Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Life Without Religion

Guyver

Can you imagine a life without religion or do you have one?  I do.  I have chosen to live my life without religion - unless it’s a religion that I make up for myself.  So, I’m going for it.  I’m making up my own religion and choosing what to believe in.  Have you ever thought of making up your own religion?  I bet you could get really crazy with it…..but, I’m trying to keep it really simple, so for now, I like Math, Science, Natural Observation, Contemplation and Study, plus the Eleven Rules of the Earth.  I’m not saying I am a Satanist, but I like some of the rules they made better than the Ten Commandments.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

In my religion, you can’t hate people because of the color of their skin, or their religion, or gender, you only hate them if they are worthy of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Can you imagine a life without religion or do you have one?  I do.

Hi Guyver

Yes of course as I have not had one in quite some time. Can I imagine a life without believers is another question and truth be told no I can not imagine that.:tu:

jmccr8

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And number one rule of my religion, never shoot up and don’t go shooting people ever.  Unless there were no other option in order to defend yourself or loved ones.

• Like 1

I don't consider myself especially religious or spiritual or anything. I definitely don't belong to any organized religion. Even so, I don't advocate for the removal or abolishment of religion. While too many unholy things are done in the name of religion. or using religion as a cover, I believe that if a person genuinely believes in something and uses that belief to improve the world and and the lives of the people in it, it can be beneficial. My thought is, if you strive to be a good person, it doesn't matter what you believe. Pretty much every religious scripture has some version of "Be good to others," and it's a valid sentiment whether or not the speaker started a religion, is religious, or atheist, or just doesn't care at all.

Religion is a tool that should be used to improve the world. It's individuals who get it wrong. I can make exactly the same point about science.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BTW, this is totally off topic, please forgive me, but is anyone out there familiar with a tune called “Into the Night” by Benny Mardones?  

26 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Guyver

Yes of course as I have not had one in quite some time. Can I imagine a life without believers is another question and truth be told no I can not imagine that.:tu:

jmccr8

That is very mean.  Shame on you.  Now, you must stand in the corner and count to 150. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Now, you must stand in the corner and count to 150. 

147-148-149.:D

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, theotherguy said:

I don't consider myself especially religious or spiritual or anything. I definitely don't belong to any organized religion. Even so, I don't advocate for the removal or abolishment of religion. While too many unholy things are done in the name of religion. or using religion as a cover, I believe that if a person genuinely believes in something and uses that belief to improve the world and and the lives of the people in it, it can be beneficial. My thought is, if you strive to be a good person, it doesn't matter what you believe. Pretty much every religious scripture has some version of "Be good to others," and it's a valid sentiment whether or not the speaker started a religion, is religious, or atheist, or just doesn't care at all.

Religion is a tool that should be used to improve the world. It's individuals who get it wrong. I can make exactly the same point about science.

I do not advocate for the removal of religion.  I agree with you completely.  If someone believes in religion, good for them, I used to.  I totally used to believe in religion, I was a bit of an old time Pentecostal myself….not the kind who picked up rattlesnakes, I guess I could say I’ve never been that stupid, but anyway…yeah.  I just believe that anyone has the right to believe whatever the eff it is they wish to.

• Like 1

As long as people don’t go killing people, I say their religion is fine.  But if they start killing people, forget about it, not cool, not OK.  Live and let live, that is the number one commandment of my new religion.

You don’t kill animals unless you intend to eat them, or they need to be killed for sickness or injury.

• Like 2

Believing in religion is one thing. But is it the same as believing in God?

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

In the minds of some it is.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Are you not one yourself who’s religious beliefs shape their view of God?

3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Are you not one yourself who’s religious beliefs shape their view of God?

It's the other way around. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

One doesn't need the former in order to believe in some version of the latter. 

cormac

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

It's the other way around. 

So, you’re saying God shapes your religious beliefs?  He tells you what to believe in?

33 minutes ago, theotherguy said:

I’m not sure why more dudes don’t bring in goddess worship.  Ooops….they do.  They just don’t go making a thing about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Belief in religion does not reveal who God is.

But faith in who God is, does reveal what religion should be.

Edited by Will Due

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Belief in religion does not reveal who God is.

But faith in who God is does reveal what religion should be.

Ok.  That’s fair enough, except for the people who believe that their God and religion tell them to kill other people to please God, like the Muslims who kill Christians do.

So, faith has failed.  You can have faith in right things or wrong things.

• Like 2

50% used to be an “F” in the grade books I grew up with.

• Like 1

Maybe this world needs a religion like mine that actually works.  You never need apologize or repent for happy hour in my religion, as long as you were at home.  In public, you need to drive….no drinking.

• Like 3

In my religion, you may not harm children, nor may you lie to them.  So, you don’t get to make them believe in Santa or the Easter bunny, instead, you say, “These are pagan festivals we observe which are like fairy tales, but, since we like to celebrate with friends and family, we keep these ancient traditions alive,” or some such thing.

We observe these rituals because we want to get together, give gifts, and drink too much….and deal with all the after effects - if there be any.

• Like 5

It’s not because your a sinner and angry God wants to throw you into hell unless you repent and believe in Jesus, it’s just ancient people made up these beliefs, and thanks to America and Charlton Heston, among many other influences, this is the best we can come up with.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Guyver said:

BTW, this is totally off topic, please forgive me, but is anyone out there familiar with a tune called “Into the Night” by Benny Mardones?  

* is confused * :unsure:

• Thanks 1