Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Manwon Lender

Post a daily Buddhist Prayer, Photo, or Quote by Gautama Buddha discussions are also welcome

583 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Will Due

 

"It is evil to see sin where there is no sin; to see no sin where there is sin.

"The tamed mind yields happiness. He is the greatest of warriors who overcomes and subdues himself."

- Buddha

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
12 minutes ago, Will Due said:

 

"It is evil to see sin where there is no sin; to see no sin where there is sin.

"The tamed mind yields happiness. He is the greatest of warriors who overcomes and subdues himself."

- Buddha

 

 

Beautiful quote my friend, thanks for your participation I appreciate it very much.

Peace

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HandsomeGorilla

If I had to compartmentalize my views of the world, people and mother nature, I suppose Buddhism is probably the closest ideology 

I've never truly studied it, but I'll be watching this thread

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
4 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

If I had to compartmentalize my views of the world, people and mother nature, I suppose Buddhism is probably the closest ideology 

I've never truly studied it, but I'll be watching this thread

Thank you for your participation in this thread. If there is anything specific you have questions about I may be able to help you and if I can't, I can help you find the resources you are looking for. But, it's important to remember that Buddhists are all students, and the distance we can travel on the Center path during a life time is only limited by our ability to purge our own inadequate mental traits. 

Peace:tu:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HandsomeGorilla
1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thank you for your participation in this thread. If there is anything specific you have questions about I may be able to help you and if I can't, I can help you find the resources you are looking for. But, it's important to remember that Buddhists are all students, and the distance we can travel on the Center path during a life time is only limited by our ability to purge our own inadequate mental traits. 

Peace:tu:

The dissolution of ego, finding and being comfortable with my place in the universe and the ability to differentiate between things I can change and things I can't

Those are both my short and long term goals

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wistman

A short poem from the Zen master, Dogen:

 

Treading along in this dreamlike, illusory realm,
Without looking for the traces I may have left;
A cuckoo's song beckons me to return home;
Hearing this, I tilt my head to see
Who has told me to turn back;

But do not ask me where I am going,
As I travel in this limitless world,
Where every step I take is my home.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
35 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

The dissolution of ego, finding and being comfortable with my place in the universe and the ability to differentiate between things I can change and things I can't

Those are both my short and long term goals

You first goal is the most complicated goal for any Buddhist. This is something I have been working on for for many years. I am fortunate because of the access I have to a teacher who can help me. However I still have a number Sites that I use as reference sources. In the following link is a discussion on the subject of Ego, and it will give you a reference point to start from.

https://www.buddhismforhappiness.com/articles-archive/2018/5/11/the-ego-g6j5a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thank you for your participation in this thread. If there is anything specific you have questions about I may be able to help you and if I can't, I can help you find the resources you are looking for. But, it's important to remember that Buddhists are all students, and the distance we can travel on the Center path during a life time is only limited by our ability to purge our own inadequate mental traits. 

Peace:tu:

My go to Buddha quote is  “do not believe everything you think” 

I find a lot of wisdom in Thich Nhat Hahn too. 

“To meditate does not mean to fight with a problem. To mediate means to observe. Your smile proves it. It proves you are being gentle with yourself  that the sun of awareness is shining in you, that you have control of your situation. You are yourself and you have acquired some peace. ‘Thich Nhat Hahn

‘Meditation can help us embrace our worries, our fear, our anger and that is very healing.”Thich Nhat Hahn

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
9 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

The dissolution of ego, finding and being comfortable with my place in the universe and the ability to differentiate between things I can change and things I can't

Those are both my short and long term goals

One doesn’t lose their ego, they just set it aside. IMHO

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

Echoes deeply in my mind

Down long unfrequented corridors

Dusty and forsaken, 

The lost and wistful voices of time.

Night broods like a new moon risen

Star flare cold and lonely overhead

The cries of the never-born

For whom life was ungiven

Rain like lonely tear-drops

From a thousand starry eyes

Watching through heaven's windows

From the other side of the sky.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
37 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

My go to Buddha quote is  “do not believe everything you think” 

I find a lot of wisdom in Thich Nhat Hahn too. 

