don't forget to press 'Save' when you've finished. There's also a time limit of one hour for members editing their own posts, after that only Mods can do it. But if the edit is important you can contact one of us and we'll edit for you.

• Like 1

What a terrible way to die. Stuck, and likely slowly suffocating...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

I would say so.  The lower jaw seems to be missing.

the guy was a midget or something ?

• Like 1

I've found another video with a more close-up view of the dinosaur statue. In this one you can see its mouth, There's no way anyone could climb in through an opening that small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xf_XSJyxgg

AFP won't let me post the video here, you have to click on the link and watch it on YouTube.

The man is thought to have entered the statue through the belly of the dinosaur, where he then fell inside one leg.

The video shows the belly too.

• Like 1

How did he drop it inside the dinosaur in the first place?