Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Post a daily Buddhist Prayer, Photo, or Quote by Gautama Buddha discussions are also welcome

Grim Reaper 6

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

1ED2C09F-CEEB-452E-9B31-AD2359B1E0A2-5454-0000071968DABBC6.jpg

9F58ADA1-684B-465E-BA30-F55FCCBCB67C-5454-00000718D660FC62.jpg

Those are wonderful,and ring true.. Thanks Manwon,  it's easy to "spend time on" those who love us? ..forgive me?;) for sharing some words from another source? ..because when I read the top one ^ it made me think of this >  Mathew 5:44  But ,I say unto you ,Love your enemies,bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite fully use you,and persecute you.

1Corinthians 13:1   If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:22 PM, docyabut2 said:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/afghanistan-bamiyan-buddha_n_7564048

The Sunni Muslim Taliban forces blew up the Buddha statues in March 2001

The ancient sandstone carvings, once the world's tallest Buddhas, were annihilated in an act of destruction that shocked the world,

The joke seems to be on the Taliban because Buddhists are very well aware of impermanence. 

They'd probably just be like...oh...those are gone. *shrugs, goes back to meditating*

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, lightly said:

Those are wonderful,and ring true.. Thanks Manwon,  it's easy to "spend time on" those who love us? ..forgive me?;) for sharing some words from another source? ..because when I read the top one ^ it made me think of this >  Mathew 5:44  But ,I say unto you ,Love your enemies,bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite fully use you,and persecute you.

1Corinthians 13:1   If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

It is interesting how easily quotes from the Bible and quotes from Buddha do sound very similar. I thinks it is because the lesson in both cases is the same.

Thanks for your reply, and the comparison you brought up I never realized those similarities existed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8F90B57A-7351-4DA9-AC20-CE990BE39ACC-5725-00000757794143BC.jpg

6B2845F1-60FC-40D0-9487-36A0384C39D4-5725-0000075704671DF5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

EB423F36-DA75-424E-9D4E-3D012C942651-5999-000007B5E639469A.jpg

Namaste

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

“Out of a pure heart shall gladness spring forth to the Infinite; all my being shall be at peace with this supermortal rejoicing. My soul is filled with content, and my heart overflows with the bliss of peaceful trust. I have no fear; I am free from anxiety. I dwell in security, and my enemies cannot alarm me. I am satisfied with the fruits of my confidence. I have found the approach to the Immortal easy of access. I pray for faith to sustain me on the long journey; I know that faith from beyond will not fail me. I know my brethren will prosper if they become imbued with the faith of the Immortal, even the faith that creates modesty, uprightness, wisdom, courage, knowledge, and perseverance. Let us forsake sorrow and disown fear. By faith let us lay hold upon true righteousness and genuine manliness. Let us learn to meditate on justice and mercy. Faith is man’s true wealth; it is the endowment of virtue and glory."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

It is interesting how easily quotes from the Bible and quotes from Buddha do sound very similar. I thinks it is because the lesson in both cases is the same.

Thanks for your reply, and the comparison you brought up I never realized those similarities existed!

Yup!  Thanks Manwon.   Buddha is said to have lived 500 yards befor Jesus is said to have lived...it is also said, by some, that Buddhist teachings had reached much of the Roman Empire by that time.  Hope no one minds a few more comparisons in beliefs.

Buddha..  Consider others as yourself. ****Jesus.. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  

B..  Let Truth be your light. **** J.. Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light for my path.

B.. Let us live most happily, possessing nothing; let us feed on joy, like radiant gods.

J.. Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of God.

I have always enjoyed finding similarities in people's beliefs...it makes sence that People are similar !  

I also love finding similarities between people's Spiritual and Scientific beliefs..  Both mindsets place LIGHT at ,or very near, the Beginning of our Universe.   ..I'd better end this speal with a Buddha quote..;)

.   Jesus.. Why do you see the splinter in someone else's eye. . .and never notice the log in your own ?

.  Buddha... The faults of others is easier to see than one's own.        (Amen Bud!). :P

• Like 7

11 hours ago, lightly said:

Yup!  Thanks Manwon.   Buddha is said to have lived 500 yards befor Jesus is said to have lived...it is also said, by some, that Buddhist teachings had reached much of the Roman Empire by that time.  Hope no one minds a few more comparisons in beliefs.

Buddha..  Consider others as yourself. ****Jesus.. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  

B..  Let Truth be your light. **** J.. Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light for my path.

B.. Let us live most happily, possessing nothing; let us feed on joy, like radiant gods.

J.. Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of God.

I have always enjoyed finding similarities in people's beliefs...it makes sence that People are similar !  