“To meditate does not mean to fight with a problem. To mediate means to observe. Your smile proves it. It proves you are being gentle with yourself  that the sun of awareness is shining in you, that you have control of your situation. You are yourself and you have acquired some peace. ‘Thich Nhat Hahn

‘Meditation can help us embrace our worries, our fear, our anger and that is very healing.”Thich Nhat Hahn

Very beautiful quote and a very profound way of thinking that I certainly appreciate it. For me there are to many quotes by profound Buddhist Masters to be able to choose just one, it is impossible for me. Because when I think about all the wisdom shared, I just can't pick just one I I I want to find them all, :w00t: I am so greedy, Bad Buddist!!:cry::D

Thank you very much for comments my Sister and I hope you don't mind that I mentioned and brought you to this thread!

Peace. :tu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
9 hours ago, Wistman said:

A short poem from the Zen master, Dogen:

 

Treading along in this dreamlike, illusory realm,
Without looking for the traces I may have left;
A cuckoo's song beckons me to return home;
Hearing this, I tilt my head to see
Who has told me to turn back;

But do not ask me where I am going,
As I travel in this limitless world,
Where every step I take is my home.

That's a very beautiful and enlightening poem my friend, thanks for your participation in this thread.

Take Care, partner!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
34 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Echoes deeply in my mind

Down long unfrequented corridors

Dusty and forsaken, 

The lost and wistful voices of time.

Night broods like a new moon risen

Star flare cold and lonely overhead

The cries of the never-born

For whom life was ungiven

Rain like lonely tear-drops

From a thousand starry eyes

Watching through heaven's windows

From the other side of the sky.

Thank you for your participation in this thread, that is a beautiful peice did you right it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)

Later today, its currently 0805 hear in Korea, I am going to go my favorite meditation spot. It located just a few miles from my home here in Seosan, South Korea. The Rock-carved triad buddha ( Better known as the Smile of Baekje ) is located on Gayasan Mountain, and its a short climb to the location. What's wonderful about this location, is since it is located outside of the city of Seosan, and most kKoreansxare working, the site is normally empty during the day. I have spent two or three hours there without seeing another human, it's just me and the Buddhist Squirrels I feed!:D

Below is the historical significance of the carving, the part it played, and the estimated time frame in which it was created.

http://english.cha.go.kr/chaen/search/selectGeneralSearchDetail.do?

Have a wonderful evening or day!:)

77BA7E47-DD01-49FE-ADA6-C9CB5C301914-3793-0000074AF81A7ACE.jpg

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Echoes deeply in my mind

Down long unfrequented corridors

Dusty and forsaken, 

The lost and wistful voices of time.

Night broods like a new moon risen

Star flare cold and lonely overhead

The cries of the never-born

For whom life was ungiven

Rain like lonely tear-drops

From a thousand starry eyes

Watching through heaven's windows

From the other side of the sky.

So beautiful and poignantly sad, there can be such beauty in sadness. Well done my poet friend. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Very beautiful quote and a very profound way of thinking that I certainly appreciate it. For me there are to many quotes by profound Buddhist Masters to be able to choose just one, it is impossible for me. Because when I think about all the wisdom shared, I just can't pick just one I I I want to find them all, :w00t: I am so greedy, Bad Buddist!!:cry::D

Thank you very much for comments my Sister and I hope you don't mind that I mentioned and brought you to this thread!

Peace. :tu:

This is a very fun and inspiring thread, thank you for having me.:wub:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This is a very fun and inspiring thread, thank you for having me.:wub:

Please, the pleasure is all mine sincerely!!:tu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Later today, its currently 0805 hear in Korea, I am going to go my favorite meditation spot. It located just a few miles from my home here in Seosan, South Korea. The Rock-carved triad buddha ( Better known as the Smile of Baekje ) is located on Gayasan Mountain, and its a short climb to the location. What's wonderful about this location, is since it is located outside of the city of Seosan, and most kKoreansxare working, the site is normally empty during the day. I have spent two or three hours there without seeing another human, it's just me and the Buddhist Squirrels I feed!:D

Below is the historical significance of the carving, the part it played, and the estimated time frame in which it was created.

http://english.cha.go.kr/chaen/search/selectGeneralSearchDetail.do?

