Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crochet help, anyone?

Bendy Demon

Is there anyone here that does crochet? If so I have a couple of questions for a problem I am having.

Ok..one is this, I completed a small blanket using half-double crochet and it turned out ok until I tried to put in a border; what I did was to try and put a slip-stitch border on all sides to clean up -more specifically- the sides which looked pretty cruddy. Now I was able to do the slip stitch on the top as it was easy to do and probably unnecessary too. When it came to the sides, however, it wasn't so easy as I wasn't sure where to put the stitches so instead I used a slip stitch on the top, a single crochet on the sides.

My next problem was the corners, I don't know if, when I get to the corners I finish off with a chain one (like if I was gonna do a new row) then put two single crochets in the corner before going down the sides.

So my next problem -among many- is marking the stitches. With single crochet it is easy 'cuz there is just one stitch but with half double there are kinda two parts to it and whenever I get to the end of my row with half-double, I mark it with a bobby pin and after awhile I notice a big space between one 'row' and the next so I figure putting a pin in between the two that mark the ends of each row; sounds easy enough until I realize that I am unsure whether to put my slip or single crochet border into the turning chain itself or what.

I am unsure how to explain it better and many video tutorials are not very..precise on that.

Ok so..in regards to the border issue, when I finished the border on my blanket -slip stitch on top and bottom and single on the sides- the sides seemed of but the top and bottom bowed inwards a bit and the corners curled in a bit too.

Should I have left the top and bottom alone and just do the sides singularly as in do one side and bind off at the corner then do the same for the other or should I do a single crochet all around the edges?

Should I put one,two or three stitches into each corner?

Sometimes it is hard to find the answers I need so if anyone knowledgeable on crocheting can help, I'd be grateful.

• Like 1

Hi Bendy :st. I do not do crochet but I do other crafty things and I have a friend who started crocheting about 18mths ago. We have both found very helpful videos on YouTube for just about any craft you can think of. You might have to try a few different ones until you find someone that goes at a suitable speed for you and has clear filming. Of course you can stop, start and reverse the video as much as you like without feeling that you may be annoying a 'real life' person! :lol:

Good Luck, I hope you find something suitable. Would you like to show us some of your handiwork? I for one would love to see it. :)

11 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

Crochet help, anyone?

I don't need any at the moment, but thanks for the offer.

;)

• Haha 1

Too much tension on the yarn, too much tension in the hand holding the needle, or a flawed foundation are often to blame for curling. Your foundation is probably OK, but you might be having a tension problem on your corners, either in the thread or in your hand. 

Also, if you have finished stitching, have you blocked your blanket yet? Blocking often settles out curves and waves in a finished project. 

3 hours ago, rashore said:

Too much tension on the yarn, too much tension in the hand holding the needle, or a flawed foundation are often to blame for curling. Your foundation is probably OK, but you might be having a tension problem on your corners, either in the thread or in your hand. 

Also, if you have finished stitching, have you blocked your blanket yet? Blocking often settles out curves and waves in a finished project. 

Hmm..that may be. I followed the directions on one youtube video that says I should put two or three stitches in the corners so maybe those are too tight.

My next issue is if I really need to put a Slip Stitch or Single Crochet border all around the project considering that the top and bottom already have a neat, definable edge or if I can just put a Single Crochet on the left and right side separately. As in, put a Single Crochet border on the left, bind it off then do the right side? This may possibly eliminate the corners curling and the top and bottom bowing then I can just put in the border I wish afterwards.

I haven't blocked it, all I did was fold it best I could and leave it for awhile; it seemed to help a bit so I may just have to let it be for a tad longer.

Anyways, thanks you for the help..I am full well aware that youtube has videos but sometimes there are particular questions I need answered and I can't sift through numerous vids to find the answers and I am not going to subscribe to a site just to have the occasional question.

• Like 1