I also love finding similarities between people's Spiritual and Scientific beliefs..  Both mindsets place LIGHT at ,or very near, the Beginning of our Universe.   ..I'd better end this speal with a Buddha quote..;)

.   Jesus.. Why do you see the splinter in someone else's eye. . .and never notice the log in your own ?

.  Buddha... The faults of others is easier to see than one's own.        (Amen Bud!). :P

Well said.:wub:

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Well said.:wub:

Yes it certainly was, and it's great that people are continuing to support this thread.:tu:

66BEE654-1734-423F-87A1-3A23CD5246E6-6932-0000080871452326.jpg

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16DF8739-06FF-4FFA-B369-A4671DC36FDD-6932-00000809776D173A.jpg

Karma Namaste

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 5

“Let go, or be dragged.” Zen Proverb

“To accept some idea of truth without experiencing it is like a painting of a cake on paper which you cannot eat.” – Suzuki Roshi

“Self-realization is effortless. What you are trying to find is what you already are.”- Ramesh Balsekar

“When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself.”– Shunryu Suzuki

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The Fox and the Tiger... 

ONE day a fox encountered a tiger. The tiger showed his fangs and waved his claws and wanted to eat him up. But the fox said: 'Good sir, you must not think that you alone are the king of beasts. Your courage is no match for mine. Let us go together and you keep behind me. If the humans are not afraid of me when they see me, then you may eat me up.'

http://chineseaesop.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-fox-and-tiger.html?m=1

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

“To accept some idea of truth without experiencing it is like a painting of a cake on paper which you cannot eat.” – Suzuki Roshi

“Self-realization is effortless. What you are trying to find is what you already are.”- Ramesh Balsekar

“When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself.”– Shunryu Suzuki

Beautiful pieces thanks very much for sharing.:tu:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

The Fox and the Tiger... 

~

That's really cool, my friend I enjoyed it very much.:tu:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, third_eye said:

The Fox and the Tiger... 

~

2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Here a haunting little song by some Country Musics finest. While it wasn't written about reincarnation in the manner that is described in Buddhist Philosophy, whenever I hear this song it reminds me of it, i hope you enjoy it.

Songs Lyrics:

I was a highwayman
Along the coach roads I did ride
With sword and pistol by my side
Many a young girl lost her baubles to my trade
Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade
They finally hung me in the spring of twenty-five
But I am still alive
I was a sailor
I was born upon the tide
And with the sea I did abide
I sailed a schooner round the Horn to Mexico
I went aloft and furled the mainsail in a blow
And when the yards broke off they said that I got killed
But I am living still
I was a dam builder
Across the river deep and wide
Where steel and water did collide
A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado
I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below
They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound
But I am still around
Yes, I'll always be around and around and around and around and around and around
I fly a starship
Across the Universe divide
And when I reach the other side
I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
But I will remain
And I'll be back again, and again and again and again and again and again and again

Enjoy Namaste

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 5

Thoughts for today!!

Namaste

CC4DF482-E5DB-43FA-9373-27411C8D5470-7230-00000847F72DA16F.jpg

• Like 3

The Basic Tenants of Buddhism - The Four Noble Truths

1. All existence is dukkha. The word dukkha has been variously translated as ‘suffering’, ‘anguish’, ‘pain’, or ‘unsatisfactoriness’. The Buddha’s insight was that our lives are a struggle, and we do not find ultimate happiness or satisfaction in anything we experience. This is the problem of existence.

2. The cause of dukkha is craving. The natural human tendency is to blame our difficulties on things outside ourselves. But the Buddha says that their actual root is to be found in the mind itself. In particular our tendency to grasp at things (or alternatively to push them away) places us fundamentally at odds with the way life really is.

3. The cessation of dukkha comes with the cessation of craving. As we are the ultimate cause of our difficulties, we are also the solution. We cannot change the things that happen to us, but we can change our responses.

4. There is a path that leads from dukkha. Although the Buddha throws responsibility back on to the individual he also taught methods through which we can change ourselves, for example the Noble Eightfold Path.

https://thebuddhistcentre.com/text/four-noble-truths

• Like 4

The Noble Eightfold Path

• The Buddha’s ‘Noble Eightfold Path’ is a further ‘unpacking’ of the ‘Threefold Way’ and is perhaps the most widely known of the Buddha’s teachings. It is ancient, extending back to the Buddha’s first discourse and is highly valued as a treasury of wisdom and practical guidance on how to live our lives. Traditionally the teaching is seen as highlighting eight areas or ‘limbs’ of ‘right’ practice (Sangharakshita prefers ‘perfect’ to ‘right’), which sit in mutual relationship to one other and are each essential elements in an integrated approach to the Dharma:

1. Right Understanding or Perfect Vision
    2. Right Resolve or Perfect Emotion
    3. Right Speech or Perfect Speech
    4. Right Action or Perfect Action
    5. Right Livelihood or Perfect Livelihood
    6. Right Effort or Perfect Effort
    7. Right Mindfulness or Perfect Awareness
    8. Right Meditation or Perfect Samadhi
    9. https://thebuddhistcentre.com/text/noble-eightfold-path
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

The Basic Tenants of Buddhism - The Four Noble Truths

1. All existence is dukkha. The word dukkha has been variously translated as ‘suffering’, ‘anguish’, ‘pain’, or ‘unsatisfactoriness’. The Buddha’s insight was that our lives are a struggle, and we do not find ultimate happiness or satisfaction in anything we experience. This is the problem of existence.

2. The cause of dukkha is craving. The natural human tendency is to blame our difficulties on things outside ourselves. But the Buddha says that their actual root is to be found in the mind itself. In particular our tendency to grasp at things (or alternatively to push them away) places us fundamentally at odds with the way life really is.

3. The cessation of dukkha comes with the cessation of craving. As we are the ultimate cause of our difficulties, we are also the solution. We cannot change the things that happen to us, but we can change our responses.

4. There is a path that leads from dukkha. Although the Buddha throws responsibility back on to the individual he also taught methods through which we can change ourselves, for example the Noble Eightfold Path.

https://thebuddhistcentre.com/text/four-noble-truths

In my yoga practice, the first thing that became obvious in a room heated to 115, 40 percent humidity, holding poses for one minute is that we all suffer. :tu:

One becomes quite proactive real fast too, meaning one hydrates and learns to breathe through it. :wub:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

0C9B96B7-FCDB-4A0B-8BF9-22D931FFA589-7480-000009023A26D23F.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

0C9B96B7-FCDB-4A0B-8BF9-22D931FFA589-7480-000009023A26D23F.jpg

I love this, for me, everyone that enters into my life brings an opportunity for all of the above and more. Even those I do not like it is a reminder that we don’t like everyone and everyone doesn’t like us nor do we have to. I had an amazing conversation with a friend today and we shared in our gratitude for the adventure’s and people life graces us with. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I love this, for me, everyone that enters into my life brings an opportunity for all of the above and more. Even those I do not like it is a reminder that we don’t like everyone and everyone doesn’t like us nor do we have to. I had an amazing conversation with a friend today and we shared in our gratitude for the adventure’s and people life graces us with. 

My Sister, when I was browsing through online quotes to add to this thread this one also stopped me dead in my tracks. I also fine it a great piece of wisdom, and I also can apply it to my own life. I think the author was  very wise individual whose insight is really wonderful. 

Thanks very much for comments, it's always great to have you post to this thread my Sister!:tu:

• Like 1

Zen is not a particular state but the normal state: silent, peaceful, unagitated. In Zazen neither intention, analysis, specific effort nor imagination take place. It's enough just to be without hypocrisy, dogmatism, arrogance - embracing all opposites."

-- Taisen Deshimaru

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

That's a very beautiful piece and really like it a lot thank you for sharing

Below is something I found the other day. I thought you may enjoy it.

Namaste

The Zen master of mindfulness' last trip home.

At 93 and having spent most his life in exile, Zen master Thich Nhat Hahn, considered the most influential Buddhist monk after the Dalai Lama, spends his last years in the pagoda in Vietnam where he was ordained almost eight decades ago.

“He was in exile and his books were banned for many years. The exile began in 1966 under the government of South Vietnam because he had come out to the West and spoke against the war,” said Sister True Dedication, disciple and collaborator of Thich Nhat Hanh. EFE-EPA

https://www.efe.com/efe/english/world/the-zen-master-of-mindfulness-last-trip-home/50000262-4138186

908CFAF2-5A6B-412D-BFE8-AE74804B10FB-7694-0000093F52FBC3B2.jpg

13133627-CAD9-4859-B0AB-F7303F0099D2-7777-000009437FA43BCF.jpg

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

E1E8998F-E789-4312-ACA0-5EEF6BC7355F-7777-000009F4EF7A57C6.jpg

9445BCED-0F7B-4078-9279-13C63876E27D-7777-000009F4918E128F.jpg

A4F64953-A723-44D7-9006-25F456FFF72A-7777-000009F518D58DBA.jpg

FAE67CB2-3DDB-4253-B29C-30F499088F9C-7777-000009F583B8016B.jpg

• Like 2