Have a wonderful evening or day!:)

77BA7E47-DD01-49FE-ADA6-C9CB5C301914-3793-0000074AF81A7ACE.jpg

So peaceful looking. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw


Mandalay
 


moulmein.jpg
 
BY THE old Moulmein Pagoda, lookin' lazy at the sea,
There's a Burma girl a-settin', and I know she thinks o' me;
For the wind is in the palm-trees, and the temple-bells they say:
"Come you back, you British soldier; come you back to Mandalay! "
Come you back to Mandalay,
Where the old Flotilla lay:
Can't you 'ear their paddles chunkin' from Rangoon to Mandalay ?
On the road to Mandalay,
Where the flyin'-fishes play,
An' the dawn comes up like thunder outer China 'crost the Bay!

'Er petticoat was yaller an' 'er little cap was green,
An' 'er name was Supi-yaw-lat - jes' the same as Theebaw's Queen,
An' I seed her first a-smokin' of a whackin' white cheroot,
An' a-wastin' Christian kisses on an 'eathen idol's foot:
Bloomin' idol made o' mud
Wot they called the Great Gawd Budd
Plucky lot she cared for idols when I kissed 'er where she stud!
On the road to Mandalay...

When the mist was on the rice-fields an' the sun was droppin' slow,
She'd git 'er little banjo an' she'd sing "Kulla-lo-lo!
With 'er arm upon my shoulder an' 'er cheek agin my cheek
We useter watch the steamers an' the hathis pilin' teak.
Elephints a-pilin' teak
In the sludgy, squdgy creek,
Where the silence 'ung that 'eavy you was 'arf afraid to speak!
On the road to Mandalay...

But that's all shove be'ind me - long ago an' fur away
An' there ain't no 'busses runnin' from the Bank to Mandalay;
An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells:
"If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else."
No! you won't 'eed nothin' else
But them spicy garlic smells,
An' the sunshine an' the palm-trees an' the tinkly temple-bells;
On the road to Mandalay...

I am sick o' wastin' leather on these gritty pavin'-stones,
An' the blasted English drizzle wakes the fever in my bones;
Tho' I walks with fifty 'ousemaids outer Chelsea to the Strand,
An' they talks a lot o' lovin', but wot do they understand?
Beefy face an' grubby 'and -
Law! wot do they understand?
I've a neater, sweeter maiden in a cleaner, greener land!
On the road to Mandalay...

Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
Where there aren't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst;
For the temple-bells are callin', an' it's there that I would be
By the old Moulmein Pagoda, looking lazy at the sea;
On the road to Mandalay,
Where the old Flotilla lay,
With our sick beneath the awnings when we went to Mandalay!
O the road to Mandalay,
Where the flyin'-fishes play,
An' the dawn comes up like thunder outer China 'crost the Bay !

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thank you for your participation in this thread, that is a beautiful peice did you right it?

Yes, or it wrote itself and I was but the messenger.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
54 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yes, or it wrote itself and I was but the messenger.

Either way, it a very nice piece and thanks again for sharing it!:tu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
6 hours ago, Sherapy said:

So peaceful looking. 

I just returned home from the mountain, I spent an hour and half in Meditation and Contemplation and for the first time in a couple of weeks I finally feel refreshed, and my pain level is much lower than it has been.:tsu: I don't know if the cycle of pain I  normally go through relaxed naturally like it does normally over time or if today's activities are acting like a placebo that has effected my mental state which relaxed my body and reduced my pain.

I don't care which of the above factors has relieved my back pain, I only wish I could reproduce this effect at will. However, I don't think that is possible, but wishful thinking and a positive attitude are certainly not harmful so I will just bask in today's events and enjoy the moment while it lasts. :yes:

Thanks for your comments, and the support you have freely given on many occasions my Sister!:tu:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)

During my studies of Buddhism I have found an encountered some fantastic material online and some misleading material that can be confusing and according to what I have learned the paper included in the link below misrepresents the Buddhist tenets of Karma. If you have time to read it ( 4 pages long ) please do so and give me feedback based upon you knowledge on the subject of Karma.

Disclaimer: For anyone reading the comments in this thread who doesn't practice or have a working knowledge of Buddhism. I do not recommend the information in the link below because I find it confusing and because of this it is presented as a piece for discussion and nothing else. 

Thank you for your consideration in advance!:tu:

Karma, by Mohsen Paul Sarfarazi - Ph.D. https://multidimensional-consciousness.tripod.com/webonmediacontents/4 Karma.pdf

 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.